1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

MapView 2.0 - Civilization 4 Editor

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Utility Programs' started by Gr3yHound, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Gr3yHound

Gr3yHound Mr.MapView

I don't know, you will definately not be able to save a map that will be ready for BTS.
    But since all Civ scenarios are basicly of the same sheme it's quite likely that you can open a bts savegame using mapview 0.x. If the basic open dialog doesn't show then map just make sure *.* is displayed and try to open it anyway.

2. RK142

RK142 Chieftain

Great program :)
    I was just wondering, how do you manually add more than 18 players to a game?

3. Gr3yHound

Gr3yHound Mr.MapView

;) Impossible, open the *.wbs file and make a copy of the <BeginPlayer><EndPlayer> part.

Edit: I wrote that on my to-do list.

4. RK142

RK142 Chieftain

I know, it looks like this, when I add up to 50 players.

BeginPlayer
    Team=50
    LeaderType=NONE
    CivType=NONE
    Color=NONE
    ArtStyle=NONE
    Handicap=
    EndPlayer

Is there something more I need to do?

5. Gr3yHound

Gr3yHound Mr.MapView

Look into the file StrategieOnly posted on this thread http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=331313

It will help you getting it right.

Also, i dunno about mods. You probably need to have a certain mod to support so many players, but you should be successfull when using the forum search on that or mayb by looking into the civfanatics wiki.

I hope i could help.

6. BlastHardcheese

BlastHardcheese Chieftain

I would just like to say thank you for this utility. It has made map modding so much easier. I actually have motivation to make maps now. I just have a slight problem. Ive used this utility for a while now and just the other day something changed. Usually, when I am editing or creating a map, where ever my mouse pointer is on the map, it tells me the coordinates of the pointer and I can edit the tiles. Now however, no matter where I move the mouse, it only allows me to alter the 4 tiles that are in the center of my screen. I have to hold the spacebar to get to another set of tiles. I have this program on another computer in my room and it works fine. Im sorry if this is an easy fix but I couldnt find any information on it.

7. Gr3yHound

Gr3yHound Mr.MapView

Hmmm, this is weird.

And the coordinates are only displayed correctly for those 4 tiles? What's shown on the others?
    Does the zoomlevel or window size change anything?

Does that mean you will also edit one of the mentioned 4 tiles, even if the mouse is not over them?

You could try installing the latest drivers for your video card. Basicly the algoritms to find the current tile are few lines very easy opengl code, i've no idea what could cause troubles.

8. BlastHardcheese

BlastHardcheese Chieftain

First of all, thank you very much for the reply. MapView tells me the correct coordinates of the center of the screen. When I move my mouse left, it will tell me for instance 9 7. Then when I move my mouse to the right it will tell me 10 7. No matter how far I move left or right 9 7 and 10 7 will still be in the center of the screen like my mouse is there. Suppose I go to 12 7 and put an ocean or something there , it will fill 10 7 or 9 7. No matter where I put it, it will change only the center tiles unless I move the whole map to whatever tile I want to change. I changed the window size and all zoom levels and it still doesnt do it. My graphics card is up to date so I might revert back to an older driver to see if that does anything. Like I said, MapView works on my other computer, so I can still use it fine. I was just curious if I was missing something. I hope that makes sense, its hard to describe without actually showing what it does.

9. Gr3yHound

Gr3yHound Mr.MapView

Yeah, seeing it would probably be more helpful. Mayb you can record the happening using Fraps? Would definately be nice to see what's going on even if i think i pretty much understood.

So the coordinates are shown correctly, but the stuff is placed on the wrong field? So if it says "3 3" at the mouse cursor it will change, let's say "10 7"?

10. zeggy

zeggy Warlord

1) I have a question, how can I the " use the fix a map to use with a mod " function on your programme, its always blanked out and I am unable to select it. I am trying to change a map for a different map to use on another one if thats possible with your programme.

2) I am trying to save map after being opened, i save into the public folder section of the mod, witht he correct .file extension, when i eneter game and look for the map i cannot see it avaliable to play..?

11. Gr3yHound

Gr3yHound Mr.MapView

Sorry,
    i had no time to answer this earlier.

That feature is not active at all. But it wouldn't actually "fix" a map to be honest. The idea behind that option was to obey the rules about which bonuses can be on certain terrain fields etc. Something like a mapscript would do, not place gold on water etc.

12. Black Whole

Black Whole Dancing Condor

First of all, great tool! It makes mapmaking much easier!
    Now, I have a question: Civ Bts always crashes when I try to start a game with my map. So far, it has all terrain except for hills and no features or bonuses besides oasis and floodplains. Is there anything else what I need to edit? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

13. Gr3yHound

Gr3yHound Mr.MapView

14. ChihuahuaKing

ChihuahuaKing Chieftain

Oh yeah! Its a ZIP! RARs don't work 4 me!!!

15. ChihuahuaKing

ChihuahuaKing Chieftain

how do i move the camera?

16. jlrsi

jlrsi Chieftain

Hold down space and left mouse click and then move the mouse

17. AveiMil

AveiMil Prince

Great tool this is! Much better than any other tool I've tried.

Question: How do I make starting positions? Sure, I can place down a for instance Settler and a Scout, but I just want to make a "normal starting position" that means that I'll get whatever starting units I'm supposed to get depending on what civlization I roll (random).

18. Gr3yHound

Gr3yHound Mr.MapView

That's something you can't do with MapView atm ;/

19. AveiMil

AveiMil Prince

Ok, figured out how to edit it via notepad. Thanks though.

Quick unrelated question: What's the hotkey command for letting the AI take control and running through X amount of turns?

20. AveiMil

AveiMil Prince

When I try to place a Hill feature by using the option two places to the right of FEATURE_FALLOUT I have to click on the plot perhaps 20 times before the Hill is actually placed where I want it to. The same applies when reversing back to flatland.

Is this a known problem?