[Map script]Creation.py for FFH2

Hi,

I’ve set HidePythonExceptions in the CivilizationIV.ini to 0.
It’s the CivilizationIV.ini in /My Games/Beyond the Sword/ CivilizationIV.ini

But there didn’t appear any Messages. Sorry!!!:(
I really can’t explain why?:confused:

I recognized some additional points.
1. There is no option to “recreate map” in FFH2 using creation.py
2. Different options are chose-able in the “custom game” starting screens of BTS and FFH2
by using the creation script

In order to documentate the problem better, I have added 5 new screens.
The first 2 show the situation while running FFH2
the next 2 shots show the situation in BTS
and at the last one, I’ve provocated a crash, by loading a creation.py map created in BTS to FFH2
I’m not sure but maybe it can help.

Thanks a lot for your Help,:)
Magnifficus

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 145
  • Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 82
It should be between 1.0 and 0.0. It's the chance that a peak will be flattened. 0.2 Should give you what you want I would think.

I tried it, but its not exactly what I want, because you're right, 0.0 looks better :) I suppose 0.0 is the best, but I have to add some "entries" with worldbuilder.

anyway: it works. ;)

Hi,

Actually, you may need to change the entry in the CivilizationIV.ini that is in the root vanilla Civ4 directory. That's were mine is changed and it carries over to all mods. If anything goes wrong you will get a popup.

Hi,
and at the last one, I’ve provocated a crash, by loading a creation.py map created in BTS to FFH2

Heheh, yeah I wouldn't expect that to work. The script is compatible with both BtS and FFH, but once the map is generated, the bonuses would be totally different.

Hi,

But there didn’t appear any Messages. Sorry!!!:(
I really can’t explain why?:confused:

I recognized some additional points.
1. There is no option to “recreate map” in FFH2 using creation.py
2. Different options are chose-able in the “custom game” starting screens of BTS and FFH2
by using the creation script

In order to documentate the problem better, I have added 5 new screens.
The first 2 show the situation while running FFH2
the next 2 shots show the situation in BTS
I’m not sure but maybe it can help.

Thanks a lot for your Help,:)
Magnifficus

Hey, that last screenshot has a python exception window. Maybe it's working. If you generate the map and it crashes (all grassland) you should get one of those popups.

Ok, PythonExceptions are set to 0 in all “CivilizationIV.ini”.
Still no python popup’s after creating a map, :(
neither with creation nor with PerfectWorld.
Both scripts still create something looking like a script crash.

Maybe the error appears until the map construction itself.
Did you notice the difference in the “setup or starting” screens?
In FFH “Climate” and “Sealevel” are adjustable. (Screen 1)
In BTS they are not. (Screen 3)

I don’t believe that’s intended.

I’m slowly convinced the problem can’t be solved, as easy as I believed first.

Best wishes

It sounds like you are also getting some effects from caching. In the ini file there is also a switch for file caching, turn that off so that the changes you make take effect right away. Things can get confusing when you don't know if your using cached files or the latest version.

Someone earlier in this thread had a similar problem with certain options not being greyed out.

[NWO]_Valis;6734863 said:
8 tries out of 8 I had the result like Magnifficus [post#212: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6725107&postcount=212]

I have python popups on but non came. Tried with and without barbarian world and with and without double bonuses on map, always same effect.

:/

Ok, set these variables in the ini file like so.

; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 1

; Overwrite old network and message logs
OverwriteLogs = 1

; Enable rand event logging
RandLog = 1

; Enable message logging
MessageLog = 1

If you don't get popups, you should still get a log of all errors. Until we can get an error explanation, it will be hard to solve.

I got the solution!:)

It was just as easy as I toughed first, even if I hadn’t believed it anymore.
I’d just put the script into the wrong folder, stupid newbie mistake.
Shame on me!:blush:

Originally Posted by Magnifficus http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6725107&postcount=212
I’ve copied it into: users/owner/documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/PublicMaps
(Sorry, I did something wrong by quoting myself)

But the right location to copy it, is the main CIV4 folder.
Standard path: C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier’s Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\PublicMaps\
After copying creation.py at there, everything is working excellent.

Thanks a lot for your support cephalo and xienwolf!

A new, very very glad and happy creation-map user!!

We’ve researched a new Technology: Quoting

What shell we research next?
-Programming
-CIVing on immortal level
-Digital art-working

You see, I’m learning fast.:mischief:

Best wishes:
Magnifficus

I got the solution!:)

It was just as easy as I toughed first, even if I hadn’t believed it anymore.
I’d just put the script into the wrong folder, stupid newbie mistake.
Shame on me!:blush:

But the right location to copy it, is the main CIV4 folder.
Standard path: C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier’s Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\PublicMaps\
After copying creation.py at there, everything is working excellent.

Thanks a lot for your support cephalo and xienwolf!

A new, very very glad and happy creation-map user!!

Worked for me as well :blush:

It would be good to mention it in the OP cause ppl like me who usually do not play custom scripted maps can get confused with all that double folder civ hierarhy.

[NWO]_Valis;6736947 said:
Worked for me as well :blush:

It would be good to mention it in the OP cause ppl like me who usually do not play custom scripted maps can get confused with all that double folder civ hierarhy.

I do mention to put it in the main public maps folder, although I've been told that you actually can put it in other PublicMaps folders and it works fine, it doesn't seem to work for everyone though.

Varn got a few more oasis in his lovely isolated desert empire. Disease ridden flood plains are nice and all, but barren deserts and one hammer desert hills don't quite cut it at any stage of the game.

Anyone else have the same experience? If so, how would we go about "un-gimping" Varn? I'm learning Python, so I'd be happy to take a stab at modding this modmod.

Oh, and BTW. Really love the mapscript. Adds tons of flavor to my games and the AI seems to behave much better when they are constrained to only dealing with 3-4 civs in the early game on a Huge 19 civ map. Great work! :goodjob:

If you don't want Varn to start in the desert, you can look at and edit the map script. There are some instructions in that section for how that works.

I think my post may have been misunderstood. I dig the whole desert messiah theme, so I'm not looking to have him spawn in another area.

I'm wondering how to go about getting more oasis in the desert areas. In the few games I've played through, and a number of the ones I created and inspected in world builder, Varn definitely gets the shaft. I think a few well placed oasis would make a world of difference.

Is this something that can be modified in Creation.py mapscript, or do I need to start looking at the FFH2 code?

The oasis placement is handled in the map script, and there is a tuning variable for that.

The default is OasisChance = .08

My oasis rule is that the plot must have desert on all sides to be an oasis, and if I remember correctly, there can't already be an oasis in an adjacent tile. It's been a while since I looked at it. Turning up the above variable to 1.0 will give you an oasis in every legal tile.

I was wondering how to get your mapscript to place scrubs in the desert.

I was wondering how to get your mapscript to place scrubs in the desert.

If by scrubs you mean shrubs, and by shrubs you mean incense, that is handled automatically by the default resource placement.

Top Bottom