• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Major League Baseball 2012 Season

It looks like Miggy has clinched the Triple Crown. Does he win the MVP?

Don't forget that Trout scored more runs and stole more bases than Cabrera, so it is not like it is going to be easy to decide that title. He was also not that far off in the other categories had he started from the beginning of the season.

He shouldn't but he will. Factoring in SB and baserunning runs Trout is almost as effective a batter as Miggy and when factoring defense it's not even close. Sadly RBI's are still somehow considered the Most Important Stat Ever (TM) and DET made the playoffs. It will take an insane upset for BBWAA for Trout to win.

so we will basically have "Two Game 7's" on friday night. not sure how i feel about that.

I love it. I get to see the Cards playing for their postseason loves this friday night.
IMHO thise 2 WC per league system is great for baseball. It makes winning the division so much more important.

Regarding Cabrera vs Trout:
Cabrera should win it easily. The triple crown is just too big to ignore. But Trout's WAR of 10.7 is pretty damn impressive for a 21-year-old. And his defense is great, but I expect the voters will go more for the "standard" stats (avg, RBI, HR) then for defense, WAR, SB, runs...

for a cards fan, yeah, i bet you like it. you would be on the sidelines if not.

it's the one game play-in/play-off that is weird for me. you play all season long...make it to the so-called postseason...and then all eggs in a one game basket. meh. counter-intuitive to what the baseball season is, a grind. make it a series, not a one gamer. same for the divisional series. 5 games? too few. i want 7 games :)

for a cards fan, yeah, i bet you like it. you would be on the sidelines if not.

it's the one game play-in/play-off that is weird for me. you play all season long...make it to the so-called postseason...and then all eggs in a one game basket. meh. counter-intuitive to what the baseball season is, a grind. make it a series, not a one gamer. same for the divisional series. 5 games? too few. i want 7 games :)

Agreed. One game play-offs are just about acceptable as a tie-breaker, but as an integral part of post-season, bleh.

Of course I'm not going to want the Cards to lose or something numpty like that, and no, I won't consider their forthcoming 2012 WS Championship to be somewhat lesser because they only got in through the extra WC - you just play by the rules as they are set. But the rules are dorky.

To be fair, I can see what Darkness means about it making winning the division more important - but really, it just makes having the 4th best record much less useful than it was previously (exactly half as useful, really). Some greater differentiation between winning a division and gaining a wildcard isn't a bad consequence, but one game play-offs are still dorky and against the nature of baseball.

I love it. I get to see the Cards playing for their postseason loves this friday night.
IMHO thise 2 WC per league system is great for baseball. It makes winning the division so much more important.
Not to mention winning the League. Home field at the LCS is good and all, but going into the LDS with your opponent's Ace most likely burned and not available until game 3 is huge. Plus I like the bonus of dumping the "you can't play a team from your division in the LDS" rule.

Regarding Cabrera vs Trout:
Cabrera should win it easily. The triple crown is just too big to ignore. But Trout's WAR of 10.7 is pretty damn impressive for a 21-year-old. And his defense is great, but I expect the voters will go more for the "standard" stats (avg, RBI, HR) then for defense, WAR, SB, runs...

That is what will happen, but not what should happen.
The playoff argument is hilarious because they Angels were the team more deserving of being in the post-season with a better record than the Tigers who just happen to be in the worst division in the AL (if not MLB).
As for the "it's been 45 years since the last triple crown winner" well, Trout's stats are pretty much unprecedented, they just don't fall in the big three traditional categories (well, average is only .004 behind Cabrera). Overall Trout has pretty much an equal offensive impact, but comes out well ahead on defence.

But in the end, both are more than worthy of the MVP and I can't complain about either receiving it.

trout may very well end up winning a triple crown himself at some point. so i say we should all appreciate what carbrera has accomplished. it is rarefied air as far as i'm concerned :) it is almost an automatic MVP stamp imho.

The thing about Cabrera for me is: An opposing team goes over the Tiger's lineup before a game. They see Cabrera's name and the manager, pitching coach and everybody else says "we can't let THAT GUY beat us"... what does Cabrera do?

He keeps raking and beating them. :cool:

trout may very well end up winning a triple crown himself at some point. so i say we should all appreciate what carbrera has accomplished. it is rarefied air as far as i'm concerned :) it is almost an automatic MVP stamp imho.

Most seasons he would unquestionably be the MVP. It just happens that two players had such incredible seasons in the same league this year.

My biggest issue with the idea that "he won the triple crown, so he gets MVP" comes down to the idea that if Hamilton had hit two dingers last night and Cabrera had an outstanding game, but no home run, he loses the MVP. That would be ridiculous. One player's performance in a different game shoudn't take the MVP from someone like that (unless they earn themselves the award).
In addition to it only looking at three stats, one of which (RBI) is at least as dependent on the batters ahead of him in the lineup as his skill. While the main arguement against using runs scored as a useful metric is the exact opposite, it is highly dependent on the hitters following in the lineup.

Yeah... but the 'don't let Cabrera beat you' part makes letting Fielder beat you OK... right? Still Cabrera doesn't really give Prince the chance.

that's almost like saying "if so-and-so hadn't squirted that ball past the shortstop, so-and-so would have had a perfect game".

i guess it boils down to who really is most valuable, to their team that is. both squads made the playoffs. so it's hard to call. i would probably lean trout in that case. but it's a stats award, has been for years. and a triple crown is breathtaking imo.

Let's not forget that Prince hit .308 with 30 HR's and 108 RBI. Not exactly the most appealing alternative to Cabrera. :lol:

Well... for what he is paid that is the least he could do. :mischief:

GIANTS!

But seriously, O's/A's/Nats/Rangers are my backups.
I support the Giants, just because i can. And MLB 2K9 :p

The Red Sox elected to roll over and die for another few decades last night.
Yep. Hopefully my other home team (Brewers) do well next year.

I will be rooting for the A's and Giants. The Orioles are a good story but I have to go with my old childhood teams if it ain't the Red Sox.

And of course we can all unite together in rooting against the Yankees. I mean that should be obvious.
Yes. Down with the evil Yankees regime!

Doesn't do any good if Bobby V has other plans.:sad: Where is the dignity in Boston?
Gone out the window with the dodgers trade.

Top Bottom