Losing diplomatic favor

oPunchDrunko

Prince
This must have been changed after October of last year. I just started a new game yesterday and decided to be a warmonger. I captured England’s capital and didn’t pay attention to my diplomatic favor being negative. When world congress came around I was taken by surprise that I had 0 diplomatic favor.

I’m guessing the developers put this in place to counteract being a warmonger and taking capitals?

Also all 7 other civs immediately denounced me, which I haven’t seen before

Yeah, holding another civ's capital now carries a big diplo penalty, though that can still be mitigated in some ways, such as

1. Be super friends with city states (and Országház makes being super friends even better).
2. Building Pagodas, which now give +1 diplo favor.
3. Completing emergencies and competitions which give diplo favor.

If you go out and attack everything, it is best to just sell all your diplo favors when you have the chance.

there’s also a belief with a building that gives you 1 favor/turn

If you go out and attack everything, it is best to just sell all your diplo favors when you have the chance.

there’s also a belief with a building that gives you 1 favor/turn

Well that holy site building doesn’t really help when you’re -5 or -4 favor per turn. You would have to build multiple to just break even.

Well that holy site building doesn’t really help when you’re -5 or -4 favor per turn. You would have to build multiple to just break even.
Tis true, but I don't think you need to rely on just Pagodas to buffer against the diplo loss, though they help. One can build a Pagoda per city, so one can get more Pagodas than foreign capitals for the most part.

Thematically, warmongering and diplomacy are opposite of each other, and warmongering was previously too effective towards a diplo victory anyway.

Tis true, but I don't think you need to rely on just Pagodas to buffer against the diplo loss, though they help. One can build a Pagoda per city, so one can get more Pagodas than foreign capitals for the most part.

Thematically, warmongering and diplomacy are opposite of each other, and warmongering was previously too effective towards a diplo victory anyway.
Yep. When the best Diplomatic player in the game was Genghis Khan, that was a sign...

Eventhough you might find this problematic, I think it is a great feature and makes perfect sense.

Didn’t Turkey rename Konstantinopel and switched the capital after WW1 to distance themselfs from the Ottomans to get more favors and love in general from the “great leaders of the world”?
My history isn’t all that great, so excuse my ignorance if any.

People figured the best way of winning diplomatic victory was to eliminate the other players, hence the devs had to add that penalty.
Is, not "was". The best way is still through eliminating others. As for diplo favor, there's 50 per turn from future civic.

Top Bottom