1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mafia & NotW Hosting Queue - 2020

Discussion in 'Mafia/NOTW' started by topsecret, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

That said, we can put Star Trek Mafia: The Next Gyration on the schedule for spring 2021 unless there is a general player revolt before Star Trek Mafia: The Original Spewing of the crew into space winds up.

2. Empoof

Empoof Warlord

If there's desire for play and no hosts for it, I'd be willing to host a game here sometime in March

3. Takhisis

Takhisis spells laser with an s

OK, so Tim fears that his players might be revolting and Empoof seems to be willing to take the March spot so I don't have to… good times, good times.

4. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Revolt or no I got nothin' to do with any "March spot," unless you are talkin' March 2021.

5. topsecret

topsecret Believer

OK, @Arakhor has the next spot and I will put you down after him if that works. If you guys want to switch let me know.

6. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

So I had this long introductory post written for something I'm calling "structural mafia." This is the last paragraph of that post:

I think it is obvious but I'll say it anyway...this is a LONG, but LOW IMPACT game. The pace is going to be very slow and it will mostly be spent just waiting for the next window while going about regular life, other games, forum chatting...whatever it is that you do. Is anyone interested in participating in such an experiment?

I opted not to post it where I had planned, and to just put that here, because even though it is clear to me that it is not suitable for the queue because it is intended to run on a different timescale along side of probably several of the games from the queue...which I intend to be playing in and will urge participants in the experimental game to participate in as well...it needs to be made absolutely clear that this experiment is in no way intended to conflict with the regular games or make it harder to find players for those games. The objective is to develop a different structure that will make playing mafia available to people who just can't, for whatever reason, make the time to play in a 48/24 structure.

If the older, wiser, more experienced, and generally cooler heads think I should just drop this I probably will. OTOH, if it seems like a worthy project I will need some help to see it through.

7. Takhisis

‘Long, but low impact’? Are you going to introduce a posting cap or something? Because the one time when a game accidentally ended up having a 72-hour D1 it was a mess.

8. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Or something. When you reached "introduce a posting cap" you were nowhere near far enough outside the box.

9. Takhisis

Please, I've played games that took years to resolve and had monthlong phases. They just weren't mafia games proper. If you need me to start dropping links for games which you can rip off homage, just ask.

10. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I don't, but thanks. If you thought any of those would provide something in the CFC environment I'm sure you'd be doing them.

11. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

To be fair, Mafia was seemingly dead and buried here before Takhisis stumbled onto convincing us OT folks to hop on in.

12. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Agreed. And that's why I'm looking for a way to make it more accessible so more people can jump in. The existing structure is great...for me...but maybe not for everybody. I want games with the existing structure to continue, for sure...but I'm willing to run some experiments and see if we can come up with some alternative form or forms as well, so long as that doesn't interfere.

13. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

Speaking for myself, I'd find it immensely difficult to invest in a game that was less immediate and more long term.

14. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Fair enough. Noting that you and I seem to both have taken quite strongly to the current format.

15. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

I'd have to start writing things down in any game longer than 48/24.

16. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

You are looking at this as "just like a 48/24, but longer." I'm actually talking about a completely different structure, not measured directly in time intervals that way.

17. Takhisis

Oh no, if you're saying that you don't know what I'm talking about. I'd better get the links in then.
    St. Valentine's was 2 weeks ago but I'll take it.

18. Yakostovian

Yakostovian Prince

120/48 is about as long as I have patience for. It's normal for over on the Giraffe, which will be seeking players soon for their annual "Big Game."

19. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

So I PMed everyone who has responded so far. I don't want to disrupt the queue thread any further...didn't intend to disrupt it in the first place though I should have predicted...anyway, maybe if @Arakhor could wave his magic wand and undo that?

20. topsecret

topsecret Believer

It's alright, this thread is for discussing hosting anyway, so similar concepts would fall under its general intent. :)