making an apocalyptic mod.

Feel free to please comment I could use help coming up with ideas.

You guys say it I'll make it.

Feel free to give me some cool apcolypic ideas and concepts that you have come up with.

The more ideas we come up with together the faster I can make stuff.

My main problem will evetual be that I'm not very creative. Eventual will hit a brick wall with my ideas where I can go no further due to lack of imagination.
Sometimes I need to be told what to make or told a direction to go into

So please help me out and tell me some opacolyptic things you'd like to see.

Since I haven't built anything I'll talk a little more about units.

I've worked on in the past and plan on bringing in 40k units from this mod

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/wh40k-teaser-mod-60-144-new-units-some-other-stuff.449649/

I plan on using just about all of them.
The units need to be rescaled in blender. Or like I've done in the past make custom scaled down effects for the units.

I'm going to make 2 civs using the orcs 1 being yellow and the other green. Just like mutants from fallout.

But as for the 40k units. Many of the humans will be late game units.
The Tyranids I may have to re-use models reskinning and making new fx triggers to set them apart.

I'm thinking I can add the aliens from beyond earth to boost there ranks. Civ BE should be plug and play idk yet they use the same engine.
The Tyranids will be more like a swarm race with genetic mutations rather then a focus on technology of coarse unlocked by technology.
I can reskin 1 give it all new effects and it can be a different unit.
I'm thinking some acid spitters, ones that emmit smoke as a ranged defence having a bonus to ranged combat.
I can make screechers that look like they are screening out shockwaves as a ranged attack.

I'm thinking some of them could be suicide units running in to blow themselves up.
Or to run in and emmit an energy charge

I have a bunch of other effect ideas I have played around with in the past.

I'll also be using some stuff from the mod fearun

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=217840547

I have some ideas for some of the most mondane fantasy units.
For example the orcs idk if it's in that mod or not. But somewhere out there are orc settlers and they have a small lizard. I might make that a new type of opacolyptic lizard resource.

As for other resources I'll reskin the cows to be brahmin from fallout.
Although If people are happy with the cows not moving like they do and staying perfectly still do to my lack of animation experience I can add in real brahmin but they won't move like the cows do slightly during the games.

I'll be snagging some code and ideas from the wild life reborn mod here

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=680230366

I like the way it functions. Spawning units on certain terrain and certain units at certain times of the game based on tech.
The animals and dinos in the do not spawn on barb camps they spawn on normal tiles.
Forests jungles plains grassland desert coast ect, ect...
I can expand on that concept bringing wildlife to the opacolypse.
I'll be making raider and mutants the barbarians.
I might even try to make a second barb faction that would be interesting. Having 1 as raider and another as mutants.
And have wildlife spawn on the map.
I'll be using the Tyranid units for some wildlife and for others it will be animal reskins.

Dispite them also going to be in the barb unit roster the raider, mutants, and Tyranids will be playable factions I want to have in the game.

By the time I'm done with civilizations they should all feel completely different.
I'll be taking the building and unit class over rides for civilizations to the extreme.

It's going to be quite interesting the way I may do this it's just an idea as of right now but it is the easiest way to achieve the diversity I require.

I can made a disabled technology. Assigning many things to it.
This way I can micromanage and pick and choose what faction gets what. Even elimating building that every one else may have access to but your faction won't.

Then Assigning the class over rides for civilization to correspond to a new existing tech.

Civ will only show the first 2 unique components for a civilization. That won't matter to me.
The factions will be so diverse and different from 1 another I won't be able to list all the unique components on the loading screen anyway.
I'll be adding so many unique components to each civ / faction. They should all feel completely different.

Last edited:
For the Tyranids I plan on not giving them workers at all. Certain units they make will be able to make different tile improvements beyond just there combat abilities or initial purpose.
Sort of like how the Roman legionars can make roads and forts.
This will give each member of your Tyranid colony another purpose with in your hive colony besides combat making them more hive minded or ant like.
I think I will also give the Tyranids more improvements early on before most others. Giving them the appearance of already somewhat adapting to the new destroyed world terriforming it into their hive lair.

I have some do able ideas brewing. I've already seen many of the things I want to do done just not on the scale I plan to do them. But people ideas and concepts will be my stepping stones for many things.

Eventual I might start taking video of unit effects. Looking back at the picture the picture just don't capture it well enough.
I will need videos of the effects to show off the entire effect instead of bits and pieces.

Spoiler First fallout resource reveal :

Sorry it is a bad pic they came in a little small and i didn't feel like messing with it anymore
the brahmin dont move sadly
if any one would like to help me and walk me through the process of rigging it to a cow animation that would be great message me
unless that happens they will me motionless

upload_2022-6-23_19-6-40.jpeg

that brahmin can be used in some ones mod if they want.
when i go to actually do resources for this mod ill be fine tuning them more, and adding more stuff to it, but that one is meant to keep the regular civ feel for any one wanted that resource for there own uses.

Attachments

• upload_2022-6-23_18-59-59.jpeg
    upload_2022-6-23_18-59-59.jpeg
    248 KB · Views: 18
    250.2 KB · Views: 20
    260.6 KB · Views: 18
    286.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Brahmin.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Ruins number 6 another larger defendable ruin meant to be like a fort or citadel type feature.

Spoiler :

upload_2022-6-24_3-22-42.jpeg

does it look right? besides not having a dds file yet and being ugly.
is it a good size? too small to big?
is it a bad concept?
these are going to be features not improvements. so it will be found mixed in with all the other ruins not built by a worker. keep that in mind.

the city set looks a little better this time around. more needs to be done with em.
i may color code them later to further highlight what model and what model's mesh is placed where.

im getting closer to achieving a good look.
i think i should take the ruble buildings out they aren't coming in as i had hoped. but maybe i can still swap the meshes around and fix that.
i need to figure out which specific model on the gr2 file spawns the seast and assign the ruined building meshes to that one

this city is probably gonna be one of the hardest ones im doing.
some of the others will probably be easy as ill be using less huge stuff.
the hive and alien city sets will probably be the more interesting ones but much easier to get the placement down. the meshes for those should be a much better fit.
the raider and super mutant city sets ill probably like making the most. i picked out some evil and twisted stuff for those.

So i have to ask. Hows it looking so far. Anything you guys would like to see in this "scrap city" city set.
besides the dds file. im not making those until the models make the final cut for the mod.
Should i add more stuff like a water tower.

i think there are a few to many barrels at times.
i need to fix the overlapping issue.
this is harder then other models as civ places them somewhat randomly.
the cooking brahmin doesn't seem to show up as much as i liked.
for the most part i think the cars and sandbags are placing well.
Some of my scrap buildings aren't showing up as often as i hoped either.
i have some showing up to much and other not showing up enough yet.

I remade the city set graphic. starting back over.
i added more building, some utility stuff, and more scrap buildings are appearing.
still a slight over lapping issue with certain buildings.
some things need to be resized a little.
Spoiler scap city set picture Era 1 :

upload_2022-6-27_10-29-0.jpeg

I'm pretty happy with how the city set is turning out.
looks great next to the ruins.
the ruins should get scaled down just a bit.
i was gonna do that anyway but now it is a must.

also take into considerations all those ruins are an larger urban ones and the buildings in the city set are small scrap shacks.
but the ruins are definitely to large.
as i make the later era city sets it will slowly grow higher and larger with the eras.

Spoiler pictures of the city set next to ruins :

upload_2022-6-30_5-7-9.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm just going to start making observations as I go through this thread.

The first thing I noticed early on was that your buildings all look very similar, too similar. But, maybe you change that later on, so I'll wait until I reach the end to comment more on that.

As to Washington D.C.? My gut says don't make it right now. Maybe later, but for the time being I'd worry about getting the main basics of you mod figured out. Later on I would consider it.

And since you specifically ask about what we think your mod should do--regarding being the USA or even Earth--I would say, make multiple versions of the same mod. Again, first start with the basics, the framework of the mod, that could be applied to any post-apocalyptic planet. When all of that is done, release it as a standalone mod. Call it Ghost Coast Apocalypse or something.

Later, add in Washington DC, the Statue of Liberty, whatever other things you want that are specific to Earth. Release that stuff in a second mod called GC Apocalypse: Cool Scenario Name Here.

Gives players more choice when it comes to deciding what they want to play.

Buildable world wonders:
Mad Max Thunderdome
Half Life 2 Citadel and Black Mesa East

Natural wonders:
Walking Dead--Center for Disease Control & Prison
Planet of the Apes--Statue of Liberty Hand
The Postman--Bridge City
Zombieland
Half Life--Black Mesa
Left 4 Dead--Mercy Hospital
Left 4 Dead 2--Whispering Oaks
Resident Evil--Looking Glass House
28 Days Later--Balfron Tower
The Mist--Arrowhead Project
The Tripods--White Mountains

Lots of cities as well you could include in the mix--City 17 from Half Life 2, Bridge City and Pineview from The Postman, Raccoon City.

Regarding trees, I'd say reduce their numbers. But you might also consider another mod with few or none.

Eras
1: Survival
2: Fighting Back
3. Rebuild
4. Last War

I don't know where you've looking besides Fallout for ideas, but here are some I'm familiar with:

Games:
Rebuild 1 & 2
Half Life 2
Neo Scavenger (mostly forests, you may look at the buildings in that game for inspiration)
Caravaneer 1 & 2 (almost entirely desert settings)

Movies:
The Postman
World War Z
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead

I'd look at some pictures of these games and movies.

28 Days Later Henry West great general, probably lots of others from other media

President Madagascar from game Pandemic.

I am legend Great Doctor Robert Neville--you could have a zombie virus spreading through cities or something, and doctors would help to treat the virus, with great doctors getting closer to cures to varying extents.

Feral ghouls--can't you just have the game randomize which type barbarians get?

Ok, I finished going through the thread. The big thing that stuck out to me was that the tone of gray for your buildings is too boring--I would have more variety, slightly different tones of gray, brown, etc, instead of the same color for all your buildings.

Ok, so I think that's good for now, should serve to give you some fuel for your mod for a while :)

Top Bottom