1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[MapScript] ScenarioMap

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Map Scripts' started by Vadus, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Vadus

Vadus pretend the impossible

Hi EMT

well yes, I mentioned this behaviour before. Civ is performing this terrain changes somewhere in the C part of code. And because my mapscript should work with any plain version of civ, I can not touch the c code.

@Fullerene: nice work ! :)

2. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

This is pretty sweet. I have a few questions though...

I would like this to work with my mod, I have added a few civs to this mod and would like to know how easy it is to modify to accomodate the new civs.

One of these civs is Polynesia, is there a way I can alter this map a little to make Hawaii bigger and maybe give them some coast tiles so they can get to other islands early in the game?

That's pretty much it, awesome work, I've been waiting for something like this for a while now and had no idea it was right here! :goodjob:

3. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

I agree Capo, it's a cool feature, but what will you do when there are both Aztecs and Mayas, Babylon and Sumeria in the game (just to stick with vanilla civs). They start too close to each other...
    And just to mention some of the bigger problems with the new civs, what about both Italy and Rome, or Aztecs/Mayas and Mexico?
    My point is you will have way too many civs for a script like this...

4. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

Well this won't work with modular civs anyway because, from what I can tell, the civ starting locations are in the code, so I'd have to add code for every modular civ I made and I am not going to do that. Obviously there will be conflicts though with starting locations:
    • France, England, Netherlands, Germany would be very cramped.
    • Greece, Byzantium, Turks would be very cramped
    • Israel, Egypt, Sumeria, Babylon, Persia, Arabia
    • Etc.

I mean, that is just something that is bound to happen, you play on an Earth map you know there will be real starting locations and that has two issues with it (1) bad starting spots and (2) possibility to be cramped. So in my mind, if you're going to play on a world map, and then say "well this sucks, I'm Carthage and have Egypt and Mali to contend with, I don't have any good land to expand to" then you're playing an Earth map for the wrong reasons and should probably play another map.

So I guess to put it in a nutshell: I don't care, buyer beware.

5. Vadus

Hi Capo,

yes, this is right, what you've mentioned. So AbsintheRed, when you are playing the small world map (vadus_world.wbs) with 18 civs (by selecting a huge world size at start) you have to expect, that there might the another settler unit right next to your starting spot. You might have been lucky and be the first one, who settles in the first turn :)

About adapting this script to a mod with different civs: no problem with that ! You just have to change the scenarioworld.properties file. There enter the map-file, you want to play on and set the correct starting positions for your new civs. Thats all. The properties file binds the map and starting positions to the map script.

6. Vadus

hi Folks !

a new version is out ! Check the first post. Now, you can choose at the beginning, which prepared map you want to play :)

7. Aegnor

Aegnor Chieftain

Hi Vadus !

I've tried your map script, but I can't find the ScenarioWorld MapScript at the beginning.
    I think it is because there is no ScenarioWorld.py in your archive.

8. Vadus

uups ! you are right !! I've corrected the archive now. Please try it out :)

9. ATC1983

ATC1983 Chieftain

Is this the in-game Earth18 or your own version of Earth18? And if it's your own version is it roughly the same map size?

10. Midnight-Blue766

Midnight-Blue766 The filidh that cam frae Skye

Okay, I've got a major problem.

I'm trying to adapt this map for the version of Rhye's Earth Map that I converted to Orbis. However, it seems that it's almost completely impossible for me to get this to work. This map will ONLY read from the PublicMaps from the root file, and doesn't read the SCNWRLD file in the Mod's PrivateMaps folder, even when I try and alter the path so it forces it to read the properties file in Orbis! How to I solve this?

11. Fullerene

Fullerene Chieftain

You need to use following path "Mods\\MyMod\\PrivateMaps\\", where 'MyMod' is name of your mod.
    NOTE that the properties file has also a path you need to edit. I tested and it worked, at least for me.

If you want to have preset (non random) resources you can check what I once did for this map:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=236248&d=1259951633. I suggest you open this file with Notepad++ as it's too big for Python IDLE to hande sometimes.
    @Vaduz and others who might work with this script
    In case you didn't know, it's possible to disable the functions that alter terrain and bonuses for starting locations via python.These functions are called 'normalise' functions, you can see them in file I linked.

12. sadfed

sadfed Chieftain

Hey Fullerene, is there any place to download customearth2? Civearth seems to be gone.

13. Mr.WorldWide

Mr.WorldWide Smugly Inferior

This is truly impressive, I've been recommending it to Realism Invictus players interested in a RL world game experience without long load times that come with 30+ civs.