1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Master or Orion 4

Discussion in 'Other Civ-Related Games' started by Horizon, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 King

2. Ray F

Ray F Chieftain

Nice trailer, but still very little info about the game itself.

The article says the 10 original races (and lists them), but the website says "lead one of 10 races" and then lists Gnolams in addition to the Alkari and Meklars. Humans, Bulrathi and Sakkra are shown in graphics.

The website is still very sparse, but here are some interesting statements:

"Each species has several distinct advisors, race advantages, technologies and specialized ship designs" -- these sound like new features.

"100 diverse technologies and over 20 types of structure" -- makes it sound like a MOO2 successor with colony building queues.

"Over 20 solar systems with more than 1000 unique stars for the taking" -- this sounds kind of confusing.

3. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 King

Yeah, this does sound MOO2 like. And if it is, then 20 building types is actually quite low. MOO2 was close to 50. Really sooo looking forward to read more info on this, but I guess we will learn in time.

Confusing indeed, what is the difference between a star and a solar system?
    edit: i read 100 stars

4. Ray F

Ray F Chieftain

Yeah. Right now, it seems more like "hey, Master of Orion is back! [details later]". I was pretty happy that they ditched MOO3's aversion to the original races.

hmm, maybe they mean 20 types of systems with over 100 systems total? That makes more sense, but that's a really small map to advertise.

5. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

I'm wondering if the star systems are bespoke rather than random.

6. Ray F

Ray F Chieftain

Hmmm, I'm not sure what I think of a Master of Orion game that does not take place on a randomized map.

7. neilkaz

neilkaz King

MOO games offer almost infinite replayability due to randomized galaxies. I never forgot the first MOO2 game where I was playing some weak standard race and really needed to take Orion and found it deep in a corner instead of near center where it is more than 95% of the time!

8. Ray F

Ray F Chieftain

9. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

You could randomize the stars while still having bespoke star systems. The, say, Sirius system may have four planets or whatever, but might not show up in the same place or in every game.

That said, I'm not sure why you would do that.

10. Frimlin

Frimlin Wandering Wizard

11. Ray F

Ray F Chieftain

Is there any chance that you could provide clarification on MOO4?

Will there be colony improvements (like MOO2) or slider controls (like MOO1)?
    Does that screenshot suggest that there will be star lanes?

12. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 King

"Check back later this week for our interview with the developers of the reboot."
    says article.
    given the amount of detail we have been given, maybe moo4 is for 2016?

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/9/8746959/master-of-orion-reboot-coming-from-the-team-behind-world-of-tanks

read here:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/master-of-orion-reboot-announced-by-wargaming/
    "Wargaming are recording a new orchestral score by MOO's original composer, as well as investing the alien races with more personality via "well-known" voice actors and animations."

There will be 13 (edit: or just 10?) playable races. Perhaps they will take styles elements from both 1 & 2 then.

13. Frimlin

Frimlin Wandering Wizard

We're keen to share more information over time. Your best bet would be to keep watch of our websites and our Facebook page.

14. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Still not sure, if it is a reboot of Moo or a new game of sorts. Either way, looking forward to seeing what develops.

15. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Definitely looking forward to seeing how this game turns out. I loved MOO2 but was hugely disappointed with MOO3. IMO, the biggest reason why MOO3 failed was that the devs tried to reinvent the wheel. I hope the devs for MOO4 don't make that mistake. I think they need to stay true to the formula that made NOO2 so great. In fact, if all they did was take MOO2 as is and just upgrade the graphics and added some new techs, buildings, weapons, I'd be happy. I'm definitely liking the look of the aliens. They seem to be keeping the same look as our beloved MOO2 aliens, just with newer graphics.

16. Ray F

Ray F Chieftain

fixed

17. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

I see what you did there. ;)

The reason I used MOO2 instead of MOO1 is because MOO2 is the game that introduced me to the series. MOO2 was the first MOO game I played. After playing MOO2, I tried to play MOO1 to see what it was like but by then I was so used to MOO2 that I really couldn't quite get into MOO1.

18. Ray F

Ray F Chieftain

No no, I totally get it. I was just having some fun with your post. :)

MOO2 was the first introduction to the series for a lot of people and computer graphics were advancing so quickly at the time that MOO1 already looked dated.

Even though MOO2 is definitely a great game, it is very different from MOO1. There was a clear decision to move the game more to the model of Civilization, which was an incredibly popular game at the time. GalCiv from Stardock followed this model even more closely.

MOO2 definitely has features not available in MOO1, but is much more micro-management heavy. In my opinion, MOO1 is a special game that has never been replicated in the 4X genre.

Unfortunately, the graphics are so dated now that most players cannot get past them to enjoy the game.

19. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 King

Was introduced to MOO1 in 1995 by my roommate, and first reaction was like 'what an ugly game are you playing'.
    Week after I was hooked :)

20. Ray F

Ray F Chieftain

We should start a support group. There aren't many of us left! :lol: