Mammoth taming

garfunkel

Chieftain
I'm currently in the Antique era, as far as I know, no AI has advanced to Classical era. I have multiple hunters scouring the two fairly large taiga and tundra areas of the map but no mammoths are to be found! I have plenty of musk ox and caribou and even penguins, not to mention all the birds flying around there, plus an occasional moose every now and then, but the big guys seem to be missing! Did I lose my chance of taming them if I didn't do it during the Prehistoric era? Or am I just unlucky and should keep killing/subduing the other Arctic/Polar animals to give room for them to spawn?

I'm currently in the Antique era, as far as I know, no AI has advanced to Classical era. I have multiple hunters scouring the two fairly large taiga and tundra areas of the map but no mammoths are to be found! I have plenty of musk ox and caribou and even penguins, not to mention all the birds flying around there, plus an occasional moose every now and then, but the big guys seem to be missing! Did I lose my chance of taming them if I didn't do it during the Prehistoric era? Or am I just unlucky and should keep killing/subduing the other Arctic/Polar animals to give room for them to spawn?
It all depends on what resources end up on the map and where you are on the map as to what kinds of animals will spawn (and yes, the era will matter too so you might be past their era now.) You apparently did not begin the game where mammoths roam unfortunately.

Damn, I was worried that that was the case. Oh well, I had such a great start so I'll keep playing. Maybe next game! Thanks for the response.

If you build the Montreal Biodome in the industrial era (I think it is), eventually it'll spawn you a mammoth. It spawns every animal eventually, even the obscure ones, so it's good if you're a completionist. Of course by then there's not much benefit, except of course the +1 food, production and science you get from building a mammoth herd in the city and then tamed mammoths out to every city.

I usually edit the spawn file in my own games so that all the herd-building animals spawn on relevant terrain, rather than JUST on their (often very rare) bonus resources. I also made tamed kangaroos and emus, because there's still a few herds missing from the tamed animals roster.

Top Bottom