Microsoft Windows Vista

<OT deleted>

And doesnt windows vista also give microsoft the right to your hardware too? Or was I just reading something else?

Well then im not upgrading is all i can say! :lol:

Lets boycott windows vista!

The Vista plan calls for hardware vendors to conform in locking you in to MS DRM/"Trusted" computing.

I still find it disturbing that windows looks at what Hardware your running and send that right back to microsoft.

I still find it disturbing that windows looks at what Hardware your running and send that right back to microsoft.

Damn imagine people at microsoft running some switchboard contraption.

At the control center....

Dave: Oh look heres another user who violated the user agreement! Lets lock his computer up since hes running vista!

A new personality for Vista-tan. A Data/Hardware Hog ;).

Yeah, I don't really mind if like, Steam pops up and asks if they can send hardware information back [YES] or [NO]. I don't mind Microsoft knowing either, but I'd prefer to be asked.

One thing I've hated about XP is that occaisonaly windows update's something, then pops up this thing saying "Windows needs to restart in order to finish this update, you have 5 minutes to respond". This has happened while I'm in a GAME. I didn't know it was 30 seconds to restart until I accidently pressed start.

And when you click the later button it only gives you like 5 mins. >_<

Though that hasn't happened on my new comp...

DirectX and OpenGL are just an API to access the features of graphics cards. OpenGL is everything that DirectX wants to be, except proprietary. ;) The trouble is, nobody ever made an easy api for OpenGL, so when MS created DirectX.... :shrug:

Everything that can be done with DirectX can be done with OpenGL, often with better performance. But MS doesn't 'own' OpenGL, or have any control over its API, or its use, so it is antitheitcal to their concept of MS owning everything on your computer (including your data).
It's been some time since i worked with OpenGL, but when i last did it was a open graphics library with no support for sound, networking, I/O, ... like DirectX has. ;)
OpenGL's main advantage, from my perspective, is it's portability. DirectX is almost a game engine, but its API in combination with the Windows API is quite a beast to tackle.

OpenGL is an Open Graphics Library, true. That is all it needs to be. But there is also Open AL, an Open Audio Library, and other open libraries to handle the other things. And they can all work together to produce similar results to DirectX.

Do one thing but do it well is a well known Unix programming philosophy. Libraries such as SDL, plib, and clanlib that tie all the well done parts together are what DirectX should be compared to.

Cedega emulator. I think thats what its called. Allows you to play Civ 4 on linux

Civ4 (supposedly) works fine under Cedega.

(I can't verify that, as my video card is too wimpy. But it *did* install properly, and ran as well as it could given my hardware limitations.)

I can only report on the ATI 9600 and X800 AGP cards, but Civ4 works fine with the closed source drivers on both AMD64 and X86. When I use the open source r300 drivers though I get glitches with the placement of graphics in boxes...and the "chesire cat" effect. Wish I could say I enjoyed the game itself though, but I prefer Civ3 which still plays well with Cedega 4.3.2.

My ultimate wish though is that FreeCiv starts supporting flics so that all the great Civ3 units created by CivFanitics users can be imported.

DAMNT IT! OK I wont upgrade to Vista... you changed my mind and after all... I damaged my ATI graphics card ( an x800 I think, I'm not sure...)

What did you do to it? Just overheated? or something far worse?

No, I don't know, it works but there are a lot of lines and squares, exactly like when you watch TV without an antenna. I was at my friend and that morning it worked but later I brought it home and it wont work anymore. I'm going to take it to an hardware expert or something like that and see if he can do something. Hell, now I have to stick with my Nvidia MX 440 :(.

EDIT: It's an Radeon 9600.

Top Bottom