Merging Better AI with BUG 3.5

Didn't work. BetterAI is there, but the rest of Bug isn't. Will provide more details as soon as I analyse my steps. It's pretty much, military advisor button, city advisor button doesn't work, and for that matter, none of those graphics even load in the first place unless I minimize, then maximize the game.

For the record, I was able to successfully merge BetterAI0.70 with Bug3.6 by installing BUG in multiplayer mode (as a standalone mod) and following the "If you installed BUG as a standalone mod" instructions in the original post here. I haven't played too far into the game but was able to dotmap and had BetterAI show up when I moused over the flag, so I am assuming it worked.

For the supremely lazy, there's a merged BUG (I numbered it 3.6.x - it's pulled from the SVN after 3.6 was released but before the file structure got rearranged. Basically 3.6 with multiplayer fixes) with Better AI .077b at http://www.tumbolian.org/Civ/mergedmod.zip. I put it up for my housemate and figured I could save someone a few minutes of mucking. Just put those two folders in the Mods folder.

I created those folders by following the first set of instructions (installing both as mods) from the original post. That's just to save people the 10 minutes it takes to move all the files around and make a few edits. :)

If you want one or both of the mods as custom assets, you need to follow a separate branch of the directions and my zip won't help.

I have 3 questions:

First...know that I have merged (I think) Better AI and BUG. Now...

#1 - How do I know that I'm using BetterAI...because I know that I simply just load the game using BUG, but via the instructions stickied in this thread, the BetterAI DLL "should" be the default setting...but I'm not sure it is. So, while I do know that I have BUG up and running, how can I be sure that BetterAI is also at work?

#2 - With the instructions stickied in this thread, what do I do about updating BetterAI when updates come out? Do I simply replace the DLL, again? Do I have to do all the XML file changes?...Sorry for my COMPLETE lack of knowledge - but at least I 'think' I was able to merge the game on my own without any embarrassing questions.

#3 - I read that BetterAI and BULL are going to be merging. I'm not entirely sure what this means (haven't looked into it too, too much). Does this mean, when completed, that I can simply DL the new versions of BetterAI, and it will include BUG/BAT already merged into the mod? If not...what does this mean?

(1) Mouse over the flag to the left of the minimap. When it pops up the info with your civ's traits it should also say "Better AI v#.##" (depending on what version it is.)

(2) It sounds like you merged them both as mods (the first set of instructions)? When a new BetterAI comes out... well, actually you only need to replace whichever files changed between versions. However, I find it's easier just to copy them all over again than to see which ones are different. The edits you made to XML files you won't need to do again unless you also replace/upgrade BUG.

(3) I think it means that there will be a supermod that you will be able to install that will have all the features of BUG/BULL/BBAI.

I want to make BUG and Better AI my standard game, but I want to be able to play PBEM sessions (vanilla) as well.

What is the easiest way of doing that? ie what of the 3 methods in this thread should I go for?

I think I've seen somewhere that you can edit your shortcut with "-mod" option so basically you can create 2 shortcuts one for BUG+AI and one for vanilla. Not sure if it is this easy but this option would be ideal :)

Thank you for your time!

Easiest, and cleanest, way:
Create a shortcut that launches the BetterAI version of the game.

Use that for non-PBEM games.

Keep your base game 'pure Firaxis'.

Downside: mods without DLLs don't get the BetterAI improvements 'for free'.

But you didn't request that. To get that to work, I'd install BetterAI in custom assets, then make a Vanilla Firaxis 'mod' that has a copy of the default assets directory (and all subdirectories). And make a shortcut to the Vanilla Firaxis 'mod' for when you want to play Vanilla.

Please excuse me for my ignorance. Sadly I'm not so well versed in all the "assets" and mod stuff :( It would be easier for me if you told me what option in first post to follow and also how to install BUG first.

1. Single-Player (CustomAssets Folder)
2. Single-Player with AltRoot
3. Multiplayer
(taken from BUG Setup screen)

Once again please excuse me for my ignorance :(

Hello,

I installed BUG 3.6 and merged Better AI 0.78 as described in post #1 in this thread.

Does this work? How do I tell if it's working? I installed it as a mod in the C:\Games\Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\ folder.

The BUG interface loads and I'm not getting any errors, does this mean Better AI is also working?

Okay, I apologize if this is labeled somewhere and I have missed it. I've checked around and don't exactly see something that would definitely help me.

This is what I want to do:

#1 - Install BUG (done)
#2 - Merge BUG & Better AI (done via instructions in this forum)
#3 - I want to merge BAT with the above mentioned merge.

I haven't seen how/where I would go about merging my BUG/Better AI with BAT. Is this even possible...and if possible, could someone please help me with some instructions on what my next steps are?...

Also, for #2, I'm getting a few errors upon the game loading, which show as:

-BugInt: cannot find XML file for mod BetterAI
&
-BugPath: cannot find asset file BetterAI.xml in config.

Any help for this, as well? I followed the instructions and had no issues with the instructions from the BetterAI merge instructions...

BetterAI is definitely up and running, since when I scroll on the flag it shows as BetterAI v 0.78. With those errors above, though, is BetterAI running correctly?

Mouseover your flag. In addition to describing your traits, it should say "Better AI 0.78b" or whichever version was merged.

I just downloaded Better AI again and followed instructions from post #1. I did the mouseover on my flag and came up with "Better BTS AI v0.78C."

Is this the most up-to-date version or did I do something wrong?

Download Better BTS AI 0.78 for BTS 3.19

therefore you have the most stable up-to-date version. there is a newer in svn, but we should wait for the official release which is maybe today. :)

For those who might want to try, I was able to merge today's SVN version of BUG (which should be pretty much the not-quite-yet-released 4.0) with today's release of BetterAI. The only thing that seems to have changed from the first set of instructions (installing them both as mods) is that when you copy all of the XML files over from BetterAI into BUG, you don't want to replace the one file that was already there (CIV4EventInfos.xml). (At least, I assume this is the case, as the two versions of the file were identical except that BUG's had Python Callbacks defined which look like they put the "here's what changed on this tile" signs up when a tile gets +1 :commerce: or whatever.)

For the supremely lazy, I've uploaded my merge at http://www.tumbolian.org/Civ/mergedmod.zip again. This only works for people who are using them as mods, nothing changing about CustomAssets. Note also that this isn't BUFFY, or BULL, or BAT, or any other B acronyms, just the latest BUG and BTS Better AI.

Top Bottom