Map Discussion

You're taking me too literally. "surprise me" in this context = let him pick. Although, curveballs are not unwelcome I suppose!

I thought tectonics was your favorite. ;)

I thought tectonics was your favorite. ;)

That's like saying I like events or that DaveMCW likes to spam long, drawn-out posts :p.

I made the suggestion as a joke because tectonics is anything but a balanced script. However, watching every team fall over itself trying to deal with amazingly crappy mostly plains-only land WOULD be interesting. One reason it intrigues me is that on high levels it's not viable...the AI can afford to spam out crapcities and the player suffers for it as he can't do so (there are ways to overcome the situation, but fairly one-dimensional). However, if EVERYBODY got amazingly terrible land, we'd really get a picture on how teams react.

I never seem to pick what is the team's favorite is. :p (since the smiley seems to be popular)

You're taking me too literally. "surprise me" in this context = let him pick. Although, curveballs are not unwelcome I suppose!
:)Yea I kind of suspected that your suggestion of a desert map migh be a joke:p... but I thought I would let you say that rather than just assume it.;)

With "surprise map" I meant it would be fun if you cannot rely on your knowledge of the automatic scripts. For example, if you have the donut script you only have to see a small part of the coast line to be able to predict what the whole landmass looks like. I like remake20's idea of creating a surprising map by gluing together stuff that comes from different map generators. Having said that, looking at the example maps above I think the Snaky Continents script does quite a good job on its own.

I'm a big fan of Global Highlands, but I defer to the mapmaker in general. I'll take my map medium-rare, like everything else.

Why don't we play on 1 tile islands? :p :lol:

I liked the global highlands from the last game so if I could that'd be number 4 for me, but not a Pangaea global highlands.

I like games where you can make some early contact, but can't make contact with everyone until optics.

I would like a surprise map but also like mariogreymist said, have a map that still requires some kind of navy and naval warfare. I prefer randomly generated maps for the variety of chokepoints and odd geo formations

Hmmm what about small individual Islands that are all reachable by galley surrounding a large continent that is only reachable with optics.:)

I don't really like the idea of a map that would cause everyone to race for any one tech. If we didn't know there was a "large continent that is only reachable with optics" and researching optics first gave someone an advantage that would be good for them. But if we all know the map is like that, everyone will be racing to optics.

Island games give a huge advantage to the dutch civ as well with early ships. It is generally a bad idea to do an MP island game.

Also it disincentives all of the early UU's.

If we do an island game every team will essentially have the same early strategy - and without contact it will be pretty boring for a while. A map where we can make contact is what will make the game fun and allow teams to try different strategies.

What if we do something like this

|| || ||

||||||||||

|| || ||

The "|"s are land and there is three islands on either side, so you could make contact with two neighbors, but then wait to meet other. Those islands are all reachable by galley.

What if we do something like this

|| || ||

||||||||||

|| || ||

The "|"s are land and there is three islands on either side, so you could make contact with two neighbors, but then wait to meet other. Those islands are all reachable by galley.

If those are all reachable by galley the only problem I have with it is that everyone would know what the map looked like to start. This problem would also be there with many other known scripts. I still would very much prefer not knowing what the map looks like beforehand.

Final Team Map Choices:
1. Mapmaker's Choice - 12 votes
2. Snaky Continents - 6 votes
3. Global Highlands - 4 votes

Updated individual choices:
Spoiler :
Calis
1. Island starts with large uninhabited continent
2. Map makers choice

damnrunner
1. Snaky Continents
2. Global Highlands

fireflames
1. global Highlands
2. Mapmakers Choice

harvman
1. Mapmaker's choice
2. Snaky continents

leonisgod
1. Surprise Map
2. Naval warfare

link16
1. Surprise Map
2. Snaky Continents

Loev
1. Mapmaker's choice

mariogreymist
1.Snaky Continents

Nabaxo
1. Snaky Continents
2. Mystery Map

Norton I
1. Surprise Map
2. No island starts

remake20
1. Island Starts w/ large uninhabited continent in the middle
2. Multiple Script Map
3. Doughnut

Silent Confusion
1. Mapmakers choice
2. Non-Isolated island Starts

Sommerswerd
1. Mapmaker's Choice
2. Doughnut w/Ocean, Maze, or Shangra-La Canter
3. Global Highlands / similar to last game

TheMeInTeam
1. Tectonics w/low seas and Arid climate
2. Surprise Map

wideyedwanderer
1. MapMaker's choice
2. Snaky continents
3. Global Highlands

Our choices are due by the 27th so I think it is time to close this issue and report our top 3 choices to the UN. I will do that now. Thanks to everyone for giving such great input.:goodjob:

Top Bottom