Map Discussion

DaveMcW

Deity
(stolen from Sulla)

What kind of map do you want? I'm going to provide some general maps scripts, which will serve as a basis for the customized map that will follow. What I want your team to do is let me know what kind of map you'd like to see for this game. Here are five general options to think about:

Wheel: One of the better Multiplayer maps for this sort of game, and a very "fair" map, with equal territory for all civs and access to each team. May be too unnatural for some teams' tastes. Also on the small side.

Donut: A fun script added in the expansion. All the teams start on the outside edge of the donut, with a large region of peaks in the middle. The peaks can also be replaced by water, or standard terrain, if desired. Lots of early contact on this map.

Islands: A map that features lots of water and naval combat. Each team has their own starting island to themselves, which may or may not be what you want. The islands by default are separated by ocean, but they can be bridged by turning on the "tiny islands" setting.

No Tiny Islands

Various Tiny Islands

Archipelago/Snaky Continents: One of my personal favorites, due to the crazy and unpredictable land forms it spits out. Navies will still be emphasized heavily on this script. Here are three different looks, with different settings:

Global Highlands: A more interesting take on Pangaea, IMO. The peaks make for all sorts of wacky geographical formations, and interesting decisions on where to settle. Lots of customization options in the settings too. The latter two pictures explore some of the peak options.

Now what I would like from each team is to discuss and agree on a ranking of your three top preferences. This doesn't mean that you'll necessarily get the script that you picked first, but I will take into account what kind of map each team wanted. For example, if your team was dead-set on an Islands map, I'll lean more towards the naval ones in the overall decision. You can also simply say, "we trust the map maker, come up with a mystery game that looks awesome" as I know a couple of teams have suggested. If that's the general team feeling, you can skip this discussion entirely. ;)

Once again, I'm asking each team to come to a decision on their top three map preferences by Saturday, March 27. At that point, I'll see what each team decided and do my best to come up with something agreeable to everyone (although that may be impossible...) Thanks for your input, and I'm looking forward to hearing from you! :cool:

I really like snaky continents, makes for some great city placements and, at least in single-player, makes conquests a breeze. ;D

Although, mystery-map is fine too. :D

I still would like to see a multiple map script map, but if not I wouldn't mind Doughnut, or everyone starts on an Island, but have to tech race to a continent in the middle.

I'm a fan of a mystery, unknown, surprise map. But I don't really care too much about the map. I probably would prefer a non-isolated island map. Anything else would be alright.

I agree with SilentConfusion, that I would like the map to be a surprise... however I don't want isolated islands, or islands at all really. If I was picking a second preference I would go with a Doughnut with an Ocean, large sea, Maze, or a hidden Shangra-La, in the middle instead of a block Mountains. Equally good IMO would be something similar to the last game, Pangea/Highlands.

So my preferences in order would be:
1. Mapmaker's Choice
2. Doughnut (with Ocean, Maze, or hidden Shangra-La center)
3. Pangea-Highlands (Similar to last game)

I don't mind which one is taken, but would prefer something that does not make naval warfare irrelevant. Snaky Continents is a map I think works well.

id like the map to be a suprise, but if we choose, then snaky continents would be great

I like the snaky continents. Global Highlands would be good as well. Doughnut and wheel are too unnatural for my tastes, although if we did use a doughnut I think it would be better to use an ocean or a maze or something instead of peaks.

I still would like to see a multiple map script map, but if not I wouldn't mind Doughnut, or everyone starts on an Island, but have to tech race to a continent in the middle.

Those are good ideas.

Bottom line is I want something balanced, realistic, and awesome. Maybe something with a few surprises. I know it's a tall order, but we have great map makers who are up to the challenge, right? :goodjob:

My vote:

1. Map Makers choice (as long as it's good ;))
2. Snaky continents
3. Global Highlands

My preference is surprise map. That way it will be more exciting to explore the vast seas... who knows there may some juicy island somewhere! I'm no fan of isolated starts, as it takes out the fun of grabbing land from our opponents.

Since DaveMCW is asking for our Team preferences by the 27th, I thought it might be helpful to distill them into one list for reference, questions (and corrections if needed):

So assuming that "Mapmaker's choice" "mystery," and "surprise" all mean the same thing (see "Questions" below if you said any of these) Here is our Team list of top 3 Map Choices (so far):
1. Mapmaker's Choice - 8 votes
2. Snaky Continents - 4 votes
3. Global Highlands / Doughnut - tie 2 votes each

Here are everyone's choices for reference:
Spoiler :
link16
1. Surprise Map
2. Snaky Continents

Loev
1. Mapmaker's choice

mariogreymist
1.Snaky Continents

Nabaxo
1. Snaky Continents
2. Mystery Map

Norton I
1. Surprise Map
2. No island starts

remake20
1. Multiple Script Map (multiple continents, each with inland seas, 2 teams per continent)
2. Doughnut
3. Island Starts w/ large uninhabited continent in the middle

Silent Confusion
1. Mystery map/Suprise Map
2. Non-Isolated island Starts

Sommerswerd
1. Mapmaker's Choice
2. Doughnut w/Ocean, Maze, or Shangra-La Canter
3. Global Highlands / similar to last game

TheMeInTeam
1. Tectonics w/low seas and Arid climate
2. Surprise Map

wideyedwanderer
1. MapMaker's choice
2. Snaky continents
3. Global Highlands

Questions- About "Mystery Map", "Surprise Map", and questions for remake20 and Silent Confusion
Spoiler :
1. For AMAZONs picking "mystery map" do you mean that you want "Mapmaker's Choice, ie whatever the Mapmaker's come up with as long as we don't know what it is or that you want the map to be random/computer generated, and we don't know what the settings are? Some of you actually put Mapmaker's choice, and some did not so we want to be sure/accurate about what we tell the Game Admins.

2. For AMAZONs wanting a "surprise map" do you mean the same thing as "mystery map" or "unknown map" or do you mean you want the map to have surprises in it, ie something unexpected, like large barbarian Fortresses on the map, or a global jungle or desert or something like that?

3. @remake20 - I remember you saying before what you had in mind when you said multiple script map...
Spoiler :
I asked what kind of multiple script map you envisioned and you said...
multiple continents all with inland seas.
Then I asked how many teams per continent and you said...
Probably two
if you have changed your mind about what multiple script you want, please say so here.:)

4. @ SilentConfusion - By "non-isolated island starts" do you mean you want island starts but just not isolated island (ie. non-isolated islands)? Or do you mean you don't want Island starts at all, b/c islands are always somewhat isolated (ie non Isolated island starts)?

@Sommerswerd:

By Mystery/Surprise I meant simply Mapmaker's choice. Although I would like it if it was something that would challenge the players by being unexpected, my main point is that I want it to be unknown to the team what the map will look like or what type it is before the start.

As for my other point, I don't want an isolated situation in which we have to wait for optics to meet anyone. Obviously this would mostly only happen if everyone was on their own island. Some of the example maps with the islands look like there would be no contact before optics and no possible inter-civ wars before Astro. I would prefer it if the other civs were accessible to everyone, either by galley or by land).

remake20
1. Multiple Script Map (multiple continents, each with inland seas, 2 teams per continent)
2. Doughnut
3. Island Starts w/ large uninhabited continent in the middle

3. @remake20 - I remember you saying before what you had in mind when you said multiple script map...
I asked what kind of multiple script map you envisioned and you said...
Then I asked how many teams per continent and you said...

if you have changed your mind about what multiple script you want, please say so here.:)

Sorry my order is 3-1-2, so islands with continent, then multiple map scripts, then doughnut with mountains and Shangra-la (EDITED), sorry for the confusion. I was just giving an example of the multiple map scripts, any combination will do fine.

I always enjoy playing on snaky continents, but for something like this I think map maker's choice would be preferable just for the surprise factor.

So to order them:

1. Map maker's choice
2. Snaky continents

That island with continent sounds rather nice. Other than that, I'd say surprise.

1. island start with continent
2. map makers choice

OK so with the new additions:
Spoiler :
Calis
1. Island starts with large uninhabited continent
2. Map makers choice

harvman
1. Mapmaker's choice
2. Snaky continents

link16
1. Surprise Map
2. Snaky Continents

Loev
1. Mapmaker's choice

mariogreymist
1.Snaky Continents

Nabaxo
1. Snaky Continents
2. Mystery Map

Norton I
1. Surprise Map
2. No island starts

remake20
1. Island Starts w/ large uninhabited continent in the middle
2. Multiple Script Map
3. Doughnut

Silent Confusion
1. Mapmakers choice
2. Non-Isolated island Starts

Sommerswerd
1. Mapmaker's Choice
2. Doughnut w/Ocean, Maze, or Shangra-La Canter
3. Global Highlands / similar to last game

TheMeInTeam
1. Tectonics w/low seas and Arid climate
2. Surprise Map

wideyedwanderer
1. MapMaker's choice
2. Snaky continents
3. Global Highlands
Our Team Map Choices (so far):
1. Mapmaker's Choice - 10 votes
2. Snaky Continents - 5 votes
3(tie).Global Highlands - 2 votes
3(tie). Doughnut (non-mountain center) - 2 votes
3(tie). Island Start with large uninhabited continent- 2 votes

Sorry my order is 3-1-2, so islands with continent, then multiple map scripts, then doughnut with mountains and Shangra-la (EDITED), sorry for the confusion. I was just giving an example of the multiple map scripts, any combination will do fine.
OK I understand, but remember we have to give our top 3 Team choices so the individual ordering does not matter as much.;)

I like a map that is realistic and where everyone can make contact early on. I think a few good discoverable islands can be nice but it should not be a game winner for whoever gets Astro 1st.

Id go with snaky continents or Global highlands.

Our Team Map Choices (so far):
1. Mapmaker's Choice - 10 votes
2. Snaky Continents - 6 votes
3. Global Highlands - 3 votes

Updated individual choices:
Spoiler :
Calis
1. Island starts with large uninhabited continent
2. Map makers choice

damnrunner
1. Snaky Continents
2. Global Highlands