Middle East Sim 1960-1990

Mercade said:
Looks very interesting. I'll certainly give it a try when it gets closer to 1.0 status. Keep up the good work.

It is now at V 0.03, thus, closer to 1.0 status. :p

Seriously, its a lot more playable now. I promise. So, now, if there are any errors that I've missed, you can start reporting them. As it stands there are only a scant few things missing for pedia entries (which will actually get them in the long run), so the civilopedia should no longer pose any problems. I also noticed a few problematic unit links and corrected them, and completely changed the way NBC weapons worked.

mmm it does look interesting. Especially as I'm from Israel, I can test and watch for some inaccuracies.
The first inaccuracies I have seen in the screenshot - Tel Aviv is not the capitol, Jerusalem is. I know it was not completely so until 1967, but it was declared as the capitol in 1948.
Second - Iive seen in the screen shot the year is 1959, and Israel owns Gaza - but Israel conquered this region only in 1967.
Well I will dl and play now. Hope you will continue working on it.

Winterfell said:
mmm it does look interesting. Especially as I'm from Israel, I can test and watch for some inaccuracies.
The first inaccuracies I have seen in the screenshot - Tel Aviv is not the capitol, Jerusalem is. I know it was not completely so until 1967, but it was declared as the capitol in 1948.
Second - Iive seen in the screen shot the year is 1959, and Israel owns Gaza - but Israel conquered this region only in 1967.
Well I will dl and play now. Hope you will continue working on it.

I was a bit conflicted on whether to put the capital in Jerusalem or Tel Aviv; I figured that Tel Aviv should be the center of production for Israel, so that's ultimately what made me decide on Tel Aviv. I did not know that Jerusalem was declared the capitol in 1948, though, so I might move it in the next version. As for Gaza Strip and the West Bank, the situations in each are a bit complex (especially the West Bank) so for civ purposes I have just made them "occupied" by neighbouring Arab countries. If you tell the Egyptians to pull out or else initially, they will declare war, so I like the current setup for the Gaza Strip. It sorta makes sense. The alternative would be moving Gaza a little and having it controlled by Egypt, which would mess up the borders. As for the West Bank and Golan Heights, I'm more open to ideas.

Edit: I'm particularly interested in nomenclature, so feel free to offer up leader names for Israel, or any other countries around if you happen to know :D . I also need to work on making the city names a bit more consistent, I think, particularly for arab countries.

I tries downloading your scenario, but when I trip to decompress the main file, I got an error that said something like:

Warning: skipping "MESim\Art\Civilopedia\Icons\Races\". The 32-bit CRC stored in the local header for this file is not the same as the 32-bit CRC stored in the central header."

I've never seen something like this before, so my only guess is that the files in the zip file are corrupted. Or maybe my computer just screws up when it comes to that zip file. :p And I just downloaded and unzipped another zip file with no problems..

IXIRandyIXI: I have absolutely no idea what that is; I tested my own zip files before I uploaded 'em, but then it was my computer doing the zipping. I'm not sure what it is, and I know some other folks have unzipped it without problems. Try testing the file with another zip program, I think I am using WinImp, so maybe there is something screwy with it that other zip programs don't like; if anyone else says anything (or PMs me as such) I'll try making a new zip with those files. If you can't fix it on your own, though, don't worry, as the only thing you're missing is some little flag icons for the pedia entries for the 13 civs, and those pedia entries are VERY quaint at the moment. The rest of the scenario will still be playable.

Crash: I will fix that in the next patch; the small wonders section is still a little messy, I guess :) but it is supposed to show the Wall Street splash as a filler.

i really love this scenario!

i think there are a couple of things you could improve to make it excelent imho

i think civs should be able to draft right from the beginning, or maybe make an improvement to generate infantry. maybe it's just my idea but i find it unrealistic to have "modern" war scenarios where infantry takes no part :(

the ai razing cities is definitely a problem in this scenario... but i have tried a few things and noticed that civs under republic usually do not raze cities they capture, maybe you could give it a look :)

keep going, nice work

Yes, I hadn't messed with corruption yet. Once I have enough changes to warrant a new patch, I will raise the "optimum number of cities" WAY way up, which should nerf the AI's razing tendencies.
Also, I will consider making two weapon-specific barracks which generate infantry at a low rate. I may also put in a "Soviet Surplus" add-on for Islamic civs which generates RPG-7 infantry.
I'd prefer to make drafting require a tech. I'm not really sure if the AIs (or player, for that matter) would do something silly on the first turn if it already had drafting available.

Unless there's a spike in interest for this scenario, I probably won't have a V0.04 patch out for another week or two; I'm working on a new mod which I'd actually like to finish, unlike the past 3 or 4 mods I started which are stagnating on my hard drive. I still need a lot of input for this Mideast one, tho; I'd eventually like to get reasonable lists of Great Leaders, and some better city and improvement graphics.

I've been playing the latest version of this scenario now for 2 days and so far I like it. There was a really big ME scenario for Civ2 back in the day and it looks like your scenario is THE ME scenario for Civ3!!! :)

Some comments if I may.

1. There are many buildings and techs that have no explanation of what they do in the Civilopedia. (e.g. Farmers Market, Dam the Nile! etc...)

2. in Pediaicons.txt the AMX13 unit is named AXM13 which causes the game to crash if you try to build this unit once it is discovered.

That's it for now. I'll definately update you on anything else I find.

You're welcome!

Found some more errors today as well. Mostly in the Pediaicons.txt file.

no file found for #WON_SPLASH_BLDG_Mukhabarat #WON_SPLASH_BLDG_Public Works #WON_SPLASH_BLDG_Stock Exchange

Plus all of the #SHAPP_RACE_ISRAEL, EGYPT, JORDAN, etc. etc.

This is exactly the sort of stuff I need, MJ; I've put up a 0.04b patch correcting all the happy/sad/whatever faces with interim icons; eventually I'd like to get some good leaderheads for each civ, but I do not know how likely that is. I also set barracks to auto-produce infantry yearly, but also set them to require an airport (to limit barracks to large cities only).

I checked the building icons; there were a few errors; however, Public Works and Mukhabarat appeared fine. Maybe I am missing something, or previously uploaded an out-of-date pediaicons file. I fixed the Stock Exchange splash, however.

I also managed to forget to jack the OCN up, which I've just realized. To keep the AI from razing so much, go into MESim.biq in the editor, then Edit Rules, then World Sizes, then Medium; then set the Optimal Number of Cities entry to "1000". This should have the desired effect. It will be there in the next version, but I get the feeling I'll probably have the next version up in another couple weeks, so I don't intend on re-uploading a new biq with just that one teeny change.

Both patches have to be used (patch 2, then the most recent patch) for the scenario to work, for exactly that reason. All the pedia flag icons are in the second patch.

Unless I'm gravely mistaken, then. I hope I didn't mix up my pediaicons.txt

krazydude said:
are you still working on this scenario? i hope so, i think it has lots of potential mp and single player, i like it a lot :)

Sort of; pending feedback. Technically speaking both my Colonize Mod and this scenario are in what is likely to be a drawn out beta unless more people decide to test it and relay errors, ideas, or offers of help; I'm just one unassisted college student, and most of my time is absorbed with playing other games rather than testing my own. If and when I put out another patch for this, it will probably be a "complete" download with some more unit graphics.

Are you still working on this beacuse it looks great but I just won't work for me atm

When ever I try to load up it says:
error reading file
Missing entry in "Scenarios\..\..\Conquests\Scenarios\TCW\text\Pedialcons.txt
ICON_BLDG_Farmers Market.

I have TCW mod installed but it still won't work.

Pls help

I'm pretty sure that was one of the problems I fixed in the patches; check the 2nd or 3rd post for those. If you have them, I'll go back and check to make sure its set up properly.

I've been working on a modified version of this, which is really a plagerism of a plagerism, but that's ok.
Its got the US and UK in Kuwait, it's got Al-Qaeda as a civilization, its got the Palestinians included, and I'm working on updating the units.
If anyone wants me to send them my biq (only additional unit I imported so far is Carrier, but there will be more in the future)...
The scenario starts in 2003 and is set up to provide for a potential conflict between US/Israel/UK and Iran/Syria, depending.
Anyone still interested?

Top Bottom