Mac users to Play The World!

Okay, here's one for you Mac geniuses:
Since PTW is months and months off (at best), and Gramphos has open-sourced his CPT (Civ Placement Tool - a bridge to v1.29), where can we look for a programming wizard to port the code to X?

FYI --- Just off the phone w/ Destineer (MacSoft Corporate office) and there is currently no discussion taking place on porting PTW over to the mac. :sad:

Originally posted by dojoboy
FYI --- Just off the phone w/ Destineer (MacSoft Corporate office) and there is currently no discussion taking place on porting PTW over to the mac. :sad:
"currently no discussion." Hm. Okay, I can accept that currently, there is no discussion. Maybe there will be discussion this afternoon or this evening, instead...

[Don't clarify the semantics, my version is happier.]

Just before reading ejday's post, I was ready to scream NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! :cry: From another person's point of view who hasn't played Civ III, it wouldn't make a difference to them if there's a port or not. But from a Mac user's point of view, well, lets just say that this other person had better stay below our radar for the rest of their naive life. :tank:

Ok, who do we have to kill???

What do we need to do, start a petition, kidnap someone's family, hire a hitman? Come on, this is rediculous, this game has to have a larger following that some of those other crap titles they are porting to mac.

I'm really getting pissed that I can't play online. I'm nearly to the point where I'm going to buy a cheap pc just to play this game. If I only had to space.

How does it run in VPC on a 1GHZ+?
Any one want to start a petition or a hitman fund?

Originally posted by dixonbm
Ok, who do we have to kill???

What do we need to do, start a petition, kidnap someone's family, hire a hitman?

Maybe if you made more violent threats...or perhaps threw in an insult or two to those who might be in a position to make such a decision. Yeah, that'd probably work. :rolleyes:

Brad,
Don't take the death threats to realistically, it's just our continued frustration with the state of Mac software in general (and gaming software specifically). I'd personally love to see us here take up a collection and pay you to port v1.29 and PTW, but I'm sure that Infogrames and MacSoft would have a thing or two to say about that.

As mentioned in previous posts re: the editor, most of us are frustrated at getting software that is one (or more) improvements behind PC software -- and paying the same price. I understand the economics of the situation, but I'd be willing to bet that at least some of us would be willing to spring for a bit more $$ to be kept at patch parity with our friends in the PC world. Most of us are used to spending more for Mac stuff anyways (case in point -- Jaguar).

As far as PTW goes, I almost don't care if I can play against my friends running it on PC's, I'd still like the added civs and features (and the prospect of playing against the other mac users on this forum).

I say we start an online petition to get Infogrames to pony up and port PTW (at least) to Mac. Anyone think this will work?

JP

Originally posted by Brad Oliver

Maybe if you made more violent threats...or perhaps threw in an insult or two to those who might be in a position to make such a decision. Yeah, that'd probably work. :rolleyes:

Sorry, when I made my comment I was more or less joking, well not about the petition part. And I didn't mean for the comment to be directed at you, I was thinking of the executives who make the decisions about which games to port to the mac.

Please take no offense. I was just venting, and again not in your direction but the executives who make the decisions.

Originally posted by jpalacino

I say we start an online petition to get Infogrames to pony up and port PTW (at least) to Mac. Anyone think this will work?

I would recommend holding off on hassling people, at least for the near term. Hopefully you guys will see why shortly.

In the meantime, are any of you guys playing the closest Mac equivalent to PTW: the GOTMs? Each game features a PTW civ to play, and the rules are slightly modded PTW. DiamondzNGunz and others have also been creating files that will allow us to play at close to 1.29 level.

I would recommend holding off on hassling people, at least for the near term. Hopefully you guys will see why shortly.
Hm... this sounds promising.

(Though maybe any form of the word "promise" might be inappropriate for the subject)

OK,
I don't know what Brad knows that we don't (obviously reams of information), but I'm willing to be patient. If it only takes half as long to port PTW to the mac as it did for Adobe to release Photoshop for osX, I'll be happy.

As far as the work of DnG and Senecasax (as well as Brad's unpaid OT) on the editor, I have to wonder why that isn't more embarassing for Infogrames and MacSoft. Yet again, we are left with incomplete software, and the modders are left to try and catch the rest of us up to the PC world.

I have learned to not expect software updates on the same timeframe as PC users, but is it unreasonable to expect an eventual achievement of parity?

Patches and upgrades are a zero-sum game for vendors (they rarely generate much additional income -- except for the sale of "Game of The Year" -- completed software packages). The only major value-add for them is respect, from the gaming community for fixing perceived shortcomings and testing new applications within the larger game.

As far as the GOTM's go, that's great, but it's only one game a month (admittedly, I'll rarely get more than one or two games a month done). Additionally, the processs for prepping a game for Mac seems to be non-trivial for Cracker and his crew. I am also at the stage where Monarch/Deity games are well beyond my capabilities. The last GOTM, I got left bloodied and redundant pretty quickly.

If the situation on patching was reversed, I'm sure that the PC crowd would be much less patient than we have been.

JP

i have seen PTW on a PC and it pretty cool, adds quite a bit of spice to the game, i was just sorry to see that they did not spice up the lame diplomacy while they were at it. Nuclear missles actually blast off--cool. However, i can say that i will not purchase this game if it does not have the editor (not the current one, although it has spiced up the game a bit, and i am thankful for it, i am tired of having Romans appear in America next to the Chinese). So, i would like to know if the full package will be produced this time around, PTW and the 1.29 (?) editor?

OK, I am torn between lament not knowing how long "shortly" is and just plain old giddy!

Thanks for the taunt Brad! You keep me going! (As if the emotional thrill of conquering your enemies wasn't enough!)

:king: :worshp:

Hmmm....holding.....see why shortly.....perhaps we are getting the PTW and Conquest in one pack!

Or is this wishful thinking? :(

Originally posted by Melinder
Is it shortly yet?

No, unfortunately not yet. I've got a few tricks up my sleeve, so I'm optimistic those might bear some fruit. However, I'm reluctant to say more because I don't want to screw things up, plus a lot of it depends on my spare time.

In other words - assume that nothing is happening. The last thing I want to see happen is for someone to get the wrong impression in their head and then start flaming away at Firaxis, MacSoft or myself when nothing materializes. That way if something does happen, we can start celebrating after everything has been safely locked down. :)

In marketing terms there's an interestng concurrency of events occurring, well ... shortly.

MacSoft control two of them: more 'newness' for Civ3 in PTW and Conquest; and the decision on whether to port Brian Reynolds rival, 'Rise of Nations' (it's not turn-based, but it is definitely a contender for our dollars). MacPlay are releasing EU2 and that will also be attractive to us.

Personally, I want the lot, but I'll invest most in the one that will provide gameplay, novelty and expansions over the longest time. Civ3 certainly has the track record. However, Brian and the 'BigHuge' crew have a wonderful product.

Thanks for the reply Brad. I won't assume anything. As long as my little flame of hope can continue to burn ! If anything falls out of your sleeve, I'm sure you'll let us know.

Not exactly what we want to hear, Brad, but I certainly don't have room to complain when you've already gotten at least one version of the editor AND the 1.29 patch out almost single-handedly. Thank you! :)

Top Bottom