Love the new ideas but all the time it is up and down and left and right I feel sick

theexile

Chieftain
Hi Folks,

I'm no stranger to forums and what people think about new versions of old games. Normally there are lots of people who complain and often this isn't really warranted especially as the first patch normally fixes any bad problems and appears pretty soon.

Anyway, I've spent more hours than I would like to admit playing Civ2 and Civ3 and now I've had my first taste of civ4......

On the Plus side.

1) I've been impressed by many of the new ideas and concepts. Very interesting. Great fun.

2) Very pleased the tech tree is back!

3) Unlike some people, I like the new interface. It reminds me a little of Call to Power and is clear and easy.

4) Game play is great and it FEELS like civ.

On the minus side.

1) The game is pretty unstable on my 1 year old laptop and I'm just waiting for it to crash. Things flicker occasionally and once I had some very old triangular balck shapes on the map...

2) This is the big one I'm afraid - I HATE THE GRAPHICS - in particular the way the view zooms in and out and left and right. It makes me feel ill :cry: :( Even when you click on the city screen the view zooms.

All the time it is up and down and left and right! Just keep it static and let me move things!!!!!!!!!!!!! If only it were like civ 2 or civ 3 in this respect.

I'll try for longer but is there any way of changing this under the options? Otherwise this will drive me nuts! :crazyeye: :cry:

I agree. I have gotten pretty ill in the head and stomach.. just naseous from playing the game. So much so that "one more turn" just wasn't possible. I had to lie down and I was still out of it for a couple hours. I was really worried that this would be the effect every time but I tried again later that evening and sat through a long session with no problem. I'm playing again now and am startin gto get some ill-effects again thoguh. I feel like maybe it happens a lot in late-game when there is a lot of fast moving around and not a lot of uniformity on the screen.

I sincerely hope when/if a patch comes out they include an way to take "zoom" and "scroll" effects off. My bet is this would help in late game with response time not to mention keep a lot of people from making "Mr. Yuck Face" themselves.. :sad: :lol:

I had no problem with the graphics. Perhaps you should take a 15-minute break every hour or so.

Yeah, the fact that it feels like civ is the big plus.

I'm getting used to it a bit and the next time I loaded, it gave me no problems with stability.

I just wish the city view wouldn't do that stupid 3-D thing when you click on it and that the view was 2-D rather than pseudo 3-D that wobbles about all over the place.

Other than that, I'm really loving it :)

:eek: Motion sickness from Civ4? I've heard of such things happening for people playing fast moving first person shooter games. It's a valid point. I must say I'm luck it's not happened to me. (the worst I've had is a severe lack of sleep ;) )

You can at least disable zooming for combat under options, haven't been able to find anything else.

... or you can try to close your eyes during the interturn...? :crazyeye: :scan: :lol:

seriously: there is two options "auto cycle between units" (turn off and cycle manually between workers/units/etc using the "return" key) and "show friendly moves" (turn it off (as always))
You can even turn off enemy moves, cause there is a log (ctrl-tab) that'll tell you if someone unfriendly showed up next to your border.

One thing I did was turned off 'show friendly and enemy moves', or something similar to that. Way too much bouncing around the map with that option not turned off.

Getting more used to it. I'll try the graphic options. I played with those quite a bit on Civ3.

I think it is the tilting effect that I don't like. Why does it do that?

Anyway, on the plus side, I have played a couple of hours and can confirm that it has the "Just one more turn!" to it. Great.

Strangely enough, of all the graphics, I found Civ 2 the best.......:eek:

Top Bottom