Mansa won't become a vassal

Mouthwash

Escaped Lunatic
I am playing as Arabia. Mali converted to Islam, I'm much bigger than him, he has every reason to vassalize, but he won't. In addition, he claims it is "out of his hands," although he isn't a vassal of anyone else. Some advice?

Are you at war with someone that he's recently given tribute to? (he won't be able to declare war on them)
Is he at war with someone that you cannot declare war on?
Do you already have the maximum number of vassals (4?)?

They're the main reasons I can think of at the moment, no doubt someone better at the game can come up with better :)

No, neither of us are at war. I only have two vassals.

I've had that "It's out of our hands" popping up at strange times as well (no active wars for either one of us), if someone can explain what's causing it - and how to stop it - that would be much appreciated by me as well.

I've had this problem lots of times. It's often caused by being at war with an indie or native civ when the would-be vassal isn't. I just go into the worldbuilder and change the diplomatic settings :)

How would being at war make him say, "It's out of our hands?"

How would being at war make him say, "It's out of our hands?"

Although it sounds ridiculous, the fact that you are at war at all worries him. If you're not attacking the independents, wait a few turns for the war to stop and ask him again. Of course, if he's attacked by someone you have to check every turn or he'll vassalize to someone else. If an AI is at war, they are often eager to look for a protector.

i've only ever been able to vassalize mansa musa by killing all of his units and capturing everything but timbuktu, with a unit standing right next to it. so i guess the best way to do it is to world builder in a helicopter. i've only ever really vassalized him for flavor reasons. all he's ever done for me is capture aksum, give me some trade routes and beg for cities.

Top Bottom