Lux Resources and Continents

I think at this point it is common knowledge that each continent can only have 4 land lux resources while water lux resources are map-bound and not continent-bound. My question is, do 2 continents guarantee to have 8 unique luxes, or there can still be overlapping? One of my friend claims when you play Scotland the happiest spawn is on the continent split, which is very true since you have access to more luxes, but I wonder how happy I should be, like "I have guaranteed 8 luxes near me" happiness or only "I have more than 4 luxes" happiness.

I'm pretty sure there is only ever overlap between a continent having amber and amber also being a worldwide water luxury, but I might be wrong. I'll keep an eye out in the next few games I play!
I know I've seen someone on this forum breaking down the code behind lux spawns, at least just to show how to change a variable to make more that just 2 water luxes appear in larger map sizes, but I don't recall who or where. Anyone else remember?

Water luxes are bound to the size of the map: so Duel and Tiny will have 2, Small and Standard will have 3 and Large and Huge will have 4. Their spawns are completely random and independent of land luxes, so I think when sea amber and land amber are close to one another, it is luck and not really due to other reasons. With that being said, empires with cities on the coast have chances to access more luxes, even though they only have cities on 1 continent.

Speaking of resources I wish there was something for the deep ocean. Just make it more interesting. I would even take something like deep sea fish as long as the tiles aren’t as bland and lifeless. Reefs added a lot to the base game and made campuses not confined primarily to mountains and government plazas.

What is meant by a continent, though? I'm guessing landmass rather than named continent, by my experience. Recently had a game with (among other continents) two continents sharing one landmass, one the western half, the other the eastern half. They both had salt and tobacco. It's possible only one or.both had wine (depending on where the dividing line was between continents in the southern part). I don't remember the western half having any luxes that the eastern one didn't.

It looked like they shared luxes to me, either that or they happened to have the exact same ones.

@Linklite: A continent is the area shaded with a single color when you use the continents lens. One landmass can have more than one continent. Continents do not share luxuries. You must be mistaken, or possibly using some mods that change luxury spawning behavior.

Nope, no mods, I can't use them. Definitely two continents because I checked, prompted by getting the Eurrka straightaway upon starting the game. Definitely both had salt and tobacco. Not sure if it had wine on the western continent or not.

That's just not how it works. Do you have a screenshot showing this?

Normally a continent shall spawn 4 different types of luxuries. However, I speculate that recent patches might broke something.

In my very first game of C&M gamemode, with no mods to change map/luxury generation, I found a single piece of Cotton in a continent that already has 4 other luxuries, and it is the only cotton in the entire world. The Cotton is also far away from the AI who claimed Maui.

Edit: I checked the save again, and actually nobody claimed Maui.

Last edited:
Normally a continent shall spawn 4 different types of luxuries. However, I speculate that recent patches might broke something.

In my very first game of C&M gamemode, with no mods to change map/luxury generation, I found a single piece of Cotton in a continent that already has 4 other luxuries, and it is the only cotton in the entire world. The Cotton is also far away from the AI who claimed Maui.

You sure it's not the Maui? That kind of behaviour is what we often see (or used to see) with Maori units.

Edit: Reminder that Maui can currently only spawn resources that already exist in the world, but that only came into effect with the Barbarian Update.

Last edited:
You sure it's not the Maui? That kind of behaviour is what we often see (or used to see) with Maori units.

I checked the save again, and funny enough, nobody claimed Maui in that entire game.

Spoiler :
289070_20210321170040_1.png

And I also realized that Egypt had another outlier resource:

Spoiler :
289070_20210321170033_1.png

So I think the map generation might have some issue recently.

I generated a huge highlands map, and the only luxury that I could find on more than one continent were bananas. I only spent about 20 minutes mucking around looking though. I think basically your premise is right, and overlapping seems pretty rare.
It seems those deformed micro continents you often get near the poles will suck up a few luxuries, and make them not present in a particular game. The map I generated had no sugar, which may have been allocated to a polar continent. It can't spawn on snow or tundra so consequently no sugar for the game.

the only luxury that I could find on more than one continent were bananas

Banana is a Bonus resource, not Luxury, so it should be fairly common.

It seems those deformed micro continents you often get near the poles will suck up a few luxuries, and make them not present in a particular game.

Yeah, to my knowledge, this can happen from time to time on a non-water map such as Lakes and Highlands.

Banana is a Bonus resource, not Luxury, so it should be fairly common.

Yeah, to my knowledge, this can happen from time to time on a non-water map such as Lakes and Highlands.
Maybe you can wait until late game where you can see a lot on the map, and just search in the search bar any type of Luxes, just to see if there is any that appears on more than 1 continent.

Maybe you can wait until late game where you can see a lot on the map, and just search in the search bar any type of Luxes, just to see if there is any that appears on more than 1 continent.
I did it by saving on turn 1, then using that "reveal all" console command / cheat. That fully explores the map for you so you can look around to your heart's content. I used the search tool as you suggested.

I did it by saving on turn 1, then using that "reveal all" console command / cheat. That fully explores the map for you so you can look around to your heart's content. I used the search tool as you suggested.
And what did you find? Do you see any luxury that appears on multiple continents?

I had an inland sea map with very strange lux distribution. Gypsum and, IIRC, cotton all over the map. When mercantilism came round I was 12/36

I'm certain about the distribution because I was going for a culture victory and it put me in an awkward situation. Very lux poor map. To get the monopoly I would have needed to settle a couple of junk cities and improve all my vassals gypsum - including one on the far side of the map.

Cotton (?) was something like 26 instances around the map.

No mods, but maybe it's an inland sea thing.

Top Bottom