[MOD] MagisterModmod

If I recall correctly, the main reason for not including Rise of Laroth was that it was rather processor intensive. The game typically froze up or had a waiting for other civilizations issue before I could really tell whether or not it was working.

For such a rare scenario, it was rather inefficient to include the code that made all unclaimed living units return under Laroth's control. I just noticed that the way I have since changed how angel gifting works (making units on the same team as Basium eligible to return as Angels so long as they don't return as manes) would also make that code really hard to implement. (If I do bring back Laroth, I might instead just make units killed by him, by his Demons of Death, or my the Netherblade return as undead.)

I just used a giant Lich as the graphics for Laroth, but never really thought that was good enough. I believe it is beyond my skills to make him look the way I think he should. I know nothing of making new models, and only a little bit about re-skinning them. The text at the end of Mulcarn Reborn describes Laroth as "a man with a crown of mirrors and deep black pits instead of eyes." Of course, his appearance would likely change when he ascended, perhaps as much as Auric did. (Considering that he used Auric's power to become a god, perhaps he would take an appearance more like Auric Ascended. I suppose it would be within my power to make a monochrome grey version of Auric Ascended with pure black eyes.)

At one point I was planning to add a scenario fought in the Netherworld or after Laroth's ascension, but we don't really have enough canonical lore to guide me in those.

I have also considered an alternate, much simpler version of the Rise of Laroth ritual. It would quite simply kill everyone, making every player lose and ending the game as the world of the living is fully consumed by the world of the dead.

It is not really clear whether Auric had fully ascended or not when the netherblade slayed him, but if not the he was very close. I guess I could make it require The Draw, but it seems better to me for him to only be able to become a god if the powers of an actual god are bound to his control by the Netherblade. Having a later XML prereq is more efficient as then the python prereqs don't have to run as often.

The ETA for the next release of MagisterModmod is the day after the next release of Tholal's More Naval AI. You'll have to ask him when that will be. I just know that I was not planning to release any more updates until I can take advantage of some of his new features.

As I've said before, the logs (for WoC issues, BBAI.log in particular) tend to be more useful than the saved games, but by now have almost certainly been overwritten.

I probably did not see this message previously in the thread. This thread is rather extensive after all. My apologies if I revived an already discussed topic.

I started a new game and enabled logging via the ladybug. However, I am not seeing this BBAI.log so I am not sure if this is working. Is this file stored someplace by default? I did specify my saved games folder when setting up the logging, but again, I dont see this BBAI.log.

Will the next release have a fix for the unitCannotMoveInto(self,argsList) slowdown? I've had to abandon for the time being due to the intolerable turn load times.

I probably did not see this message previously in the thread. This thread is rather extensive after all. My apologies if I revived an already discussed topic.

I started a new game and enabled logging via the ladybug. However, I am not seeing this BBAI.log so I am not sure if this is working. Is this file stored someplace by default? I did specify my saved games folder when setting up the logging, but again, I dont see this BBAI.log.

I think what you did was turn on the BUG modcomp logging system. I don't really know much about that.

I was talking about the main CIV IV logging, which I mentioned in this part of the first post
Before loading any saved games for me to debug though, I would strongly suggest that you check the .log files. To enable logging, edit CivilizationIV.ini (which may be found under C:\Users\[insert user name here]\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword) so that LoggingEnabled = 1. After starting a game you should find various log files under C:\Users\[insert your user name here]\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Logs. Usually PythonErr.log is most useful in helping isolate a problem, although PythonDebug.log, xml.log, BBAI.log, and MPLog.txt can be quite helpful too. (BBAI.log and MPLog.txt are usually the best way to help track down the cause of "Waiting for Other Civilizations" issues. ) Posting these files would do more to help me isolate your problem than the saved game would.

Will the next release have a fix for the unitCannotMoveInto(self,argsList) slowdown? I've had to abandon for the time being due to the intolerable turn load times.

I don't really want to loose the new functionality that using def unitCannotMoveInto(self,argsList) allows, so I plan to keep it.

I have however rewritten the code to run more efficiently, and have not noticed it slowing the game down nearly as much lately.

I have a problem with a szenario for this mod.
I con only give 6 civillizations new names.
If i change more that 6 civilization names in multiplayer mode the civilizations are no longer displayed (while choosing their civilizations) for players who join . So when I change "CivDesc=TXT_KEY_CIV_GRIGORI_DESC" to "CivDesc=House of Baratheon" the szenario doesn´t work in multiplayer mode.

Maybe there is a bug in the mod and you can fix it or you help me plz where i made my mistake.
Thanks a lot!!!!!!

Magister,

My new game just encountered the "AI loop."
I hope I did these correctly so you can use them.

Attachments

• BBAI.zip
    246.9 KB · Views: 52
  • PythonDbg.zip
    86.1 KB · Views: 62
  • PythonErr.zip
    160 bytes · Views: 47
  • PythonErr2.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 72
  • xml.zip
    69.5 KB · Views: 49
@schargiel:
I've never actually played any multiplayer games (except Hotseat against myself), so I am certainly no expert on them. I cannot think of anything I could have done that could have changed your ability to rename players.

Does the same thing happen in More Naval AI? Maybe it is Tholal's fault?

@Jennvare:

It would have been more convenient if you had uploaded the files in a single zip archive rather than compressing them all separately.

It might be useful to have the saved game in addition to the logs. They are more useful together than alone. (Of course, I still don't particularly feel like rolling back by version to test a saved game.)

BBAI.log shows AI decisions. Noticing where it stops narrows down where the problem occurred.

In this case, it seems to be during player 11 (Kuriotates) turn. (I suppose though that there is a small chance though that player 11 chose not to do much that turn, and that the problem happened just before player 12 could finalize his first decision.) The last thing that happened seems to be the Kuriotate AI determining that a Centaur should guard a superfort. I guess it could be a superfort related issue, but it is probably a problem with whatever unit the Kuriotate AI selected next.

You could try to see what happens if you use worldbuilder to eliminate the Kuriotates.

PythonDbg.log does not seem to have anything wrong in it, although I'm not quite sure what all of its contents mean. (Most of the things I look for there show up in PythonErr.log too anyway.)

PythonErr.log is completely empty, so there was no need to include it. There are no python errors at fault here.

PythonErr2.log has never been useful in any way in my experience. It pretty much always looks like yours does. There is no good reason to include it

xml.log is always full of lines like "[29597.180] info type not found, Current XML file is: xml\GameInfo/CIV4VoteInfo.xml" and "[29597.195] info type NONE not found, Current XML file is: xml\Interface/CIV4InterfaceModeInfos.xml," which can be ignored.

I was a bit surprised this time to notice also contains "[38471.531] info type UNIT_ARTSTYLE_BARBARIAN not found, Current XML file is: xml\GameInfo/CIV4EspionageMissionInfo.xml." This means that some piece of python (or possibly the DLL) refers to a non-existent xml tag called UNIT_ARTSTYLE_BARBARIAN. That is potentially serious.

I just traced this bask to the code that sets the art styles for Dragon Fanatics based on the dragon that they follow, particularly for barbarian dragon fanatics and those following Acheron. For some reason I assumed that the barbarians use UNIT_ARTSTYLE_BARBARIAN, but they actually do not have a <UnitArtStyleType/>. I futhermore assumed that setting this unit art style would make the unit refer to the default art, but I'm thinking it would not.

The quickest way to fox this would be to add this to C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Magister Modmod for FfH2\Assets\XML\Civilizations\CIV4UnitArtStyleTypeInfos.xml:
Code:
		<UnitArtStyleTypeInfo>
			<Type>UNIT_ARTSTYLE_BARBARIAN</Type>
			<StyleUnits>
				<StyleUnit>
					<UnitType>UNIT_DRAGON_FANATIC</UnitType>
					<UnitMeshGroup>
						<EarlyArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_DRAGON_FANATIC</EarlyArtDefineTag>
						<LateArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_DRAGON_FANATIC</LateArtDefineTag>
						<MiddleArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_DRAGON_FANATIC</MiddleArtDefineTag>
					</UnitMeshGroup>
				</StyleUnit>
			</StyleUnits>
		</UnitArtStyleTypeInfo>

I doubt that this is related to your Waiting for other Civilizations issue, but I suppose it is possible.

MPLog.txt might have been useful, if you had included it. (There is no guarantee that it would have helped though.) In addition to showing random number generation, it also shows whenever a unit is created, killed, or moved. What makes it particularly useful is that it shows the index of the plot where that happens. That (plus a saved game) might tell me just what unit could be deleted in order to bypass the AI loop. (If there are multiple of the same kind of unit on the same tile it might not narrow it down much though.)

Come to think of it, this file might not be created unless you set RandLog = 1 (in addition to LoggingEnabled = 1) in CivilizationIV.ini. It would be too late to do that for your current game, but it might be good to make the change in time for future bug reports.

I'll work with what ya gave me and see if any of the above works to release this game.

The MP Logs were not available, but I will set the RandLog and keep it going.

As for all the other files, I just figured it would be best to send everything you asked for. I'll get better. Have patience with me.

As for rollbacks, the version I have is currently what is downloadable. If you are working on a new version, I can see where you might have an issue.

I'll try what you mentioned later today and let you know the results.

Keep up the good work though. I am enjoying this mod even if I havent been able to finish a game yet.

@MagisterCultuum
Thanks for your quick answer. Probably its a problem of More Naval AI. I never tried.
Now it makes sense to me. The way you changed the mod is not very balanced for multigamers. You get a ocultist far too quickly for example. in pvp this is quite a problem. And alos the pyrozombies are far too strong. I only play multi player mode and never single. Its much more fun as ki is always easy to predict. humans are not (-:
but there are a lot of nice changes and me and my friend decided to swich from ffh2 to your mod. (-:

here is the szenario we play. its also quite challenging playing solo! (-;
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=12430633#post12430633

For anybody who's interested, I've combined Freya's Citystyle Modmod with MC's work. Install the Citystyle mod into your Magister Modmod folder, then put the file I've attached into Assets/XML/Art and use it to replace the existing CIV4ArtDefines_Building file.

Enjoy, and be sure to let Magister know if you'd like to see this in the next official patch! :mischief:

Edit: I've made a few other changes to the version of MC's modmod I've got on my computer. I thought I may as well throw them out there for others to comment on and as potential suggestions for Magister himself.

- Upgradable Lucian: Everybody's favorite Doviello axeman can upgrade to a new unit (for free) twice. Lucian v.2 comes with Iron Working and Lucian v.3 comes with Mithril Working, ensuring that the de-facto Doviello hero doesn't become obsolete mid-game.

- Hell Terrain Water Resources: When Hell spreads to a water resource it transforms it into an Aquatic Pyre (taken from RifE's D'tesh civ, though IIRC the graphic was originally imported to Civ IV from another game altogether). Works like Snake Pillars do, albeit with a higher :hammers: / :commerce: yield.

- Unit artwork from Esvath's Xtended art pack. Includes unique replacements for units such as Berserkers and Paramanders. I talked with Esvath and he was quite genial and okay with my using his creations.

- Illian High Priests summon Glacial Guardians instead of Tar Demons.

Attachments

• CIV4ArtDefines_Building.7z
    11.4 KB · Views: 62
Installing it now. Glad to see someone thinks this game is still worth playing. Because I personally never could stop playing FFH2 over Civ5. Always end up back here. And these features really add to the gameplay. I would love to see more more more. Well balanced of course.

is there anyway to make this compatible with Fall Further ModMod? Does anyone know if someone is going to take over that ModMod? Everyone moved to civ 5 which is just horrible for modding and great only for balancing a very unbalanced game.

Wow, that Rise of Laroth project sounds like a doozie! It sounds like it sure has some esoteric requirements, but it would certainly make one hell of a hypothetical future, "what if?" type custom scenario if nothing else. Not that it'd necessarily happen, but one can always dream. In what ways did your implementation fall short? (And for that matter, why would Auric have to Ascend before being slain by the Netherblade? I thought that Rhoanna stabbed him mid-ritual, before he had fully Ascended).

I personally am a huge fan of Freya's CityStyle modmod, and I'll see if I can integrate it into the tweaked-out version of your modmod that I'm currently running. That said, the thing I'd most love to see in a new patch would be a proper integration of the two modmods. And if graphical flavor is a priority for you, you could even look into borrowing the civ-specific towns/workshops/lumbermills/mines/quarries that Master of Mana uses.

If it's not a bother, might I ask for a rough estimate on the next patch's release date? Looking forward to your work as always.

I really love the idea of custom scenarios depending on certain conditions. Would love to see all religions have the ability to do some cray thing that threatens the world. Not just order and ashen veil. Would it not be better to start with fall further as your base though?

Agreed, FFH is a rockin' mod indeed. I keep coming back to it as well. I'm pretty sure that Fall Further is long dead and buried, though. This modmod is instead based on Tholal's More Naval AI, meaning smarter opponents and only lore-appropriate civs.

I've gotta disagree with you about all religions deserving a world-ender, though. I find it appropriate that the treehugging elves have a faith that promotes peaceful growth and culture, and the stereotypical dwarves gain wealth and production from their goddess. I enjoy the diversity and flavor, and quite frankly, two "Hey guys, let's all ruin Erebus!" type religions are enough for me, thank you very much.

I'm actually working on a custom scenario myself, with a hand-crafted map and activated events and all that fun stuff. Hope to finish it in the near future.

I don't think it would be hard to impplement More Naval AI into Fall Further instead of FFH2.
I agree that elves and dwarves would have different game changers. Such as Forest spreading rapidly and covering the planet. Dwarves being able to create Golden Golems if them have enough gold to create one and make them stronger. Just some random ideas. So I do not promote world ending abilitys for all religions but I do support game changers for all religions.

I would love to try this scenario when its completed. Sounds like a lot of fun.

@MagisterCultuum
Hello, I played my szenario with your MagisterModmod with my friends several times now.
I really enjoy stuff that´s included. But I also see some grave balancing issues.
One reason why we have choosen to change to MagisterModmod was the ability to get Magic Resictance easily with Knowledge of Ether. But now we found out that you need combat 5 too to get it. Maybe that´s an bug because in the enceclopetia it´s not mentioned.
I dondn´t know if you want to balance the game for multiplayers. If so tell me.
So far for this version I can tell you that following units are much overpowered:
-First priests you get from founding religion: You can easily raid every city and destroy infrostructure without resitance.
- you can get pyro combies much too early and they are far too strong - stronger than champions.
- Illians are unstoppable with White Hand.
- sheaim too strong
- Lucian too strong

My suggestions:
- reduce the power of magic spells. some do 60 - 80 % damage for a whole stack. Reduce it to 30 - 40%
- baranaxus should loose promotions when he dies
- amurites only one instead of two adepts in the beginning

would be nice if you have a ear for my suggestions, as i know you are not so interested in multiplayer games.

Schargiel--try Erebus in the Balance for multiplayer. Designed entirely for multiplayer balance and viability.

Magister modmod is really fun as is for cheesy single player games, IMO. Lately I have been having a lot of fun with Elohim's spirit affinity monks :)

Top Bottom