1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mac?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Mano3, Sep 18, 2008.

1. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I personally cannot stand not having a right mouse button. I'm not a fan of the Mac layout. I rarely deal with pictures or music. I need to use engineering programs sometimes. I like my games modable. Macs are not an option for me.

We are about to get rid of our mac. My sister won it in a contest last year, but it was already kind of old and it has been getting slower and slower and is now all but unusable. She is getting rid of it and her also barely functional 8 year old laptop (which also lacks a power cord as mine broke and I took hers) in exchange for a new laptop, which I may help her pick out this afternoon.

2. Elyssaen

Elyssaen Chieftain

Yes, everyone who isn't a teenage boy.

Gaming is one of the least important uses of my computer. Even so, I do occasionally play UT2004, Heroes of Might and Magic, Halo, Starcraft, Warcraft, C&C Generals, Civilisation, Escape Velocity, Geneforge, Half-Life and am considering buying Fable.

By far and away, though, I use my computer for web browsing (Firefox), IM chat (Adium), producing scientific documents (LaTeX), producing scientific diagrams (Intaglio) and graphing (Grapher).

What I was saying was basically that, but that there is a layer of emulation required even in Boot Camp to emulate BIOS. Like I said, this might be an out-of-date problem and there might have been a fix to it in the last few years, but it certainly used to be true.

Statistically speaking, Mac users who treat their computers as virus immune are still far less likely to have their computers infected than the average Windows user.

"Quite a few"? The number's about 26. It goes up to a couple of hundred if you add in exploits when you use Microsoft software on a Mac (namely Word). ~71,000 are about if you're on a PC.

Still, while it's absolutely true that you're very safe on a Mac even without any antivirus software, it's not actually by merit of Apple's security. It's just a fact of the market. Mac OS computers are actually marginally less secure than Windows computers – just a little bit. Really, 'merit' isn't involved either way though. Apple hasn't had to bother much about security because the fact is, you can use a Mac on the Internet for years with no antivirus software and never have a single problem.

One thing I will say: even if you're buying a new Mac with a Mighty Mouse, screw it and get a… Microsoft mouse. I don't like much that Microsoft makes, but mice are a different matter.

3. blade117

blade117 The Unburnt

71,000, and I have had all of 0. Granted, I have good security software.

4. grayrest

grayrest Chieftain

I must not have been clear. When running under boot camp, there is NO emulation going on. The method for getting a mac motherboard up and running (EFI) is simply different from what windows expects (BIOS). Boot camp takes care of getting the system into a state where Windows can run. Boot camp has always worked this way. The biggest change over the years has been the quality of the windows drivers for the mac hardware, which (as always) makes a major difference in games.

5. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Doesn't Ubuntu have practically nil viruses?

6. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

There are some good mods without a custom dll ;).

7. CurseUppl

CurseUppl The bureaucracy expands.

If an OS has virtually no viruses, then not enough people use it.

Simple as that.

8. OgreProdigy

OgreProdigy Chieftain

Changing the subject to what the original poster was talking about, Fall from Heaven II does not work on a mac, as (Being a mac-user myself) I have sadly discovered. There is a version of Fall from Heaven I that will function, though I'm not sure where I found it, which has some of FFHII's shiny stuff but not all.

In addition, Aspyr (The company that ports Civ to the Mac) has been working on a way to load custom DLLs into mac games, but when last I heard they were nowhere near ready to release. Hope is not lost, but playing Age of Ice might be our only recourse until such time as they bring it out.

9. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

Mac n' Cheese! :D

10. darth degox

darth degox Chieftain

I have A 2008 13inch macbook and i bought an external hard drive for it. also i have installed several security precautions because of the cyberworm virus. it runs like speed of light. all aspyer has to do is find a way to convert windows mods to mac. and it is much easier to installl a mod on a mac because of its user friendly capeabilitys

11. civ_king

Bootcamp!!!!

12. Spectral-Fremen

Spectral-Fremen Chieftain

Macs have there perks but when it comes down to it, for the hardware a given mac computer has its a LOT more expensive then a PC. Not to mention if you want to use Bootcamp you have to Buy windows on top of your already overpriced mac.
    Personally I would never buy or ecommend a mac. It would be like telling someone to buy a HD DVD player.

13. Luckmann

Luckmann Esusian Epicure

This.

14. civ_king

Option A: if you are getting a Mac you probably had Windows previously, you can use those discs
    Option B: Be a Lanun :mischief: