Map layout, Terrain types, and features (For Map Script)

Please excuse the poor graphics. I was originally going to finish all the graphics before releasing this but I don't have the patience ATM to do them. Anyone willing to work on the graphics you are more than welcome to go ahead. I will likely not be working on the graphics for a long time as I would like to start working on the map scripts for SMAC.

There is also currently only one option for the terrain features setting as I am still confused of exactly what Geomodder wanted with this setting.

Feel free to post comments on the map script, especially what is wrong with it and how it can be improved.

Quite a shame, I knew it was a bad idea marshalling you into the SMAC-camp. :shake: ;)

I'll try to explain later what I meant with the terrain features setting, once I figured out all the changes you made.

The rilles look basically good, except for the blue "floor" in it. Don't know if this is my graphics card playing games with me?
I definitely will look for replacement graphics for the craters and cratered terrain features (for the time being ;) )
The domes look interesting, I'll have to find a setting which will put quite some on a map to see how they look.
I'm quite happy with how the terrae look at this stage. Only have to see how placing bases and improvements on this terrain type look.
The edges of the map are still abrupt. Can you tell me which parameter would allow to see the "icecaps" on a globemap in the pythonscript? I can try to adjust it myself then...

The edges of the map are still abrupt. Can you tell me which parameter would allow to see the "icecaps" on a globemap in the pythonscript? I can try to adjust it myself then...

Thats not a map script parameter. In order to remove the icecaps I simply modified Art/Terrain/Features/WorldCap/WorldCapIce.dds. If you want to remove the icecaps simply remove this file (or edit it to what you want ice caps to look like)

Quite a shame, I knew it was a bad idea marshalling you into the SMAC-camp.

It is getting rather dead here at SotM since everyone working on SotM is also on the SMAC team.

It is getting rather dead here at SotM since everyone working on SotM is also on the SMAC team.

Well, SMAC has more of a future IMO, but at some point I'd like to get this buttoned up in Vanilla and see if there's a desire to go into BtS.

Guess it has all the earmarks of becoming a solo-project. :(

:confused:

Solo?

I honestly thought there would be more than just 4-5 people excited about the mod being reborn. Hence, the lack of motivation lately. I know that AA is keen on continuing this for BtS, as am I.

Well, okay, I'll try to incorporate the new stuff before the end of the month then. ;)

Thanks Geo. I've honestly forgotten what new stuff we have so I'm eager to see it now. :p

The citysets look awesome.

Did we ever figure out the tga gamefonts issue?

I think it was solved. Snipper's graphics for the ideologies and stuff are visible now. :)

GeoModder and woodelf are going to start hating me. :scared:

Nah. Ideally these two projects are interconnected. One is moon based and the other on Alpha Centauri. Whatever isn't usuable for one can be ported to the other. We need to share. :)

Testing the mapscripts functionalities a bit. Need to recheck the intended stuff in it again before I can give usefull feedback.

On the graphics themself: Maria -and polar terrain is of course perfect. And the polar terrain appears on the spots where I asked it to: surrounded by mountain/terrae terrain. IMO, the "stubbed" look of the terrae terrain is nice, but it gives problems with the cityset buildings as they exist now. The hightdifference is too pronounced for the buildings size so either the terrain must be made more like a hill or we use bigger looking buildings which have a "basement" part as recommended by the cityset creators.
Personally, I'm in favour of the latter because the first-era cities will look more "digged" in the landscape then.

The craters and ejecta, well, I hope they're only filler terrain. :mischief: In any case I feel there's too little ejecta but since 2 features can't be on top of one another I guess their use is limited.
The rilles snake around just fine on the map, but I still wonder if the blue bottom is a result of my poor graphics card or a bug in their creation? Matthewv?
The domes look basically good, but I would "flatten" them a bit like a regular hill so they occupy the whole tile.

Btw, Matthewv, what sort of experiments were you doing with the resources? I noticed a whole bunch of new graphics but appearantly not used yet?

Do I need to redo some models Geo for the basements? Ugh, it's been a long time since I did these.

Do I need to redo some models Geo for the basements? Ugh, it's been a long time since I did these.

Better a decision is made first on how we want the terrae terrain to look. If it stays as it is, most models would need to be redone, yes.
Is it much effort creating such pretty much square-looking structures? I could always attempt to use bigger leafs first...

Not a ton of effort, but most likely I'd need to re-UVmap them, re-texture, and then re-export. Not a thrilling day by any means. :p

What happens if we make it so colonies can only be founded upon flat terrain? Would that help?

What happens if we make it so colonies can only be founded upon flat terrain? Would that help?

It would limit the habitable parts of a map alot, since terrae make up a large portion of the map. Not to mention it isn't very real-life. ;)

Top Bottom