Memory Management

charleswatkins said:
I understand that Civ IV is hungry for memory. But is there some way to avoid some of the obnoxious side effects?

1. I would like to be able to listen to streaming audio (like Air America Radio) while playing. But as time goes on, Civ begins to impede the audio feed and it eventually breaks off.

2. After exiting a Civ game, it seems to not have released its memory resources, so I have to wait a couple of minutes to run something else.

3. After breaking out with Alt-TAB, it seems to take forever to resume.

1. must be a conflict with the game.no more streaming audio I guess,sometimes you have to make sacrifices

2.That had happened to me when I first got the game.More memory is needed.

3.Again MEMORY......How fast is your cpu,video card

What are your specs? Whatever you do don't go by the "Minimum Specs" on the box. If you don't have at least 1 gig of ram don't expect much from this game. 1.5 would be great. The game uses alot of resources. So no unescessary programs running in the background or loading at start-up.

Good luck!

My specs AMD 2.167 XP 3000+
1.5 gig of ram
WinFast 6600GT 128 mb video

salty said:
My Vinnie Testaverde computer is 40+ years old and has a 17.5 guagga-googleplex gigs of RAM , a mega-waffler devastater quadron mark3.2 graphics card, and a cpu that can calculate PI to 20 trillion places in 3 seconds and has no problems playing beat the Redskins.

:mad: :cry:

Unfortunately, like Vinny, it can't see colors.

salty said:
My Vinnie Testaverde computer is 40+ years old and has a 17.5 guagga-googleplex gigs of RAM , a mega-waffler devastater quadron mark3.2 graphics card, and a cpu that can calculate PI to 20 trillion places in 3 seconds and has no problems playing beat the Redskins.

:mad: :cry:

Ah, thats cos a 1978 LED Texas Instruments calculator could gameplan easily to beat the Skins with Dan Snyder constantly meddling :)

casey1966 said:
Hey that must be a Pentium 1 proc you have there....no good unless you upgrade everything else.:lol: Are you sure your playing Civ 4 & not the original,cause the Civ 4 game I play uses memory out the ya-hoo...:mischief:

Well its a pentium M 1.86ghz so i dont understand why its not doing better.
And yes, im fairly sure im not playing the original game... but who can really tell these days eh?:p

McLMan said:
Well put Mr. Bledsoe. :clap:

Somebody looking for ideas in improving performance ends up with a bunch of chest pounding.

My system that is only slightly better than the recommended specs runs Civ IV very well. I've tried turning off processes that I don't need while playing (Antivirus, etc.) and it did improve performance somewhat.

I would have been doing the same but my Civ IV corrupted my graphics card drivers this week and cost me 4 hours + of misery getting them fixed.

I don't care what your machine is, a huge civ4 map is going to drag it down if you've played in one stretch a marathon map on emperor ai or higher into the late game ;)

Extra ram will improve while scrolling the map (especially huge maps) since the map itself will be stored in ram and not on the hardrive. If you scroll the map and see you hardrive running like mad then more ram with help.

P.S Of course more ram and duel-core processor is a big plus when it comes to multitasking.

kittenOFchaos said:
[...]I don't care what your machine is, a huge civ4 map is going to drag it down if you've played in one stretch a marathon map on emperor ai or higher into the late game ;)
So, Civ4 would adopt itselft to the level you play on? ;)
Now I know, why I have to have 2 GB. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom