Looking for help on British physical mannerisms.

Veritass

Emperor
In my next acting role, I am playing Sir Evelyn Oakleigh in Anything Goes.

I am working on the English accent with a CD and some coaching from the director, and the text is obviously from the script so I don't have to worry about word choice.

If some of you chaps from across the pond would be so kind, are there some physical movements, postures, etc. that would help to brand me as British upper crust? The play is a musical and a farce, so it is fine if the movements are campy or over the top.

Thanks in advance.

Is your character already wearing a bowler? If not, he needs to.

Hold your cup of tea with the little finger standing straight up.

if i ever go to america i really will have to do that with any drink

for upper crust stereotypes trying holding ur head in such a way that ur looking down ur nose at evry1

Have a pipe, and use it to point with.

The Prince Charlie absent minded streightening of your cuffs. And remember the toffs never put their hands in their pockets.

If some of you chaps from across the pond would be so kind, are there some physical movements, postures, etc. that would help to brand me as British upper crust? The play is a musical and a farce, so it is fine if the movements are campy or over the top.

Ermmm... traditional british upper crust mannerisms are completely antithetical to campy or over the top.

Try not to move your lips, especially the top one, when speaking.
In fact, try not to breathe...it's vulgar.

Watch Hugh Grant in as many films as possible. Learn how he moves, listen to how he talks and perfect his mannerisms.

Don't do any of those, and you'll be fine.

Are we talking the modern aristocracy, or the pre 19th century aristocracy. These days there pretty much like everyone else, except for the speech mannerisms and the air of cultural superiority perhaps?

Copy Prince Charles.

Keep your hands behind your back.

Dont move your jaw when you talk

Hopefully these Etiquettes would help: European Etiquette: United Kingdom.

Fur a taboo? Some of that was accurate, but some just strange.

Always stand up when someone else enters the room.
Shake hands apon first meeting someone, or over a deal (if you stoop to conduct business) but never again: shaking hands at every meeting is crude and lower-class. American businessmen have popularised it, but an old aristocrat won't bother with that.
Never touch someone except to shake hands or kiss a lady's hand.
Never let your expression change quickly. Your face must be under absolute control. Looks of shock and horror must creep, not jump, onto your face, no matter how startling the cause.

I'll sit in the first class carriage tonight on the way home and take notes.

Although all the posh folk would be going in the opposite direction to me.
(I work in a rich dormitory town in the Thames valley and live in London, all the bankers do the opposite)

I'll sit in the first class carriage tonight on the way home and take notes.

Although all the posh folk would be going in the opposite direction to me.
(I work in a rich dormitory town in the Thames valley and live in London, all the bankers do the opposite)

But the upper classes wont be in 1st, unless over 60 or someone else is paying. They may own half of Northumberland but make being frugal a positive fetish. There are members of the aristocracy who havnt actually spent any money in generations.

Just pretend that you like all sport and that you are no good at it. This will make very British in a flash.

I see someone's still sore about the rugby. :p:D

Top Bottom