Might be either caffeine or urge to create...

A library building.

Attachments

• TurksihLibraryExample.png
    TurksihLibraryExample.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 115
What is the texture you used for the main building's walls? Wood?

I like it, but there's a couple lines that shouldn't be visible.

Those are just test textures. It'll be a brick and stone building. The lines are only there for reference.

Look, at that size you can use it as a building as it is. :)

If you're using Blender, you can use wood textures from Wood Workshop -a nifty lightweight Windows program. If you can't find it ask me for a copy (it was freeware when I got it around 2010).

Here's the fully-textured version.

Attachments

• TurksihLibraryExample2.png
    TurksihLibraryExample2.png
    519.5 KB · Views: 149
I've been busy these days (work, dissertation, job applications, and much much more), but I got to doing more experimentation in Blender today. I don't like rendering in Blender since the UI is so unintuitive so I might try doing the renders in Carrara 8.5 (once I figure that out!).

Attachments

• hanokexample.png
    hanokexample.png
    90.6 KB · Views: 131
Ogedei, what variety of coffee are you drinking? I could use some of that Caffeine inspiration.

I don't like rendering in Blender since the UI is so unintuitive ...
Agree completely. Blender is set up to allow each creator to arrange the interface to suit their own workflow. But who wants to spend hours (and days) creating and adjusting their personally ideal UI? It could take just as long trying out the various ones that are available on-line for a close-enough match. For those of us doing this as an avocation better to spend those precious hours on making & rendering models.

Wasn't satisifed with the older Mosque building. I think I'm getting the hang of this. I haven't put anything into PCX yet since the camera, lighting, and environment settings are too awkward for now. But eventually, I'll put together everything in a single large graphics pack.

Attachments

• MasjidExample.png
    MasjidExample.png
    35 KB · Views: 116
Here's how it looks textured and in a PCX-ready format.

Attachments

• MasjidBuildingPCX.png
    MasjidBuildingPCX.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 119
After much wrangling with textures, shadow effects, and shading, I finally figured out why my renders were too dark - I forgot to "bake" with Ambient Occlusion in the render settings. And now I'm satisfied with how the Hamam looks.

Attachments

• HamamBuildingPCXReady.png
    HamamBuildingPCXReady.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 120
Arabian pavilion with fountain and trees. Note that because of the lighting and un-textured surface, the fountain looks a little deformed.

Attachments

• GardenExample.png
    GardenExample.png
    229.3 KB · Views: 157
Arabian pavilion with fountain and trees. Note that because of the lighting and un-textured surface, the fountain looks a little deformed.
If your ghats & tanks are any indication, the fountain will be beautiful.

The trickiest part so far is to convert the files to PCX in GIMP. This was much easier in Photoshop, but less so in GIMP.

I find pcx conversion in GIMP to be pretty straightforward, but then I've been doing it for years and worked out a lot of the quirks over time. I'm willing to help, but no guarantees on speedy delivery. If there's some specific stumbling-block(s) let me know. better to teach someone to fish, ...

Setting up the 256 indexed color palette is less obvious in GIMP than in Photoshop. I know the last two slots are supposed to be the transparent colors, but what would be a simpler way of setting up the palette? The way I'm doing it now is to set the image size to 130, try to put as many colors in the image as possible, put a stray green and magenta pixel on the extra pixels, set the image to Indexed and rearrange the color ordering in the palette (and I'm assuming that the "255" is technically 256?), then crop the image back to 128. With Photoshop, one could set all the extra empty color slots manually.

Anyway, here's the pavilion textured.

Attachments

• TurkishGardenBuildingPCXReady.png
    TurkishGardenBuildingPCXReady.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 111
Top Bottom