Mac users to Play The World!

gonzo_for_civ

Chicken Walker
Retired Moderator
Q: I know PtW is fundamentally a PC game (with direct X or wahtever), but is there a possibility it might come out for the Mac. Out of 4 People including me of my friends that want PtW, two of us use Macs and are not going to switch.

A: <+Jeff_Morris_FIRAXIS>I gave a source drop to the mac guys last week.

A: <+Jeff_Morris_FIRAXIS>Go Infogrames, they green-lit it.

It's confirmed. Mac PTW is being produced. :king:

Celebrate!

well that is just neato nifty :) I'll be one of the first to get it, mostly for the new civs and med inf and guerilla's. I wana see how I change my early game in light of a sword upgrade. Yay for mac PTW!!!

lateralis

I'll start thinking about getting excited once I have the editor.

I'm happy too, and I don't even use a Mac! I got friends who do and they are civ players, so it's going to make life more fun.

BtW, that was my question :)

:) HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY !!

One word: SWWWEEEEEEEEEETTTT!!!!!!! Time to pop the champagne b/c the fat lady is singin'! This bit of news has mad Civ III for mac cooler like ten-fold!(not that it already wasn't cool). It also said on Civ.com that it was coming for mac soon. I'm going to go check it out now to see if they have a date set.:) :D ;) :cool: :crazyeye: :love: :yeah: :beer: [party] :cooool:

Originally posted by gonzo_for_civ
It's confirmed. Mac PTW is being produced.
Somehow, I expected a bigger reaction on this thread. Maybe a lot of convergent vacations going on here...

Maybe people are still holding their breath. There was that recent downplay from Brad, afterall. I can't begin to imagine why the discrepancy, but if his world is anything like my world, the guy that actually does the job is often the last to know.

THE QUESTION IS: what happens now? If PTW is confirmed, I'd imagine that's a lotta work ahead for our Mac heroes. I'd also imagine, since Brad seems the man most familiar, he will be a part of that team (if not most of that team). So:
• Is Brad a part of that team? I'm hoping so, since he seems to be a guy who is willing to wade among the masses here and at Poly.
• Does the evolution happen in careful, linear fashion? We go to the 1.29 patch, then we get the PTW option?
• Does the 1.21g beta editor get abandoned midstream? I'm hoping not, (I don't know if I can be truthfully emphatic enough about that and still appear sane) but I'd certainly like everything else to move ahead with dispatch.
• Will Brad's current editor work be the foundation for the 1.29/PTW editor, or is he locked in a futile effort? If there is a risk of abandoning the 1.21g editor in favor of the final goal, what are the chances we can tinker with the 1.21g beta editor (so we can at least start to "Civ different"®)?

Anyone? Brad?

Why life is so hard?

My time to play civ3 is getting less and less, and more joy is coming.

Anyway, Celebration!!

Originally posted by dojoboy
This is wonderful news!

I hate to be a wet blanket amid all the celebrating here, but this review is hardly enthusiastic about the PC version of PTW:

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/0,11114,561213,00.html

Oh well, I'm sure it will be a lot better than Heroes of Might and Magic IV which has to be the worst single-player experience I've had in years. On a brighter note, I picked up the Master of Orion III strategy guide recently. The PC version is due out any time now and I expect the Mac version in two months or less. From everything I've seen, it looks like it's going to be a winner.

gfeier, those negative reviews are lame. I just got PtW and it completes the game. The medieval infantry and guerilla make the game much more rounded out, and the new civs are lots of fun.

Originally posted by Hygro
gfeier, those negative reviews are lame. I just got PtW and it completes the game. The medieval infantry and guerilla make the game much more rounded out, and the new civs are lots of fun.

Glad to hear it. :D

Originally posted by gfeier

I hate to be a wet blanket amid all the celebrating here, but this review is hardly enthusiastic about the PC version of PTW: ....

gfeier, I too have PTW for my school club. It is good, now I'm talking SP here. I just don't get to play it much due to the club schedule. However, I'm brining my toshiba home for the Christmas break and will play it daily. Hopefully, any MP bugs, etc. will be well worked out by the time we see our version.

Originally posted by dojoboy

gfeier, I too have PTW for my school club. It is good, now I'm talking SP here. I just don't get to play it much due to the club schedule. However, I'm brining my toshiba home for the Christmas break and will play it daily. Hopefully, any MP bugs, etc. will be well worked out by the time we see our version.

I also expect to play single player almost exclusively, due to my schedule, so I'm glad to hear you like it. I'm wondering, though, if the Mac version will be compatible with the PC version. If it is, will the 1.21g-based editor work with it?

Originally posted by ejday
Anyone? Brad?

I can't say anything further until MacSoft makes an official announcement. Or put differently, by the time MacSoft makes an official announcement, all the contractual and development details will have been worked out. The one thing I can say is that the 1.21 editor will be released soon.

That's great! I think it's a sensible decision too - as I know lots of mac civ fanatics will buy it. Actually, even though I'll probably use the multiplayer function with friends, the thing I am really looking forward to is the new civs, like the Arabs and Carthaginians. Does anyone else think Koreans are a bit of an odd choice, as opposed to, say, Incas or Austro-Hungarians? I guess they're there for geographical balance? (Or maybe I just don't know my Korean history ;) !)

I guess those Koreans are there for the reasons that you mentioned, thomasash -- they were hugely dominant, and innovative, in the first millenium. And: I reckon the Koreans worked well in AoE2 (I notice that Firaxis, Ensemble and Blizzard tend to feed off one another) + there are a huge number of Korean game-players out there, mostly playing Lineage and Starcraft.

PTW4Mac? Kewl. It's no more than we deserve, I commend Infogrames/MacSoft for their commercial decision, but not for their customer service expertise. I will buy it and complete my part of the bargain, but I earnestly ask Macsoft to get a hold of their PR people and start communicating with their customers. Most of my goodwill is reserved for Brad and his contributions to our forums and I suggest that the publishers take note of how a little communication with fans can go a very long way. Yeah, I'm a little excited.

Originally posted by thomasash
Does anyone else think Koreans are a bit of an odd choice...
Nah, I think they'll add a certain spice (kind of like a fermented fish and cabbage combination...).
Originally posted by thomasash
...Incas or Austro-Hungarians? I guess they're there for geographical balance? (Or maybe I just don't know my Korean history ;) !)
I don't know much Korean history either (or at least not as much as I'd like). You would think the Incas would have a spot, all things considered, but with PTW's editor, somebody may yet add them.
Originally posted by Brad Oliver
I can't say anything further until MacSoft makes an official announcement. Or put differently, by the time MacSoft makes an official announcement, all the contractual and development details will have been worked out...
I think we're all hoping you're on the team, Brad. I may be assuming too much, but if not, good luck with negotiations. Lord knows: you have to deal with us...
Originally posted by Brad Oliver
The one thing I can say is that the 1.21 editor will be released soon...
...And you say all the right things, too!

Top Bottom