map scripts with space terrain?

Thanks for the reply, hopefully a mapscript that has all the new features pops up soon, its a bit weird with space age units that cant go anywhere :)

There are good predefined maps, which you can use in a "Custom Game", I think.

To generate multi maps we need a way of defining information about the maps and the Python needs to be able to select plots (or a group of plots) by map to pass them to the exe.

WorldInfo defines the size of the Earth map. I am not sure what the purpose of the MapInfo as it is one of ours I think. It is not documented as part of the BtS Modiki.

If it is ours then perhaps we can use it to define each of the multi maps. It currently has
  • Name key etc
  • Height and Width (can this be defined/defaulted based on the map size of Earth instead?)
  • the way the map wraps or not
  • possible map scripts (this needs to be a list, with perhaps a default but it should also remember the players last choice for this map)
It also needs
  • Art for the UI
    • so the player can switch to that map (once they have the tech)
    • for moving the unit to the new map ie an action/mission button
1) We need to decide when the maps should be generated. There is no point generating them if the player is only playing to the Renaissance. Should a screen with the particular map options only pop up when the tech that allows movement to that map is discovered. How does this work in multiplayer?

2) What happens to the Earth map after you leave the solar system? Do the older maps get shrunk in some way? If it is then that needs to be defined in the XML also. Both when and the new size. It may be that you just don't get to use that map any more, which would remove all those units, cities, improvements etc freeing up a lot of memory.

3) The list of possible map-scripts means we need to change the way map-scripts are currently handled. Either the scripts need some identifying XML which indicates which map they belong to or the name of the map script needs to be put in the MapInfos XML. Either is good. The main options screens would need to be changed to use this XML.

Of course this all depends on shrinking the Main Interface python down to less than 100 lines of code!

To generate multi maps we need a way of defining information about the maps and the Python needs to be able to select plots (or a group of plots) by map to pass them to the exe.
This one is about to making space map script like Three Planets script or like included space scenarios with mod.

raxo is correct, however, disabling space units on maps that dont have the terrain would also be helpfull

raxo is correct, however, disabling space units on maps that dont have the terrain would also be helpfull
Forcing Launch Effect (spawned by NASA), that enables space units on Earth to science victory could be nice trick.
To win Scientific Victory you absolutely need space map scenario.
World Wonder needed for it needs space stuff.
Spoiler :

Civ4BeyondSword 2018-10-07 10-39-28-75.jpg

It cost slightly more than Project would cost in last column of tech tree.

It would break ongoing space games if they don't have Scientific Victory enabled.

Are there any mapscripts with space terrain in the pipeline? I have no idea how hard they will be to make, but i feel with the emphasis on mid-> late game that is happening more and more, it should be considered?

I took a look at it during the summer and I found it to not be too bad in terms of minimal technical knowledge to get something up and running, but it would still require a lot of manual coding of terrains, since there are so many space regions.
That would only give you a very limited map-generator, since it would be an extension of another map generator, and making a full generator would be a more complicated process.
I have to say that I would also like to see map-generators with full space capabilities, but that I don't have the time to help all that much for some time (at least until I can catch a longer break from my current projects).

Nope, sorry.

What if you (The devs of this mod in general) made it so that only the Terran parts of the map was randomly generated? As in, the parts of the map you have access to before space (The Earth) generate like a normal continents, for example, mapscript, while everything else was guaranteed to generate in a way that made it completely identical to one of the space map scenarios? Would that kind of thing be possible, and not way too difficult/much work?

What if you (The devs of this mod in general) made it so that only the Terran parts of the map was randomly generated? As in, the parts of the map you have access to before space (The Earth) generate like a normal continents, for example, mapscript, while everything else was guaranteed to generate in a way that made it completely identical to one of the space map scenarios? Would that kind of thing be possible, and not way too difficult/much work?
I think features and resources must have their spawning definition changed.
There is 11 distinct space zones.

Top Bottom