Lost Worlds Mod Beta Thread

KingArthur...That's quite a unit line up you have there :wow:

I definitely appreciate the difficulty of obtaining the units wanted and especially for the desired unique units.

I like the way you are going about developing the Game... Very thorough and organized :goodjob:

What position do you have the Moglin in? ... or is that a secret?

They're all carefully chosen. I fitted some techs and in some instance, whole civs around the best quality units available.

I keep it all on spreadsheet otherwise I would get hopelessly lost, plus it's easier to examine and change things in a spreadsheet than a biq.

All units except Vril and Zetans are already in the editor and working in game. Have to hunt down sounds for a few though.

I have the Moglin as a roaming barbarian unit on Mars but I am now going to add him to the Zetans since I love the airdrop animation so much.

Holding nothing back. Here are the Secret Society units. They are a bit different from a nation civ in that their cities are far flung across the globe but they do have the advantage of early contact, spying from the start of the game, and special units auto-produced from small wonders. The tech requirements for the units are offset from the normal civs being either temporarily weaker or stronger. Maybe not for a first play but a challenge for a more experienced player. Now all I need to do is test the game for balance :crazyeye:

Last edited:
I have units for Haitans and once I had earmarked Paraguayans and Cascadians but for the life of me I cannot remember where they are now. I'm sure I'll find them. Cascadians were a mountain man unit (possibly by Sandris) and Paraguayans were conglomerate native and spanish rifleman (possibly by Balam Agab)

I have units for Haitans and once I had earmarked Paraguayans and Cascadians but for the life of me I cannot remember where they are now. I'm sure I'll find them. Cascadians were a mountain man unit (possibly by Sandris) and Paraguayans were conglomerate native and spanish rifleman (possibly by Balam Agab)

I think the unit Mountain Man you're looking for is CivArmy's Voyageur: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civarmys-units-full-collection.113631/page-2#post-2686311

Mod is coming along nicely but I can't help tinkering with city placements and little details. Just to check that I'm still of sound mind what do you think of swapping the Machine Gun with the Bicycle Gun?

Seems appropriate that it comes with the tech: Machine Tooling. It's a machine gun mounted on the handlebars of a bicycle!

Another example of tinkering. The Secret Society can't just be the all-hidden hand, manipulators of historical local powers so I added some flavour from the 19th century literature:

The Begum's Fortune (Verne) - Prof. Schultze Chemical Bombs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Begum's_Fortune

The Island of Doctor Moreau (H.G. Wells) Dr. Moreau's Hyena-Men
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Island_of_Doctor_Moreau

History is still fun of course. Check out the Bushranger. Take your pick from Ned Kelly Ned Kelly - Wikipedia or Captain Thunderbolt - Captain Thunderbolt - Wikipedia

King Arthur... It is normal for the "wheels" to turn slowly especially working with a more extreme game. You are organized and I am sure it will all be Great in the end of development.

Keep your "cool" and your organization with tasks... even if you change some Units, you have the basics accomplished and it will become easier to manage.

The Text files are an extreme time consuming area and I suggest holding off completing that area until you have the Units and everything added as wanted. This is especially true because the game play factors will affect what you will want to say about Units, Wonders and Improvements in Text files. You will be more able to write the Text files after the Game is more completed.

Perhaps you can get several others to join you to help write the Text files but they Need to know what you know about game play and all additions.

Focus on Game play and the additions you want for now :thumbsup:

Some more bug reports: skink worker crashes the game exactly in the same manner as settler.

Both Thrak settler and worker don't have their .ini filles renamed from hobgoblin settler/worker.

Enjoying the mod a lot so far. I found a small balance issue though. The first attack unit after cavalry is land ironclad which is unlocked in the end of era 2. However, Bicycle Gun is available earlier and automaton units can be reached faster, making expansion at the start of 2nd era problematic. I would add an attack unit at about that period with attack strength 3 to compensate it. First Artillery unit looks a bit overpowered too, compared to other units of that era. 12 strength, 2 rate of fire and 2 range on top of that is a bit too much in my opinion.

Found a couple more bugs. Bicycle Soldiers cannot be loaded into air units, while all other units of their upgrade line can be transported. Handling Machine miss sounds in its directory. Chaos Dreadnought has wrong entry for AttackB animation (attakcB instead of attackB).

I am at the start of 4th era as US and all is going pretty smooth. I found Flaks a bit too powerful. They have def of 6 - same as robot infantry, but can be reached faster and require no resources. With AA 8 they rended Air Bombers useless against any tiles with them, Even single flak is too much a threat. I suggest setting their defense value to 4 or 5 and anti-aircraft to 2.

I am also a bit surprised by the choice of starting year. I am used to associate steampunk with late 1800 and early 1900s. Not that I am against current settings, just curious about it.

Finished the game about turn 250. Overall impression is really good. I encountered no more crushing bugs. There a couple of minor ones however.

1. Looks like Stock Exchange does nothing. No flags were cheked for it in the editor. It also requires analytical engine to be built, but Telegraph Station makes more sense.
2. Juggernought does not upgrade to Land Leviathan. It also has blitz but Land Leviathan does not.

Some observations from my game: Lunar, Underworld and Martian civs really mind their business. Space civs never made contact with earth civs. I think, underworld contacted earth very late in the game, maybe at turn 200. They were pretty backward compared to earth civs (less possibilities of tech trade, I suppose?) and, in my opinion, had way too much space to enjoy. There's also very little motivation to go to space or underworld. By the time I solved problems at my continent, I really didn't need more colonies (which would do nothing for me too, because of high corruption). The main exception is etherium, which is required to finish time machine. But I simply bought it from selenites for some tobacoo. I also think that because of Ivory Europe and Asia has a slight advantage at completing time machine compared to Americas. They both have relatively easy access to it from Africa and India, while American factions have to travel oversees. I managed to win by seezing Ivory from Siam.

I feel that naval units are a bit too slow too. Propellered islands with movement 4 felt like an eternity to travel through ocean. Maybe, add a universal small wonder, like Blue Ribbon, which could increase movement at endgame? Or make all vessel travel in coast like through road?

Kontinental Allianz totally dominated Europe, Africa and Asia. They overran Russia and Ottomans early on and than only expanded (I liked the idea that they forcefully join countries to their confederation). They had about 200 Land Leviathans compared to my 20 or so by the end of the game, and my US were the second strongest country.

Some fluff questions. First, why Commonwealth has so little presense on the map? As far as I can see, they have only some colonies at Canada, South Africa and Australia. They are but a shadow of what they should be. Second, why Portugal and not Brazilian Empire? I struggled to find Portugal on map first, knowing that continental part was rolled into France. Just in my opinion, adding a South American imperial state woulld add "steampunkness" to the mod. But up to you to decide, of course.

Concerning balance, including a couple of reminders just to keep everything in one place, I have the following suggestions and questions:

1. Cosider applying interturn wait time reduction techniques to the mod. By the end of my game time between turns became unbearable, easily could take 5-7 minutes.If you remove sea trade through harbors, it will also motivate to expand to the moon and mars to gain etherium.
2. Consider reducing overall corruption level. I had only like 5-6 cities by the end of the game, which stayed productive, desptie me having Fascist government and police station at every city. A second corruption reduction city and/or small wonder wouldn't hurt here.
3. Pollutions really hurt at early stages. Maybe, reduce Clear Pollution worker job time like by half?
4. Why planting forests is restricted? I found it very useful to add some shields to cities which are surrounded by meadows.
5. I have an impression that lunar civs struggle at tundras. Maybe add more food bonus resources to the moon?
6. As I mentioned earlier, adding one more attack unit at machine tooling upgrade line would help quite a bit. I understand that it won't be easy to add flavour unit to lunar/mars/underworld civs, but maybe they don't need it as much as earth civs which struggle for space. What about returning gattling guns as defensive units and making bicycle gun an attack unit, an upgrade from cavalry which futher upgrades to land ironclad?
7. Air bombers are really hindered both by Flaks and Rocketships later. Consider either toning down anti-aircraft meausres or adding another air bomber unit later. I switched to spamming artillery very soon after my opponents got flaks.
8. Both air bomber and siege cannon are a bit too powerful in respect to other units for their time. I remember, steampung earth had two types of artillery units at least.
9. Commandos are really nice addition and great for waging wars at jungles of Amazonia, but they really fall behind after introduction of Laser Infantry. What about adding another paratrooper unit in the late game with stats around A10, D6? Say, at rocketry?

Also a couple of suggestions for graphics:
1. Battle Droid unit is really nice, but a bit too much sci-fi in my opinion. What do you think about replacing it with more "atmospheric" Olai Robot?
2. Same goes for Flak. What about adding anti-aircraft automaton instead?

All in all, the mod is great. I am very greatful that you found dedication to finish it after all those years. Keep up the great works. You need just a bit of polishing at this stage.

Thanks for the super feedback @Fortis1 That’s all the encouragement I needed to get back to working on the mod. Will address some specific points once I have fully digested your posts.

Top Bottom