many questions...

dragonfly522

Chieftain
Hi,
I don't expect an answer for all of the questions from one person. But any help with any of the questions would be much appreciated. I need help. I feel kind of silly not knowing the answers.

1) I have an option to produce culture from either production or commerce, I forget which one right now, by selecting to "produce" that instead of producing a building or training someone. I doesn't take any turns to use that "production". When I click on the culture one out of the three, I don't see my culture count go up. What exactly does this "production" choice do?

2) Is there another use for gold besides making a part of a trade and paying for expenses? I am pretty sure already that there is nothing more that I can do with it.

3) Some techs are only needed to get another tech or to build a certain building. If I trade a tech, does a building get destroyed if I used that tech to build the building? What about the tech needed to learn that tech? Do I lose the techs behind it? I hope that you understand what I am saying.

4) There is a building, I think the Global Theater, that erases all of the unhealthiness frowns (it may be the unhappiness frowns, I forget which one) for the city that produces the building. Besides that, are there other ways to reduce unhealthiness frowns? Would building a cottage help? Aarg!

I think you are talking about civ4,not civ5.
In civ5,you can neither trade a tech nor have unhealthiness frowns.

Hi,
1) I have an option to produce culture from either production or commerce, I forget which one right now, by selecting to "produce" that instead of producing a building or training someone. I doesn't take any turns to use that "production". When I click on the culture one out of the three, I don't see my culture count go up. What exactly does this "production" choice do?

I assume you mean "buildling" culture. Just to be clear I'll list the options for all hammer builds;

a) Alpha tech allows you to build Research (beakers)
b) Currency allows you to build Wealth (gold)
c) Music allows you to build culture

All options convert hammers (production) into the output (beakers, gold, culture). Hammer modifiers like forges increase that output. This output is exclusive of how you run your sliders and is not impacted by commerce and buildings that effect commerce (libraries, markets, etc.)

There are really only 2 reasons to ever build culture - for quick border pops in new cities or to push back a culture squeeze, and possibly late game in the 3 cities used for culture victory if there is nothing else to build that will enhance that victory.

Building wealth is generally the best of these options as it allows you to keep your slider up. This works well after currency to fuel expansion and late game when you may have a huge hammer economy with lots of workshops/watermills, etc. Building research after Alpha can get you to Currency faster :). It's also an option if you are running positive gold at 100% beakers.

2) Is there another use for gold besides making a part of a trade and paying for expenses? I am pretty sure already that there is nothing more that I can do with it.

Upgrade units, rushbuy in US civic, bribe AIs...but more complex is to fund research. It's sometimes a good idea to run binary research (100% tax) early game to fund expansion. This is complex and would require shadow games to really help you.

3) Some techs are only needed to get another tech or to build a certain building. If I trade a tech, does a building get destroyed if I used that tech to build the building? What about the tech needed to learn that tech? Do I lose the techs behind it? I hope that you understand what I am saying.

Not really...you are really new....no issue with that but you really need to read up and maybe run a shadow learner game (best way to learn). I don't quite follow your question really, but I will try to answer. Once you research a tech you always have that tech. Trading techs is not giving it away and then not having that tech - you always have it. Think of it this way: You just discovered the Wheel. A nearby civilization does not have it but they have discovered the knowledge of brick working (Masonry). You share your knowledge of the Wheel with them and they share their knowledge of Masonry. Does that mean you now have no clue how to make a Wheel. Anyway, there are many things in Civ that mirror real life historically - just try to think of things logically.

Buildings based on a tech do not get destroyed if you trade that tech away. However, some buildings do obsolete once a certain tech is discovered. For instance, Monasteries can no longer be built after you discover Scientific Method and existing ones lose their science bonus, but do keep their culture output.

4) There is a building, I think the Global Theater, that erases all of the unhealthiness frowns (it may be the unhappiness frowns, I forget which one) for the city that produces the building. Besides that, are there other ways to reduce unhealthiness frowns? Would building a cottage help? Aarg!

Globe Theatre erases unhappiness. National Park erases Unhealthiness the same way, although it's available a bit later. The Globe City is great city to use for Drafting or mass whipping and should be high food.

Cottages have no effect on the health of a city.

There are several buildings available throughout the game that help reduce unhealthiness. Read up in our Civopedia. Also, many resources help and some buildings increase the effect those resources provide.

1. you need to differentiate between the culture slider and building culture. you are correct in that one turns :commerce: into :culture:, and the other turns :hammers: in :culture:, but while building culture will effect one target city, but the culture slider will affect global :science: and :gold: yields. building culture turns any hammers, times multipliers, into culture. for example, you have 1 base hammer from your city, plus 4 more from a plains/hills mine, you will produce 5 culture from turn in addition to any other sources.

2. also, most of the random events give you better options if you have some gold on hand, and one of the best ones requires at least 1000 on hand to even trigger.

3. buildings will not be destroyed, but they will obsolete, meaning that all of its effects are cancelled except for culture and great person production, and monasteries continue to allow you to produce missionaries. this mostly applies to great wonders, as only a few normal buildings have this attribute. also, you cannot continue building any units or buildings that have been made obsolete.

4. there is a big difference between :mad: and :yuck: faces. you need to familiarize yourself with what the two mean. the national park will reduce :yuck: from population to zero, but you are still effected by building :yuck: city improvements (forge, factory, etc.). there are various other buildings that add health, as well as resources that you can trade for.

Top Bottom