Mi 24 (helicopter)

nautil

Warlord
Eventually i got tied of panes :) and just for a change i decided to try to make a helicopter. I choose to model a russian large combar helicopter - Mi 24, that in fact looks a lot like apache( well, i don't know which one was created first, so it can be that apache looks a lot like him :) )

Model is about 1600 triangles, animated , with spinning prop and rear rotor, though i haven't tested it fully in game yet.
On render you can see propeller and rotor that were added just to make picture look better, in game it is substituted by semitransparent disks. I intentionally made no country specifi
c markings so it can be used by any civilization.

P.S. How to add new units guide

Attachments

• mi24render.jpg
    mi24render.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,241
  • mi24screen.jpg
    mi24screen.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,715
  • mi24.zip
    52.8 KB · Views: 951
Awesome job nautil! Finally we have a new chopper to play around with :goodjob:

One little nitpick, it looks (from the in-game screenshot) like the tail rotor is a bit misaligned - notice how on the two right choppers the center point of the rear rotor is "in the air" instead of sitting on the tail.

Keep'em coming man :)

Rabbit said:
Awesome job nautil! Finally we have a new chopper to play around with :goodjob:

One little nitpick, it looks (from the in-game screenshot) like the tail rotor is a bit misaligned - notice how on the two right choppers the center point of the rear rotor is "in the air" instead of sitting on the tail.

Keep'em coming man :)

where is slight problem with this pesky rotor, space between propeller and rotor is fixed, when i try ti change it something funny happens with axis and rotor starts to wobble. Maybe you , with your extensive experience in "Scene Viewer" can do something about it ?

nautil said:
where is slight problem with this pesky rotor, space between propeller and rotor is fixed, when i try ti change it something funny happens with axis and rotor starts to wobble. Maybe you , with your extensive experience in "Scene Viewer" can do something about it ?
Oh I see. I encountered that problem before, and couldn't find a solution, although... what if you move the chopper instead of the rotor? You might then misalign the main rotor though but maybe you could find a middle ground where they're both only slightly misaligned, or you might slightly increase the scale of the chopper to fit with the rotors. Anyway, it's a small issue, no need to break your head over it. :D

Good Job! getting multiple rotors going has got to be tough. Also, this is a great choice to make (it's my fav. helicopter). I'm really surprised at your speed and consistancy.

-Smitty

^see above^

nautil said:
Eventually i got tied of planes :) and just for a change i decided to try to make a helicopter.

How do you feel for creating a Alpha Centauri podlike model (as shown in the intromovie, not the ingame model) ?

nautil said:
I choose to model a russian large combar helicopter - Mi 24, that in fact looks a lot like apache( well, i don't know which one was created first, so it can be that apache looks a lot like him :) )

Great choice. And IIRC those choppers were already used in Afghanistan by the Russian army in the eighties. Don't know if the Apaches were developped later or not.

nautil said:
Eventually i got tied of panes :) and just for a change i decided to try to make a helicopter. I choose to model a russian large combar helicopter - Mi 24, that in fact looks a lot like apache( well, i don't know which one was created first, so it can be that apache looks a lot like him :) )

Model is about 1600 triangles, animated , with spinning prop and rear rotor, though i haven't tested it fully in game yet.
On render you can see propeller and rotor that were added just to make picture look better, in game it is substituted by semitransparent disks. I intentionally made no country specipic markings so it can be used by any civilization.

Have you got this unit in .xml format? as it is .nif at the moment and i don't know how to read/add it to the game

Geomodder. Apaches were a little later (1983) the MI 24's were built 1976. The Apaches were the USA's responce to be the best attack chopper (and still are by far) they have even been readied for the digital battlefeild the pilot now slots a harddisk into the chopper with all the information about there mission so he has little to do but kill. just thought you'ld like to know

boneys26 said:
Geomodder. Apaches were a little later not much tho they were the USA's responce to be the best attack chopper (and still are by far) they have even been readied for the digital battlefeild the pilot now slots a hard disk into the chopper with alll the information about there mission so he has little to do but kill. just thought you'ld like to know

I remember my first impression when seeing footage of an Apache in action seen from the pilot's point of view (the first Gulf War after the Kuwait invasion). It looked like a videogame. ;)

GeoModder said:
I remember my first impression when seeing footage of an Apache in action seen from the pilot's point of view (the first Gulf War after the Kuwait invasion). It looked like a videogame. ;)

Yeah lol was watching documentry last night about it. love the way the gun moves with the pilots head. Its one video game I'ld like to play with (just to try;) )

Well, I also realized that that flashy stuff hitting those IR-targets were people being shot.

yes now worked out how to put the unit into my game files thanks to DUAL
changed the unit size tho so its a bit bigger than the other chopper looks and works great:goodjob:

Thanks everybody for your nice words, i'm glad you like this model. And here a little teaser pic of what comes next, as an appetizer. I think many can recognize it

Harada the Grea said:
:blush: hi, can you tell me where to put this as know nothing about modding ( see my other posts) and this unit looks way cool. :goodjob:

I believe this quide will help

Attachments

• ka50teaserpic.jpg
    ka50teaserpic.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 300
Top Bottom