Map design limits the strategic feature of controlling polar regions

Didnt Civ 3 or Civ 4 or have a 3d design where you could continually scroll up or sideways. Cant believe I've forgotten (very flu'ey).
Never made sense that they removed it.

This should change, to a spherical design (Civ 6 on a 3D sphere!).

You can't have a hexagon grid on a sphere. I can get close but you also have to have some pentagons to distort the shape enough to make it spherical. I don't think they can make a game where every tile is a hexagon but a few are pentagons.

Didnt Civ 3 or Civ 4 or have a 3d design where you could continually scroll up or sideways. Cant believe I've forgotten (very flu'ey).
Never made sense that they removed it.
Civ 4 dod but you'll notice:
Spoiler :

The poles aren't really part of the map.

I remember that but I do also remember a map mode which allowed you to scroll all the way up/down back to where you were and the same going left/right.
Maybe I'm imagining things.

I remember that but I do also remember a map mode which allowed you to scroll all the way up/down back to where you were and the same going left/right.
Maybe I'm imagining things.
Toroidal/donut worlds have been around for a while, falling out and coming back into fashion across the 4X genre.

You can't have a hexagon grid on a sphere. I can get close but you also have to have some pentagons to distort the shape enough to make it spherical. I don't think they can make a game where every tile is a hexagon but a few are pentagons.

They can, but no one wants to abandon the clean mathematics of an integral and orthogonal co-ordinate system.

Also, displaying the curvature would be... odd. Either you have to GPU to have curvature all the time, or you have some abstractions in the interface when looking at a pentagon and its neighbours.

Did you know the figure of the earth isn't spherical but rather oddly shaped?
Thanks for the pic Minor Annoyance.
Maybe this is another reason why submarines haven't been introduced, even though they're considered a last line of defense although arguably rational minded colonists would have left some sort of weapon behind and disguised in orbit before making landfall.

Top Bottom