Megaupload closed down by the Feds.

It's pretty easy to recognize torrent traffic and cripple the speeds, even running over encrypted VPNs.

Cutting down US-wide torrent speeds to 5kb/s per person would reduce piracy by quite a bit.

While ISPs can do that, few have. If the industry as a whole was forced to implement such regulations, then you might be able to stop torrents.

We lost at least one older Civ4 mod, one current Col mod is unavailable, and a bunch of wonder movies too.
:mad::mad::mad:

And some cross pollution:
[URL="http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-57362152-261/fbi-charges-megaupload-operators-with-piracy-crimes/"]CNET[/URL] said:
But here's the big question I'm trying to get answered: if the feds can have an accused pirate arrested and brought to this country for trial, why do we need SOPA and PIPA?

Why does the US want to control the internet so badly? Thats the only thing I can think is why they'll pulling all this crap with SOPA/PIPA and taking down sites.

We lost at least one older Civ4 mod, one current Col mod is unavailable, and a bunch of wonder movies too.
:mad::mad::mad:

And some cross pollution:

I'd say the answer to that one is that Feds can't automatically extradite for such things, which is why PIPA and SOPA are popular to the politicians (who receive financial contributions from the affected industries). It doesn't excuse SOPA, I'm just saying that the logical cause for politicians drafting SOPA, PIPA, etc..

I'd say the answer to that one is that Feds can't automatically extradite for such things, which is why PIPA and SOPA are popular to the politicians (who receive financial contributions from the affected industries).

Why not just hand over the government to the corporations. Remove the middleman.

Why does the US want to control the internet so badly? Thats the only thing I can think is why they'll pulling all this crap with SOPA/PIPA and taking down sites.
USA #1!
And also, Al Gore invented the internet. Therefore, we have to control it.

Hmph. Maybe I'm being overly cynical.

Doesn't really have anything to do with that.
Other countries try to do the same.
Edit: Half a dozen cross posts.

Another thing:

[URL="http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Razzia-gegen-Megaupload-FBI-laesst-Kim-Schmitz-verhaften-1417529.html"]Heise.de[/URL] said:
Wohl im Zusammenhang mit dem Abschalten von Megaupload.com ist die Website des US-Justizministeriums derzeit nicht zu erreichen; www.justice.gov antwortet nicht auf Anfragen. Anonymous-Aktivisten brüsten sich in Online-Foren damit, die Website per DDOS-Attacke ausgeschaltet zu haben.

Translation:
Probably in connection with the closing of Megaupload.com, the website of the department of justice can't be reached; www.justice.gov doesn't answer any queries. Anonymous activists claim in different online forums that they brought the site down via a DDOS attack.

----------

I'd say the answer to that one is that Feds can't automatically extradite for such things, which is why PIPA and SOPA are popular to the politicians (who receive financial contributions from the affected industries). It doesn't excuse SOPA, I'm just saying that the logical cause for politicians drafting SOPA, PIPA, etc..

:hmm: what, they obviously can, like we can see here.

Jan 18: reasonably well-coordinated internet blackout in protest of censorship
Jan 19: USTR takes down MegaUpload

Your move, Internet.

I thought you needed an extra... (I am not attemtping to spell that) agreement.

I didnt know it was a crime to put money in a washing machine and washing it.

Speaking of US control of the internet, it annoys me only US jurisdictions can get .gov domains.

Dammit I've used Megaupload for lots of legitimate purposes (at least under Argentine law) so why do these have to take it down, eh?

French news said the charge are piracy (I can understand) but also racket and money laundering :confused:

How so?

Probably for the same reasons like at kino.to:
You "conspirate" with people that they upload stuff, and then you sell premium accounts to the customers so that they can faster download the illegal stuff. -> criminal organization -> racket.

So much for the celebrity endorsements, I kind of wish the RIAA/MPAA heads would die off suddenly or something and be replaced by people who actually understand the reality of the situation.

If you leave the forum, it will be a much duller place!:lol:

I dont get it. Laundering is putting things in a washing machine to clean them

Top Bottom