Middle East Sim 1960-1990

GRM7584

King
Middle East Simulator 1960-1990

This scenario WILL NOT run without El Justo's Cold War mod installed. It requires it for unit graphics. For those of you who already have it, hooray, you only have to download 5 megs for this scenario to work. For those of you who don't, terribly sorry.

Additional: El Justo has made it overtly clear that he does not like that I referenced his scenario's units folder without asking him. His primary issues are that I didn't ask him for permission; that I did not obey modding protocol; that he spent more than 6 months assembling the units folder, and thinks it is unfair that I only had to spend a few minutes. I have also included the information in this supplemental edit without his permission. If any of this offends you, do not download this scenario. I have included this here as a disclaimer, to prevent further misunderstanding and general discontent. Please do not respond to this information in this thread. If you feel the need to, start a new one somewhere else, PM me, but it doesn't belong here.

Newest Version: 0.04b! hooray!
-In this version I have corrected several pediaicons and civilopedia errors and incomplete entries, as well as added a new system of barracks which auto-produces infantry specific to each civ. I have not tested this extensively in-game.

This scenario takes place...never mind. Read the title of the thing. I worked a good bit on this; the map is made from scratch, the (limited) current pedia entries are from scratch, the cities and terrain improvements all from scratch, so hopefully the end result is decent. I have tested this, and have not personally experienced any crashes or serious bugs as of V 0.03. Expect some bugs and critical errors, however, as this is an early version of the scenario. Also note the silly text used in some places, particularly under buildings; its just filler. Don't worry. (unless it becomes permanent :D )

The represented civs are:
Israel
Iraq
Iran
Saudi Arabia
Egypt
Syria
Jordan
Cyprus
Lebanon
Bahrain
Qatar
United Arab Emirates
Kuwait

The map is 80w x 60l, which means loading times should be very quick. The terrain is accurate (to a degree) but there isn't anything special here. If someone can provide me a good reason to make special terrain, I'll see what I can do.

None of these civs has a final leaderhead, many use Mursilis or Osman as filler. Many have filler leader names, or innaccurate leader names. This will change, and PLEASE feel free to offer suggestions for leaderheads, leaderhead names, and science/military leaders. Seriously. I probably won't do that on my own, so I'm hoping there are individuals around who are better informed than I.

Speaking of innaccuracies, there are almost certainly some in there. Some are incomplete, some I just don't know any better for. Check the pedia entries before you say anything, but this scenario is still under construction. There is also no mention of credits for unit graphics; I am sorry. I'll get to it, but nothing is final. I claim none of the unit art as my own, since I don't know how to do that. Yet.

UPDATE ADDENDUM 2006: I no longer offer anything remotely resembling support on this mod. It is dead. Any high-level Modding Clerics that wish to ressurect it can consider it free for the taking. All I ask is that you attach your name to any and all additions. Whether you give me credit for the basic mod or not is unimportant.

Having said all that, here are two previews (You'll just have to click them to see; I know its a lot of effort, but I am sure you'll live):

Attachments

• jigger1.JPG
    jigger1.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 2,612
  • jigger2.JPG
    jigger2.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 1,569
Shi-shashah! Download right.....here. This file is zipped, and has 4 units which I did not make. I'll get on the credits list for units eventually, worry not. This file is basically V 0.01; apply additional patches as outlined below. Once I have reached what I am comfortable with calling V 1.0 I will remove everything and put up an entirely new zip file.

http://www.civfanatics.net/downloads/civ3/scenarios/MESim.zip

Current Version restate: V 0.04b

Known Errors: Likely numerous, but currently undocumented. Imbalanced, many incorrect and incomplete entries. Respond with any errors you come across and I'll fix them.

After unzipping the above linked file into the .../Civ3/Conquests/Scenarios/ folder, apply patches V002 (which adds icons for civs in the civilopedia) and V004 (which has the newest .biq and .txt files).

Attachments

• patchV002.zip
    161.7 KB · Views: 831
  • patchV004.zip
    113.5 KB · Views: 660
Not so much into modern warfare usually but it looks good and the map is very nicely done (including the names !).
On the other hand why all cities (on the picture) except for Israelian ones have population = 1 ?

Like I said, its a slightly outdated screenie; note the debug mode and improper gov't name, amongst other things. The current version has the city sizes corrected and a full set of governments, including a simplistic representation of the various British Colonies (Bahrain, Qatar, Cyprus, etc.) which are not yet independent at the beginning of the scenario.

Edit: link is up. Have fun. Make sure to recommend changes, additions, et cetera!

Additional Edit: Don't bother reporting missing links and pedia errors. Yet. I know they are there, and I know they are multifarious.

Er...Don't report missing links and pedia errors, please? The abu bakr one can be corrected by changing the 'mo' to 'mod'. That was a cut-and-paste screwup on my part. I'm going to have all the missing links and pedia errors fixed by the next version, so you're just going to have to either A)stick to game concepts (which you should read before anything else, as it details various changes to the game), units, and buildings B)fix stuff yourself, temporarily. Its not very convenient, but I wanted to get this out so other people could tinker with it.

Edit: I caved and actually implemented the civs pedia section. While I was at it I fixed that abu bakr problem as well as the A-10 thing, along with a few other minor errors on my part. Download the interim patch in the second post.

Looks good. I'll dl and do some testing.

Er...bump...?
And gosh guys, brand spanking new scenario of the modern mideast, shouldn't there be a little more interest in helping me balance it? I mean, surely everyone here has nothing better to do than drop everything and play my scenario, reporting their thoughts and recommendations on this thread with some frequency. I've barely gotten any feedback yet, you know. :rolleyes:

GRM7584 said:
Er...bump...?
And gosh guys, brand spanking new scenario of the modern mideast, shouldn't there be a little more interest in helping me balance it? I mean, surely everyone here has nothing better to do than drop everything and play my scenario, reporting their thoughts and recommendations on this thread with some frequency. I've barely gotten any feedback yet, you know. :rolleyes:
You haven't fixed 2nd error i reported... :rolleyes:

Are you sure? I just checked in the file I uploaded for the first patch and it was corrected. Don't post another giant screenshot, but is it giving you the same error message?

I just downloaded it and played about 40 turns and really enjoyed it...........there are alot of problems like you stated but once they are fixed this will be a game I play quite often...............keep up the good work I will continue to check back to see when this is finished

Looks interesting. Sorry not have the time to playtest it right now. :(

Have you been inspired by the old dos game MEPS (which is great, by the way, so your scenario might be great, too)? :)

Looked at it through the editer, and it looks great! :king: :goodjob: However, I would suggest expanding the map so it includes all of Iran, and Egypt. Israel, Lebanon, Cyprus, Egypt, and maybe Jordan should be mediteranian culture. That's about it for now.

bluebox said:
Have you been inspired by the old dos game MEPS (which is great, by the way, so your scenario might be great, too)? :)

Yep. A combination of El Justos Cold War mod and remembering that old game made me think it would be a good idea for a civ scenario. I think its still up for download on the underdogs, although that sort of thing is always subject to change.

Top Bottom