Making a Top 100 for Best Video Game Music

I agree, though the latter can contribute to the former, they aren't necessarily the same.

I'll add the mandatory Deus Ex nomination, particularly the Main Theme and UNATCO Theme. Although seeing that Deus Ex: Invisible War has an entry at slot #88, I suspect I may not need to...

Edit: Oh, and of course Halo's main theme, along with several other solid Martin O'Donnell contributions. Another game that I've left up at the menu for the sake of the music.

Yeah, I mean Halo is a perfect example. The main theme falls into the latter, but there are so many tracks that work only as ambient noise that perfectly encapsulates the specific moment in the particular level.

Link to video.

Also? Halo 1 is a goddamn perfect game and I'm really annoyed that nobody voted for it in the Game of the Year thread.

I'll add the mandatory Deus Ex nomination, particularly the Main Theme and UNATCO Theme. Although seeing that Deus Ex: Invisible War has an entry at slot #88, I suspect I may not need to...

I couldn't possibly comment, yet... ;)

Yeah, I mean Halo is a perfect example. The main theme falls into the latter, but there are so many tracks that work only as ambient noise that perfectly encapsulates the specific moment in the particular level.

Also? Halo 1 is a goddamn perfect game and I'm really annoyed that nobody voted for it in the Game of the Year thread.

I'm with you. Maybe this will make amends? Link: http://www.celjaded.com/celjaded-top-100-best-video-games-2/

Very nice theme, thanks! My mate has been raving about this game for days now- it really that good?

I myself am enjoying it very much; still on my first play-through; from the exploration stage to the empire building stage to the Europa style power class play it is a very lovely experience indeed.

Bah, I wish kids these days with their fancy modern music would get off my highly-pixellated lawn!

I think computer game music from the 80ies is in many ways more memorable because it's more unique, trying to get rich sound out of limited technology.

The Cybernoid 2 title theme probably impressed me more than any computer game music since...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv5_LsRaPrY

I gotta drop some Myst themes here.

Some nice music there indeed, I particularly liked the Myst III theme. Aside from a brief go on Riven many years ago, I never got into the Myst series so all of those samples were new to me. Thanks for sharing!

Speaking of which, Part 9 of the Top 100 is now ready to view: http://www.celjaded.com/top-100-best-video-game-music-20-11/

I'll be posting the final Top 10 on Friday 3rd June to coincide with my blog's 2nd anniversary. Should give me plenty of time to make it a worthy send-off at any rate!

No video game music contest is to be taken seriously if it doesn't include the legendary Turrican II OST.

Link to video.

(especially good soundtracks are The Wall (37:23), The Desert Rocks (8:31), The Final Fight (first one). But honestly, nearly all of the tracks are effing great - it's not a legendary soundtrack for no reason)

Much more recently, Stellaris was released, and it has some absolutely marvelous music in it too.
Like Alpha Centauri :

Link to video.

Or To the end of the galaxy :

Link to video.

Ace Combat 04 has some amazing pieces. The final mission theme is of course the best. Simply tremendous.

Link to video.

Megafloat and Shattered Skies (title drop) are also contenders.

No video game music contest is to be taken seriously if it doesn't include the legendary Turrican II OST.

Quite right, that sounds extremely cool indeed!

Ace Combat 04 has some amazing pieces. The final mission theme is of course the best. Simply tremendous.

Not one I've played or ever would have considered, a very good pick!

---

For anyone who missed it btw, here is the final part in my top 100 list: http://www.celjaded.com/top-100-best-video-game-music-10-1/

If you followed the list up until now then allow me to extend my sincere thanks. I've really enjoyed the comments and suggestions here and look forward to seeing you all again for the next list in a year's time! :)

Top Bottom