Loving Tectonic (version 3.17 maps)

Probably because the map gave me a 3 corn, one gem, 2 sugar start with copper in the third ring. Using Gilgamesh on Emperor this leads to quick dying German neighbors.

I quit fairly early and it also looked like the main continent wrapped all the way around the map. There was a small strait between ends of the continent, but you could still circumnavigate on foot.
The resources location code is the same as the other ones. You'll get the same with any ohter script.
As for wrapping around, it happens. Sometimes. On 60% water mostly. But one of the points of this map generator is that it's very random.

if the 3.17 version is a bit different is it downloadable seperatly somewhere?
Apart from some renaming (Actual Earth for Terra), I think it's the same.

I've not really been able to play a full game on a tectonic map yet, but I've started a few games and taken a look at the world builder.

So far, I really like the way you can find "concentrated" grasslands in areas that aren't equatorial jungles. There's also the fact that there are some fairly large mountain ranges, rather than the splotchy pattern I'm used to (though I've seen a few small ranges before on Custom_Continents and Hemispheres).

I hate to state the obvious, but the 70% water setting really is a huge amount of water :eek: (I don't think I realized just how small the % could be on other map settings ;))

I find that, with a Huge world, and 70% water, it seems there are a couple of relatively small continents with myself and the AI somewhat packed together. There also usually seems to be a few moderate sized islands scattered around that are uninhabited. Is anyone else finding that they're getting fewer, larger continents (somewhat real world'ish)? It sure seemed like the "randomized real world" setting had a lot more land than the 70% water one.

Also, does anyone else have their Climate/Sea Level options disabled? I'm unable to change mine (though they're on the settings I generally use, anyway).

Ummm...

I guess this is a noob question but.

I installed 3.17 and do not have the option to create Tectonic maps. I'm missing something really simple... Right?

fractal does not choose from anything, it generates a completely random map.

If you mean shuffle, you can look at the maps included by using custom game, but tectonics is not.

Also, does anyone else have their Climate/Sea Level options disabled?
This map generator doesn't use the sea level and climate options, but you can specify the climate in one of the dialogs (you don't have the rocky option but have a no ice option).

I agree that 70% water is lots of water, but that's why there's a 60% option. The figures are really indicative since it's very random.

I installed 3.17 and do not have the option to create Tectonic maps. I'm missing something really simple... Right?
You should get "tectonics" as one of the avialable map types when launching the game.

@ JujuLautre Thank you for the answer, and yes, of course I meant shuffle. There is no way to include tectonics in a random choice somehow? Ah well, I'll guess I'll have to live with that ;).

PS After having played 2 tectonics map, I find that ressources are not as common as on other map types. Can anyone confirm this?

Agree Bast, for the few games a tried in tectonics i really couldn't stand the huge pack of plain with a tiny river in a corner and a 1 tile lake in another. Makes a huge amount of land useless until Bureaucracy and maybe even after.

I really like the natural borders style, but in my opinion the "inside borders" zone really lacks in landscape and features and rely too much on where u start this game.

Grassland ? Good
Plain ? Not Good

I think i'll go on playing Highlands for a natural border game..

You should get "tectonics" as one of the avialable map types when launching the game.

Yeah, I don't have the option. I've reinstalled the patch several times. I don't have any mods installed on this machine. It's a clean install. Weird.

I like the new map a lot, but I've found myself getting my ass handed to me more often than usual lately, I'm going to blame the maps, but it could also be something else in the patch. Love the choke points, realistic islands, continents and, especially, subcontinents.

My one quibble is that sometimes (I have been playing tectonic/70%/normal) I get stacked on a continent with 3 or 4 AI's while another similarly sized continent has an AI all by himself (usually France, Inca or Gandhi, go figure!) going for a culture victory while I'm busy with Shaka and Stalin.

i only play fractal but i will try a tectonic map - i just hate those maps where you all start clustered and have to colonise a new world.

imrwhacko on Gamespot forums had this to say - just a thought

was spawned in the middle of a tundra as dutch, smack next to an aggressive celtic leader that had access to horses, iron, AND copper. Two neighbors over was a guy that had six elephants in his capital and two corn nodes next to each of his 5 other cities. :-(

The randomness of tectonic is cool, but the map generator should probably tally out resources AFTER the landmasses are generated.

was spawned in the middle of a tundra as dutch, smack next to an aggressive celtic leader that had access to horses, iron, AND copper. Two neighbors over was a guy that had six elephants in his capital and two corn nodes next to each of his 5 other cities. :-(

The randomness of tectonic is cool, but the map generator should probably tally out resources AFTER the landmasses are generated.
Shows some people understand nothing about map scripts :).

On continents, you can get exactly the same.

Resources are put after landmasses are generated, AND tectonics uses the same resources generation code as the regular map scripts.
The starting placement code is slightly different in the sense it favors putting more people on a landmass in order to avoid isolated starts, but then the starting site beautifying code is the same as in regular map scripts (except for the fix for flood plains in desert, but I think Bhruic also fixed that in C++).

Apart from some renaming (Actual Earth for Terra), I think it's the same.

I noticed something weird: After patching to 3.17 the option was named 'Randomized Actual Earth". But after a couple of games it changed by itself to "Terra". I didn't change anything :crazyeye: I think it happened after I had played a MP game, not sure though.

I did get to enjoy a round of 'here's a standard-size map with standard Civs, enjoy having all 7 of you packed on one tiny continent' the other day. I looked at the whole map in WB and there were four completely unoccupied (other than the barb cities that had sprung up) continents, each slightly smaller than the one we all had to share. Being the Civ plunked in the middle of the continents' desert, I had no shot whatsoever.

So I like the randomness, but I have found a lot of extremely difficult starts.

Also, the resource generation might be the same, but if the amount of each tile type ends up being different, the total number of resources per map size will obviously be different. I would think 70% water maps are going to be a prime candidate. If you end up with minimal grasslands, you won't see a lot of gems or calendar resources, lots of tundra and you'll see more fur/silver/deer. Horses mostly show up on plains, so it wouldn't suprise me that people see a lot of horses (or none if they tend to regenerate any plains-heavy starts).

Whatever its flaws, the only map script I use these days it Tectonics.

I appreciate the challenges that the maps bring to the AI and human player alike. They are also downright fun to explore. I like finding the mountain ranges and other terrain features. It's nice that the terrain is formed in a "natural" way and not just scattered randomly.

Thanks for a great map script, LDiCesare.

dowski

Top Bottom