Mafia Hosting Queue 3

Visorslash

Deity
Thanks to NinjaCow64 (#2) and Zack (#1) for the earlier iterations of the queue.

This is a place where the queue for the Mafia games is kept, you can find the queue for NOTW here. You can discuss what you want freely, but please don't get too off topic. The Mafia Discussion and Information thread would be more appropriate for anything not regarding the hosting queue and games.

The list of games that are in play and accepting sign-ups is kept here.

The queue is located in Post #2.

Please read posts 1, 3 and 4 of this thread before requesting to host a game.

Too many games at once results in several negatives, such as:

• games not getting the required amount of sign ups
  • overwhelmed players
  • problems with activity
  • mafia burnout
  • etc.
Keep in mind when hosting a game that there many of the players on this site play Night of the Werewolf and games on other sites - so be patient with the timing of your game to ensure that there are players willing to play who have enough time to do so. With that in mind, the limits on games are as follows:

Mini Games
3 - 10 players
Unlimited

Small Games
11 - 20 players
1 at a time

Large Games
21 or more players
1 at a time.

(There may be special instances where more than one small game, or more than one large game, are allowed to run at the same time. The vast majority of the time however, only one of each.)

Sign-ups for your game should be opened once the current game is starting to wind down, or halfway through at the very least.

The Queues​

Large Game Queue

• The queue is organized in a "first come, first serve" manner for hosting spots.
  • A person can have a maximum of two games on the queue, with at least five people between each game.
  • The queue goes down in a strict list.
  • The person on top of the queue has the first right to open sign-ups, then the second, third, etc. (If it is the time for a large game to open sign-ups, the first game on the queue will have the first choice. They can choose to either open sign-ups, pass to the second person, or go to the bottom of the queue. If the first passes, those three choices go to the second person, and so on.)
  • If a game fails to start within two weeks after the previous game ends, it will be moved to the bottom of the queue.
  • If you would like, you are allowed to reserve a spot in any number of upcoming games (listed below), and you will have a guaranteed spot in the game when it opens sign-ups (you are not, however, obligated to sign-up for that game). *Note that this is up to the host's discretion. Contact the host of the game you wish to reserve for. They have the right to refuse your reservation, or to make a reservation work differently than the way it is listed here.
  • Once the current game gets down to 1/3 of the original players still living, the next game on the queue can (and is expected to) start sign-ups.

Jarrema - Ghost Town - IN SIGNUPS

Sprig - Stargate Universe

KingMorgan - The Final Frontier

Topsecret - The Hobbit

Mat93 - Large Game

Zack - None Shall Pass 2

Visorslash - Age of Kings (Keep at bottom)

Small Game Queue

• The queue is organized in a "first come, first serve" manner for hosting spots.
  • A person can have a maximum of two games on the queue, with at least five people between each game.
  • The person on top of the queue has the first right to open sign-ups, then the second, third, etc. (If it is the time for a large game to open sign-ups, the first game on the queue will have the first choice. They can choose to either open sign-ups, pass to the second person, or go to the bottom of the queue. If the first passes, those three choices go to the second person, and so on.)
  • If a game fails to start within two weeks after the previous game ends, it will be moved to the bottom of the queue.
  • Once the current game gets down to 1/3 of the original players still living, the next game on the queue can (and is expected to) start sign-ups.

Zack - The Cult of Zack - IN SIGNUPS

Robbiecon - Lost Mafia

Sprig - Culture

Kennigit - Untitled

Mat93 - Small Game

Clue Game Queue

Empty.

Active NOTW:

This is ensure there is not too many games active at once.

None.

Format for Applications to the Queue​

Please note the restrictions for number of games allowed on the queues and other rules, noted above.

If you wish to put a game on the queue, please post in the following format:

[CENTER][B][U][SIZE="3"][Game Name][/SIZE][/U][/B][/CENTER]

[B]Host:[/B] [Your Name (and co-host's name if there is one)]
[B]Type of Game:[/B] [Large, Small, or Clue]
[B]Number of Players:[/B] [Small: 20 or less; Large: 21 or more; Clue: unnecessary to specify here]
[B]First time host:[/B] [Yes or No]
[B]Progress:[/B] [preferably some sort of percentage]

[Setting and any other information]

It is fine when you first announce your game that you leave some places blank, but please go back and edit your post as you progress and fill in the blanks.

Please either post updates in this thread or PM/VM me; be sure to edit your post, no matter which way you notify me.

GMing Tips and Advice​

Balance

Askthepizzaguy has written a couple essays on balance in the Mafia Information thread. They start here (posts 401 and 405).

You can always PM your game's setup to an experienced host to check if it is balanced or not.

Feel free to send your setup to any of the following people to get it checked for balance:
  • Zack
  • autolycus
  • askthepizzaguy
  • Post in the Discussion thread for others who may potentially help.

Role Randomization

People use their own methods, but I have one that is both easy to learn and easy to perform - quick, too. To start us off on that journey, I have gone to the liberty of creating a Google Doc. Copy it into your own spreadsheet to practice with. Follow these instructions, and you'll be good to go:
  • Fill in Column A with names of the CFC players (In this example: A, B, C, D, E, F)
  • Fill in Column B with the character roles (In this example: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
  • Fill in Column C with (this exactly, without the quotes) "=RAND()"
  • Copy and paste "=RAND()" into however many rows you need (In this example: Rows 2-7)
  • Highlight Columns B and C
  • Click Tools -> Sort... (This is on the toolbar across the top)
  • Check the box that says "Data has header row"
  • Sort by Column C; A-> Z
  • Click Sort
Behold the randomization!

I personally take my playerlist and randomise it 10 times, then take my role list and randomise it 10 times on random.org and then put them together.

BB code

Just use it. Please. It makes a huge difference. Embrace the BBcode! A very detailed table of CFC BB code is located here.

How Many Nightkills Should I Have?

Example by Zack

Consider how more kills will have an impact on the game and whether it is balanced to include more/less killing roles. 5 killers out of 20 players is unbalanced unless something is done to compensate heavily (doctors, roleblockers, etc).

Creating a Ruleset

There are many common rulesets used by gamehosts, often with slight variations. Check other people's games for a good example of a ruleset. It is important to ensure that your ruleset fits the balance of the game (No PMs, no after death talk, etc) so you should always update your ruleset for each game you host and make changes accordingly when balancing the game. Check a Zack or Dreadnought game for a good example of a well written ruleset.

On that note, you should always make your rules easy to read and understand so that there is little to no misunderstanding.

Abilities and Roles

Abilities and roles often differ game to game depending on the balance of the setup and the theme of the game. For example a game about Star Wars might have lightsaber and force related abilities and a game about Lego might have brick related abilities. The important thing to remember about making a role is that it generally shouldn't be a vital. If whatever faction loses that role early, they must still be able to win. Balance is the most important factor generally when it comes to hosting a good game setup wise, and if that means a few more vanilla townies, then that may be what is necessary.

Advertising

Advertising is often done on other sites such as The Org, TWC and any sites that you know of personally that play mafia. It is also common to put a link in your signature and if another game that was running finishes, often people will post a link to the next game.

Reserved post for anything else I think I might add.

Going to go through and edit/format things soon. Asked a mod to sticky.

SUPER SECRET

Host: choxorn
Type of Game: Large
Number of Players: At least ~30
First time host: No
Progress: 10%

This game is SUPER SECRET right now. But it will be awesome, and I'll make it less secret as I get do more work on the game.

Zack Mafia V [REDUX]

Host: Zack
Type of Game: Small
Number of Players: 20, I guess?
First time host: false
Progress: <insert arbitrary nonzero percentage>

Exactly what it sounds like, but obviously with some tweaks.

Stairway to Heaven III / Zack Mafia VI: The Reaping

Host: Zack
Type of Game: Large
Number of Players: ~30 would be nice
Progress: <insert arbitrary nonzero percentage>

The large game I've been promising for so long. This can replace Reconquista on the queue. Go ahead and remove Fallen Eagle.

please move me down in large mafia games past the Zack. I have nothing ready yet, andf do not want to host 2 games at the same time; esp. because I have huge plans for my large game

I would assume that Zack probably isn't planning to host Zack Mafia VI before Zack Mafia V, so that should also probably be moved down a bit. And I think spaceman asked to be removed from the Queue a couple of months ago.

Is ATPG or Takhisis ready to host yet?

Anyone?

The queue should possibly take a different approach. Maybe an Org style, or maybe when someone hosts a game, they mention what months or so they are available to host.

The problem with the first come first serve is that things like this happen. If we have a calendar system for large games possily small as well it becomes easier to work with.

I would assume that Zack probably isn't planning to host Zack Mafia VI before Zack Mafia V, so that should also probably be moved down a bit. And I think spaceman asked to be removed from the Queue a couple of months ago.

Is ATPG or Takhisis ready to host yet?

Anyone?

I can host AoK if necessary.

I agree with signing for months.

ANd I think you can host soon (maybe a little after new NOTW runs? more players should be available)

^

Sometimes games run on for much more than a month, and then everyone gets pushed back and nobody's happy.

uPick Civilization Mafia

Host: Alsark + TheSlenderMan
Type of Game: Small
Number of Players: 16 min, 20 max
Progress: 0% because we design roles as players pick them (though we're full of ideas already)

So the idea behind this for those who have not done a uPick (also called a BYOR where I come from) is that you kind of build your own role. What we're thinking is that players will pick their leader and pick their civilization separate from their leader (so kind of like Civ4's option to allow different leader/civilization combinations). Based on your leader choice civilization choice we'll design your role accordingly. Every player will have a power.

Queue updated obviously. I've changed some of the formatting to simple black and white so its easier on my eyes when reading, and added a bit of extra information. I will get to the under construction bits shortly.

Anything you think you should be added?

Top Bottom