Middle-earth Mod

[BTS] Middle-earth Mod 0.4.1

I think I figured out how to insert units. the first test I did by creating a mod with only one unit, rohan swordsman and then I started a random game and it works without crashing. oh my god how much work there is to do if you want to insert many units. but I didn't understand if the AI can use that unit too or if only I can use it. how do you make sure that the unit belongs to a certain civilization?
It's... A lot to explain. I have a few videos on it but the absolute best thing you can do is play around with it after watching videos and reading tutorials. Also I suggest looking at mods that are already made because they provide lots of examples.

I do recommend you make a separate mod folder, it's much safer than editing the base files.

It's... A lot to explain. I have a few videos on it but the absolute best thing you can do is play around with it after watching videos and reading tutorials. Also I suggest looking at mods that are already made because they provide lots of examples.

I do recommend you make a separate mod folder, it's much safer than editing the base files.
thanks a lot for the tips. unfortunately I'm Italian and I already write with the google translator, but listening to a video in English is impossible to understand unless I have my sister translate it :-D

So, been playing around with the mod some...

It's clearly a work of love and passion, and I'm really, really enjoying it.

However it has some missed opportunities, given things other mods have done with Civ4 it could likely copy:

The Middle Earth setting is PERFECT for a RFC-style spawning in of civs at different times: at least for one scenario option. The Elves in particular, could spawn at different lore-appropriate times relative to each other; before all the other civs- but suffer much slower population growth rates to prevent them filling the map (look at how RFC does "Growth", which effects both food to grow cities and Settler costs... Of course, it has little justification on real life, as we're all one species and population growth doesn't differ THAT much by culture rather than factors like food/housing/job availability : but makes PERFECT sense for men vs. elves...) This would allow the Elves to start off much more advanced and more numerous than men, when they first come into being- but to be gradually surpassed by Men due to their much higher population growth rates...

On that note, Numenor could start on its actual island, and Gondor/Arnor could only generate later, when released as colonies (the Colonies feature already present in vanilla Civ4 is PERFECT for this- especially as it generates new civs not spawned in previously, and ONLY can be used on cities on a different landmass (meaning excepting some shenanigans with moving capitals to the tiny island off Gondor's coast, it's normally only usable between Numenor and the mainland anyways...) The map already has room for a sizable island in the Southwest corner of the map, which is roughly Numenor's lore-appropriate location...

Similarly, the Dudenain could have moderately slower pop growth than other Men, like Dunland and Bree (but still much higher than Elves) to balance their earlier start (both of which- the earlier settling down and slower population growth, are canonical). The player or AI releasing Gondor/Arnor as colonies could also be beneficial by these civs having a slightly higher pop growth rate than Numenor Explorers civ itself (to represent their intermarriage with "lower" men to a much greater degree than earlier/other Numenorians...)

Other changes, could include adding something like FFH2's "Alignment" system, as discussed by others, and tweaking the AI's a bit more (I think what BTS civ you based an empire on affects its behavior? The Eregion Elves, at least, seem to constantly choose all their neighbors as rivals/ "worst enemies" and demand the player stop trading with or declare war on them all the time... Since none of the other empires seem to do this, it's gotta be an issue with the AI of just that one empire...)

Going with changes that should be manageable/ can be spliced in fairly easily (copying the system for different starts from RFC, or Alignment from FFH2- right down to values/religions changing it, allowing a Canonical briefly good Saucon who turns evil again, for instance) here, since you're just one person and I understand this is more of a personal passion project than a mod for mass consumption...

It's also for this reason (passion project) I suggest these kind of lore-appropriate changes that casual players (who are unfamiliar with the history of Middle Earth) might not understand- like why Gondor/Arnor shouldn't exist until they split off from Numenor, the Elves should start much sooner, the Dudenain should have kids slower than other Men, or Sauron should actually have the possibility to renounce Evil for a time (as he canonically did, and the player can re-create by demanding he convert to a "Good" value changing a FFH2-style Alignment... But, his AI could be strongly weighted to swap back to an "Evil" value at the first opportunity...)

Anyhow, loving the mod! Thanks for making this! Keep at it, as Civ4 is STILL the best civ game ever made since after Alpha Centauri...

Last edited:
@topsecret I know how real life tends to derail projects, even passion projects like these (I myself am suffering from Long Covid- part of the reason I have time to comment here occasionally, as I am too sick to work or do much outside the house... Look it up: it's a disease that's being ignored and very little money spent on curing...)

But, if you do find time to log on here again sometime, I hope you'll see this message! And, know I am actively playing your mod (and hope to for quite a while into the future) and really love it!

Anyhow, aside from big, RFC-style features, I thought I'd share some much simpler insights/suggestions: problems/possibilities for the map.

It's quite good overall, but I see a couple problems with it: the distribution of marine resources (Tolkien, of course, didn't map out where the fishing was best- or for that matter even where the respective continental shelves dropped off... Though we can expect "coastal" waters and better fishing probably extended much further out from shore in certain places: like near the Gray Havens, and the huge areas that used to be Beleriand before the great flood/submersion of large parts of the continent...) and the Far North.

The northernmost parts of Tolkien's early maps were, of course, often shown in very little detail as almost nothing was known of them to the Mannish peoples (the only inhabitants being small tribes of Orcs from when Morgoth's followers fled there among other places, and a few Dwarven outposts...) but it can be understood they were likely MUCH, MUCH more rugged and mountainous than they are now. They were simply shown as featureless white in many of Tolkien's maps as they were unimportant to the main story and little was known about them...

I suggest adding more mountains and hills (all of the Snow/Artic terrain type, still- just more hilly and mountainous) in the Far North. This both matches with references in Tolkien's writings, as well as entirely non-canonical stuff like the glimpses we have of the region in the Rings of Power TV series... (the ruggedness of the terrain at least helps explain why it was not settled, and how small pockets of Orcs could hide out in the region so easily...)

Maybe also a Stone resource or two, near some of the biggest concentrations of Mountains- to represent potentially usable Stone for construction (especially in the hands of Dwarves...) in some of these Mountains...

This will also, from a gameplay perspective, make the region marginally more useful to Angmar (who start out close enough to spread this way) and especially the Dwarves (who get yields from Mountain tiles)- though it will still be impossible even for the Dwarves ever to support more than size 4 cities there with a Well AND a Feasting Hall in a city working nothing but Mountain tiles (and pragmatically, most players and the AI would likely want size 2 cities mining a couple Hills at higher tech levels, anyways: especially as this gives a very, very low chance of eventually striking mineral resources like Gold or Iron...) and generally unprofitable to do even this without HEAVY investment in city infrastructure (Courts, Messenger Halls, Merchant Houses, etc. such as to generate enough Commerce just to cover City Maintenance costs, and the Opportunity Costs of building cities there rather than other investments...)

For a good example of the Far North done well, I recommend looking at map of the Fourth Age: Total War mod for Rome: Total War:

Anyways, aside from the Far North being too flat (which not only makes it boring, and impossible even to mine and live below ground in for the Dwarves- but also makes it far too easy for Cavalry based armies to quickly sweep across the region such as to attack foes on the other side of the region... More rugged terrain, dominated mostly by Mountains and Hills with narrow passes of Hills in the Mountain Ranges, would also make it easier to guard chokepoints with Spearmen and make the region harder to avoid the occasional Barbarians in...) the coastal resources could also use a bit of work.

I suggest, in particular, a couple more Fish resources in and around the Bay of Belfalas, the area west of the Gray Havens, and off the far northwest coast of Middle Earth (giving the tiny 1-tile island there a Fish in the 2nd layer of its Big Fat Cross makes particular sense, as in real ecosystems it is actually POLAR and Sub-Artic waters that are the most productive fisheries on the planet and have the most Fish.)

Warm waters, in real life, actually tend towards being "wet deserts" with relatively little marine life: except near the outlets of rivers and right against more mountainous coasts on occasion, where runoff and rivers can add nutrients and Oxygen mixing to waters... Also, where deep ocean currents are thrust into shallow warmer waters by a sudden rise in the seafloor: such as off the coasts of Peru and Chile- which are unusually VERY productive fisheries for latitudes so close the Equator...

So, it makes a lot of sense to add Fish resources, and Coastal Tiles further from shore, furthest north (as well as places like near the Lindons, where waters would be calmer and easier to fish). This is something map-designers of Civ4 mods ALMOST ALWAYS get precisely wrong, as your typical ecologically ignorant gamers have absolutely no clue that there is an INVERSE relationship between water temperature and the amount of marine life (Tropical waters tend to be relatively barren, except in very specific locations and near Coral Reefs. Whereas colder waters tend to be MUCH more productive and have far more and bigger fish even than waters near these features are...) and precisely wrongly assume you find the most fish in warmer waters...

The general trend of both these changes would be to slightly strengthen the northernmost civs- Arnor, Angmar, the Dwarves, and the Lindons to a small degree (by making the waters near the Lindons have more Fish or Coastal tiles), which is probably a good thing- civilization didn't generally collapse in the North in Tolkien's world (at least later, in the Third Age) due to a lack of natural resources- but instead due to fierce wars between Angmar (which probably needs to be more aggressive, and strengthened a bit: maybe an additional -1 to base diplomatic opinion and an extra Stone resource near its starting location for the bonus yields? Or some Pigs- which seem thematic food for Orcs to eat...) and Arnor and the Elves, as well as the end of the line of kings of Arnor; and of course due to Smaug ravaging the Kingdoms of Dale and the Dwarves...

A human-controlled Dwarven Kingdom, in particular, could really have some fun with a more realistically mountainous/hilly Far North... (by eventually peppering the area with a few Forts at chokepoints and some very small Mining Cities that might eventually strike metals or gems...)

Last edited:
Top Bottom