Mapping Humankind

bite

Unofficial Civilization Cartographer
Super Moderator
This is probably one of the more difficult things I have charted, but after several failed starts I bring you all of Humankind mapped out (including the two DLCs)

You can also see the Humankind Cartographic Educational Database

Last edited:
Great job, but you put Teuton incorrectly - they originated from Eastern Prussia what is where Kaliningrad city is (that region has been occupied by Russia since 1945).
Also you use modern Germany borders for the industrial era Germany what also differs.

Great job, but you put Teuton incorrectly - they originated from Eastern Prussia what is where Kaliningrad city is (that region has been occupied by Russia since 1945).
Also you use modern Germany borders for the industrial era Germany what also differs.

Yes, that is one interpretation of Teutons, but it is not the one the game is using when you see the city list - Achen, Magadoburg, Mentze, Cölln, Wurms, Spire, Francofurt, Regenspurg, Strazburg, Lübecke.

With Germany, I used the modern political boarders when using a country with the same name as one today, it was an easier option than to wade into the area of modern territory disputes [something that 100% happened with my Civ map]

Last edited:
I can confirm what bite is saying: The "Teutons" in game refers basically to the HRE. However, "Holy Roman Empire" breaks the naming convention of cultures, and we also were not fond of how it would imply a certain form of government regardless of the player's choice of government civics. We considered "Germans" for a while, but weren't happy adding another duplicate (We are already not happy with having two Egypts), and in the end we settled on Teutons in reference to the HRE sometimes also being referred to as "Sacrum Imperium Romanum Natio Teutonica" (which, ultimately, just means "Holy Roman Empire of German(ic) nations"

Yep,
You guys are correct - they use HRE city names.
More shame - they use Eastern Prussia graphics when selecting a nation. Quite a mess, haha :) That actually what made me thinking about Teutons in my way - you see that image in every game when you selecting medieval era and to see the city name - they have to be selected and to build a city in medieval.

But I can't agree on modern borders - we have historical borders for "ancient" countries although Iran is Persia, etc. Why don't doing it for Bismark Germany and so on?

So for a "secret" project, would anyone happen to know what the Bulgarian cities of Drŭstŭrŭ & Bŭdinŭ equate to?

Okay, it is now up to date, so a new version of the map will go live after the Cultures of Oceania Update

Well a first - a whole city list [Polynesia] that has stumped me, will attempt my Google-fu again tomorrow [I Nusa, Maqeto Panua, Kopu Maputi, Qulu ni Panua, Pura-Pura, Banoi Panas, Mata Wair, Koro Karawa, Tanoq, Rano Liki]

I am torn as to whether they are identifiable locations or names evocative of the pioneering spirit of Polynesian expansion. The city list appears most legible in Proto-Oceanic, for which a search easily turns up comparative dictionaries. You can then cobble together some guesses based on the languages referenced in the reconstruction. For instance, The Lexicon of Proto Oceanic shows that Banoi Panas comprises two terms roughly meaning volcano and hot/warming. *banoi has a selective range of references from North New Guinea and North Central Vanuatu, whereas *panas has a wider range but only shows overlap with one language from the first group. The Takia language attesting these terms is spoken in Madang Province, Papua New Guinea.

Of course, there are many uncertainties with my attempts to cross-reference terms, including my lack of familiarity with the target languages, and there are several terms for which I did not come up with confident guesses. Tanoq, for instance, comes up with *tanoq, meaning land, with many languages referenced. It seems more likely that names with easily identifiable geographic terms point to a city list devised to capture the sense of exploration and encounter with new lands.

Another question, that perhaps others can speak to, is what culture the Classical Polynesians represent. Given Proto-Oceanic and with my cross-referenced guesses falling in Fiji, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, and Vanuatu, I would guess the Lapita culture. I did see some reference languages from Micronesia, Samoa, Tahiti, and Tonga, but very few terms from the Māori language. I was surprised not to find more alignment with Polynesia.

Anyhow, no resolution yet, but I am happy all the same to learn a bit more about the world :)

Top Bottom