Microsoft Windows Vista

Nope, she uses Linux.
Padma is a man.

Pelase enlighten me as to what OpenGL is and why M1cro$0ft doesn't like it.
I'm far from being an expert and am merely repeating what I've read. As previously said in this thread, OpenGL is an API, ie. a graphical library, used to do 2D and 3D. It is a free library, contrary to M$'s DirectX (didn't see that coming, uh ? ;) ). DirectX "wins" because it is used to design most of the recent games (including Civ4). In Vista it is believed that the way they organise things will put OpenGL further into the corner. It's just your basic move from M$ (as can be seen with OpenXML, their horrible, standardized format).

*shudder*? Its free, it gives all the options windows has in usability, and if you want your games you can easily use an emulator to play them, or dual boot with windows.
But CivGeneral is a weird dude... :mischief:

I shall quote from IRC
<stickciv> windows likes stupid users
Its a system made for dummies, its full of holes,it has its own attitude at times, and if you like those things, you have to be a tad bit weird.

*btw, Im not insinuating that you're stupid with my quote

I shall quote from IRC
<stickciv> windows likes stupid users
Its a system made for dummies, its full of holes,it has its own attitude at times, and if you like those things, you have to be a tad bit weird.

*btw, Im not insinuating that you're stupid with my quote

If I could play Oblivion and Crysis on Linux I'd switch today!

But I can't. Though I have wanted to see what it's like.

As I said, you can just install a copy on your computer, most include bootloaders with which you can dual boot. There are some people who do dthis, work on linux, when they wanna play they go onto windows.

the ******ed...erh, autistic ( being politically correct here) are also special, and?

the ******ed...erh, autistic ( being politically correct here) are also special, and?
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is one of my favourite books :)

Why is it that every single thread in this forums ends up in Windows vs. Linux discussion? :)

cus thats essentially what it is in here. We have the windows fanboys and the linux freaks. And it is only in here that they can battle without spamming (too much)

I never "upgraded" to XP. Why would I want to waste money on such a terrible thing as Vista? :confused:

Padma, are you saying you are still on a Windows 98 computer? I just got a new Dell XPS410 with Windows XP. It blows my mind the potential of this computer... (I can't believe I stayed with Windows 98 all these years.)

stwils
The last version of Windows I installed was Win2000Pro. Even though it was the best Windows ever made, it still was a problem. About 3 years ago it gave up on me, so I gave up on it. I went 100% Linux, and haven't looked back.

(I use Win2K at work, because I have to. And a couple years ago my wife bought a laptop with XP. She is often threatening to throw it out the window, but won't let me switch it to Linux because she doesn't want to leave the environment she knows....:rolleyes: )

Nope, she uses Linux.

Pelase enlighten me as to what OpenGL is and why M1cro$0ft doesn't like it.
As mentioned previously, I'm a "balding, overweight, middle-aged man" ;)

DirectX and OpenGL are just an API to access the features of graphics cards. OpenGL is everything that DirectX wants to be, except proprietary. ;) The trouble is, nobody ever made an easy api for OpenGL, so when MS created DirectX.... :shrug:

Everything that can be done with DirectX can be done with OpenGL, often with better performance. But MS doesn't 'own' OpenGL, or have any control over its API, or its use, so it is antitheitcal to their concept of MS owning everything on your computer (including your data).

cus thats essentially what it is in here. We have the windows fanboys and the linux freaks. And it is only in here that they can battle without spamming (too much)
It is usually a case of a Windows fanboi spouting off about how great some WIndows *thing* is, and those of us who know better pointing out the error; or a Linux fanboi pointing out some Windows deficiency, and Windows fanbois coming to dispute the fact. And since this is Computer Talk, it's all on topic. (Of course, once the trolling/flaming starts, that's another story.)

And a couple years ago my wife bought a laptop with XP. She is often threatening to throw it out the window, but won't let me switch it to Linux because she doesn't want to leave the environment she knows....:rolleyes:
I wouldnt blame her, I would not leave an OS and the enviornemnt that I have grown to know and use most of the time.

Padma said:
I am supprised you have not placed that in your signature so no one can confuse you as a woman ;).

Padma said:
It is usually a case of a Windows fanboi spouting off about how great some WIndows *thing* is
Windows is great, I dont spout, I spread the Gospel of Windows! :run: ;). I am happy with XP-tan (Windows XP) :D.

Padma said:
, and those of us who know better pointing out the error; or a Linux fanboi pointing out some Windows deficiency, and Windows fanbois coming to dispute the fact. And since this is Computer Talk, it's all on topic.
So its almost on the same grounds as an Theist vs. Atheist, Catholic vs. Protestant, and Christianity vs. Islam argument that I see in OT?

I wouldnt blame her, I would not leave an OS and the enviornemnt that I have grown to know and use most of the time.

Exactly. It's a case of being afraid to leave the known, even when you know it is bad. You fear the alternative may be "worse". (Even when it really isn't.)

So its almost on the same grounds as an Theist vs. Atheist, Catholic vs. Protestant, and Christianity vs. Islam argument that I see in OT?
Pretty close. ;)

Except that here there is an obvious right/wrong: Linux is "right" and Windows is "wrong". :p

Except that here there is an obvious right/wrong: Linux is "right" and Windows is "wrong". :p
Bah, I dont see how Linux is "right" especialy since there so many of distributions of them. Plus no windows based games can even run on a Linux (Simmilar Case in which I would not use a MacOS). Its like there are so many Linuxes distributions its almost like its a Protestant OS (An analogy in which there are so many protestant branches).

But, I am happy with Windows XP (XP-tan) and has not caused me a major headache while running it :D.

Padma said:
As mentioned previously, I'm a "balding, overweight, middle-aged man"

Can I sig that? And lets keep the OT in the OT, please, for those of us who are still sane

stickciv: Certainly you may sig that. FWIW, my original statement was "I am a rarity on the internet: I *admit* that I'm a balding, overweight, middle-aged man!"

;)

Chairman Meow: They don't. :) (Or more accurately, they're "not wrong". ;))

CivGeneral: So what if there are a lot of distros. What runs on distro 'X' will also run on distro 'Y', and 'Z' (and 'A', 'B', 'C', etc). Of course, there is the caveat they must all be based on the same kernel/libraries, but that is no different than programs that run on WinXP, but not on Win98, for example.

It's the name, and I tend to think of people in relation to their name, avatar, sig and posting style.

Which is why I don't look at member photo's thread, I prefer my own little image to reality.

On topic; Why are there so many different versions?

Windows is great, I dont spout, I spread the Gospel of Windows! :run: ;). I am happy with XP-tan (Windows XP) :D.
Alright. But don't ever say you'd like to get out of the matrix then (ie. choose the red pill). ;) I would never believe you.

I'm going to upgrade to Vista only because I'm adventurous and will be getting a copy of it anyway..
It has to be said that the real adventure is to get a copy of Vista. Imagine, you take the risk of surrending all your data to Microsoft !! :eek:

Why are there so many different versions?
Because Linux is completely customizable, and that's one of its great strength. You can even create your own distribution if that doesn't scare you ; if you do it right, it will be compatible with all the existing Linux distros.

Top Bottom