Loyalty to specific civs.

Unless im achievement hunting, my prefered Civ are "Random Civilization". I just love the randomness of not knowing what strategy to use before i press start game.

Unless im achievement hunting, my prefered Civ are "Random Civilization". I just love the randomness of not knowing what strategy to use before i press start game.

I like to plan who I'm going to use and what strategy to take, sometimes it's a good few days before I start my next game of civ because I struggle to decide who to go with.

My favorite Civ is definitely Polynesia. I tend to prefer water-heavy maps, but by far my favorite aspect is the Moai. They look pretty and they allow me to spread as far as I want without slowing down my culture.

My second favorite is probably England. Once again, I like the water, and they get something new every era starting Medieval - first Longbowmen (one of my favorite UUs), then SotL, then an extra Spy (allowing you to make your way down the bottom half of the tree and steal your way up the top), then what I think of as their 3rd UU - long-range gatlings.

Of the new Civs, I'm definitely enjoying Poland, and though the Shoshone are fun I'm not sure if they're my favorite. I think of them as the builder's Huns - they get massive early game bonuses that make them runaways in the lategame, but without needing to go to war. I play them when I want to crush the world under my cultural boot.

I haven't tried out Indonesia yet, but I suspect they'll become a favorite too. I like quirky Civs, and once again - water.

My girlfriend's favorite is the Aztecs, and she's truly fearsome with them. I definitely consider them one of the most powerful Civs, at least in her hands. They have everything - powerful units (upgraded promoted jaguars are a force to be reckoned with), plenty of food meaning plenty of science, and lots of culture to boot. I've never quite gotten the hang of them, but they fit her playstyle perfectly.

I always end up falling back to Japan. Because Japan.

But I'll occasionally play as the Zulu, England, the Aztecs, and the Maya. I'm also giving the Shoshone and Indonesia a try.

Going from memory, I've played:

1. Persia
2. China
3. England
4. America
5. Rome
6. Japan
7. The Netherlands
8. Aztecs

I've played England the most primarily because I've struggled with playing an ocean civ. The Civs that I had the most success with are China and America.

Polynesia/Indonesia
Sweden/Netherlands
Maya/Inca/Aztec

Late bloomer civs, great people spawners, or diplo folks are my favorite. Anything underdoggish attracts me. I usually play archipelago, continents, and fractal so these actually have uses.

Even though I love city-states I don't like playing Greece or Siam for some reason...

I did a lot more statistical analysis of my choices and scores in Civ III and IV, but I think I may have played more games of Civ V or at least more hours because Steam tracks it for me.

I have every Civ and Expansion, but I haven't played with them all. I generally try to earn victory a specific way or even try to earn one particular badge, but I don't have the energy for that anymore.

My top 5 civs for most hours logged would probably be:

Babylon
Arabia
China

The next two would probably be the Inca and Polynesia.

There are some Civs that are good but not as fun for me. Mongolia is good, but I too prefer to trade with and manipulate City States rather than destroy them. Austria is also good. I think Austria is almost too good and will have to try them in BNW. The Maya are very good maybe even better than the Inca or Babylon. I like to start with Archery but with the Maya you don't have to!

I've yet to play with a BNW Civ, but the ones that seem interesting are Assyria, Venice, Shoshone, but the ones that may be the best are Poland and Monocco. I'm such a fan of Arabia, Monocco and the desert folklore opening is underated or overlooked.

I've lost some of my Inca mojo now that we're in a Brave New World, I think Tradition should have been my opening not Piety. In most every situation in BNW opening Tradition seems to be the answer, you can add Honour and Piety to taste, but focussing on them seems suboptimal. I used to be such a Liberty fan in Vanilla but now I've come to realize Tradition is best for me. I can just buy settlers and workers, I like having my borders expand faster, it is subtler than rushing over and plopping down a settler. That may be the best thing about the Shoshone not their super scout. I've yet to run into them in a game, but everyone I know rushed out to try them. Me I'm trying to refine my existing strategies.

I have more ideas than time. Portugal also intreagues me and maybe I can finally get the Dutch to work with traditing being so much a bigger part of the game. I used to play as the Dutch a lot in previous versions of the game.

I more or less play all the Civs. Although if I pick question mark I am more likely to re-roll some Civs more than others. Long way of saying I do have my favorites, but I play them all often enough that they don't particularly stick out from the rest.

I suppose the list would be much shorter if I just put down the ones that often make me want to re-roll for a different Civ.

-Greece: Never been particularly fond
-America: Boring although I occasionally like to yell out "F%$# Yeah" while I spread my autocratic FREEDOM across the map
-India: Painful to play they are soo terrible
-Byzantium: For whatever reason I never liked this one

In Vanilla I used to play India a lot, because I like compact and tall empires. I haven't touched them for two years though.

Since BNW came out, France is the civ I have played the most as, trying to grab a culture win at emperor level without having to go to war. To no avail so far. I have played the Shoshone several times as well, these guys are addictive.

I suspect Poland will become my favourite civ for Immortal+ games, once I get tired of the Shoshone. Oh and believe it or not, it has been almost 3 years now since the game came out, and I have never played as Korea. Incredible. I need to change that ASAP.

I truly love all the Civs except Germany and Spain

Don't really have a loyalty civ. I played Polynesia a lot in G&K, but not anymore. I played Indonesia a lot to start off BNW, but also not anymore. Poland is slowly developing into a loyalty civ for me, but we'll see

I would love a true mountain civ. I have a feeling that could become loyalty for me. But we don't really have one. (Carthage is too situational, and Inca is mostly hill-related - I mean a Civ that really, really relies on mountains and gets major bonuses from them. EDIT: A tundra/snow one as well. I would love to have that kind of Civ. Because with a tundra snow one you don't have to worry about neighbors in one direction and you pretty much have an automatic area of land to hold onto for your first few cities at least)

Since I got BNW, I've mainly played Shoshone. Before that I favored America, Babylon, China, and England.

Not sure if there are any I have not played, because I did play each one for achievements before BNW. Of the new civs, I've only played Shoshone for a complete game.

If I'm looking for a quick and very dirty victory, I play as Sweden. Deity AIs have never stood a snowball's chance in hell with me as Sweden (particularly in BNW).

If I'm looking for a 'fun' game, I play pretty much anyone else.

My usual suspects are;
Rome (For the production bonuses).
Ethopia (They work for going both tall and wide, religious, and defensive.).
The Inca (They take such horrid, hilly, mountainy, terrain, and make it a beautiful landscape of growth).
Morocco (They take such horrid, deserty, terrain, and make it a beautiful landscape of growth, production, gold, and defense!).
The Netherlands (Mainly in GnK, I loved trading away most of my lux resources an still getting happiness from them).
Portugal (EVERYTHING just synergies so neatly. The UA gets you boat loads of gold. Your boats give you yacht loads of gold. Your UB makes it so that you NEVER have to worry about happiness again.)

I almost always go with a random Civ. I enjoy trying different things. The exception is if I read something really cool here on the forums that I want to try. For instance, I followed the ICS guide on the forum a while back and had great fun with that.

I generally prefer the civs with UIs. It keeps the game interesting when my terrain looks different from that of my neighbors.

That said, my most played civs are probably: (notice: no vanilla civs)
Korea (Science is good for you)
Netherlands (Easier earlier cash, awesome UU, best floodplains improvement out there)
Inca (good production spawns, great chance at getting mountain-based wonders/buildings, hyper-cheap roads, and a nice UI)
Maya (good early science, nice faith, cheaper archers that save a tech, and a smattering of faster great people)
Ethiopia (Easy religion, great for going tall)
Byzantium (Faith powerhouse; horseman UU is great for early city-state quests)

And, if we're counting BNW civs:
Venice (economic powerhousing is great)
Morocco (gotta love the kasbahs + desert folklore)

Denmark and India can get complete revamps as far as I care.

Respect to Korea and Ethiopia, my favorite civs. I like growing tall, and Korea for science, Ethiopia for religion. I just love Haile Selassie's leader screen, the way he speaks, his ability, UB and UUs(shines brighter when it's the capital city under attack! Epic), his reputation I.R.L. As for Sejong...just check my username.

Huns are my most played. It feels so good rushing your enemy with battering rams.

I usually go random though.

I like how the Dutch have 3 separate but powerful abilities, always something to look forward to.
Arabia's Bazaar is cool, but I didn't like the other things, i'll need to test them again in BNW
-While I love naval Crossbows and Frigates, England doesn't do much for me
-I like the versatility and peace focus of Sweden
-Germany is kind of bland
-Rome's UA is too passive, and a situanional UU, and they are too early and weak
-The Huns are awesome, I love the Rams, the Horses feel added on, and I love the random city names and production per pasture
-I love everything about the Songhai, they get an army that doubles as a navy, easy religion and culture, and their UU just feels right, the gratuitous amounts of gold you get from cities is so cool.
-Portugal feels kind of meh, it's good, just too generalist for my tastes, maybe if I used the Caravels to war...
-On the other hand, Brazil is too niche, and I feel like France does it's job better

Top Bottom