Mapgenerator helps when trying to move up in difficulty?

ahcos

King
hey folks,

this may sound stupid, but i recently tried to play deity a bit ... failed miserably, but i somehow realized that the game gave me 10 or so EPIC startpositions. all-green-capitol with lots of production, great sorrounding land, nice neighbours, alot of food, room for at least 10 cities even on deity ... and yeah, EVERY start was like that. tripple irrigated corn and gold? there you are. tryed some more and got another 10 incredible good startpositions... somehow felt like the game gave me a hand ?!

on the other hand, when i play immortal my start positions are so-so, sometimes good, sometimes bad... on emperor i usually roll the bad starts, or even the worst (semi-isolated with room for 3 weak cities ... yeah...) which isn't a problem after all but still ...

is there a built-in algorithm that gives players great starts (and, on top, great leaders randomly - had HC, MM, darius, vicky, hatty, ZY, mehmed, frederick in a row ... all with almost perfect capitals..)? it somehow didn't felt like it was pure luck, for pure luck the sheer mass of great starts in a row was too high ..

Yeah, once I tried emperor just for fun as HC, and the mapgen gave me this incredible start with a pig, 3 clams, a fish, riverside, on a plains hill, with no brown tiles nearby.
I was like, wtf just happened!?

I have experienced this, too. Just messing around on Immortal/Deity (way above my level), rolling up some random Fractal maps. I got very good starts. Either Corn or Pig in my capital every time, and I very frequently got gold/gems/silver, either in BFC or nearby, and never on desert or anything. I don't remember ever getting a food resource other than Corn or Pig.

May be just a coincidence, but I'm not so sure...I consistently got much better starts than on lower difficulties.

Its just a coincidence. Also usually, regardless of how good a starting location I get, the AI tend to always get better ones most of the time.

That is even a bigger nonsense than what the OP said ( no offense intended ) ;) ... there is no "if AI starting spot, drop a extra resource" rule in the scripts code ( the good thing is that you can actually read them if you know english and have some rudiments of programming in any post-Fortran coding language :D ) or anything remotely close. At best, there is the renormalization script, that nowadays ( 3.19 ) even works decently, making that that any start is worth atleast 80% of the average value of all the map starting spots in the most common scripts... and obviously, given that there are more AI than humans in any SP game, there should be almost always a group of AI that has a better start than you in any non-cooked map .

no offense taken ;) well, i somehow knew it's a "big nonsense" but ... there are alot of things i've learned recently, things i never knew, so i thought that maybe.. it just felt like the game gave me a hand... "hey, newbie, i think you suck, so i generated a omg-random start with a wtf-leader so you MAYBE won't be eaten alive by the cheati... err, simply plain better AI! GL!"

oh well, whatever. after all it was nothing more than silu luck.

That is even a bigger nonsense than what the OP said ( no offense intended ) ;) ... there is no "if AI starting spot, drop a extra resource" rule in the scripts code

I didnt say it was a definate feature or coded in anyway, just that it happens a lot.

If you play a map with 7 civs, your chances of getting the best start location is 1/7, hence the other teams will likely get better starts. It is still fully random and a coincidence.

Thats why people usually regenerate to get a good start.

Top Bottom