[NFP] Minor pet peeves and annoyances you wish the developers would fix

kaspergm

Deity
This is a thread to share the minor pet peeves and annoyances that we wish the developers would fix (as per the title). But minor I mean that this is not intended to be a(nother) "plz fix AI" thread - as relevant as that is, that is not a minor issue, nor is it specific.

I'll start out by one of my own: Railroad pathing. While one may like or dislike the art style of Civ6, I think it's hard to argue against the fact that a lot of care has been put into how things appear on the map. This is why it annoys me to no end that when I put down a railroad line, it looks like a complete mess. Example to prove this point:
Spoiler :

upload_2020-10-30_11-55-56.png

The railroad line goes from the farm in the bottom, through the campus, and up to the commercial hub in the top.

But instead what is drawn is some non-sensical railroad that goes from the farm into the holy site and neighborhood - where there are in fact no railroad laid down - and then from the holy site into the campus, where it may or may not connect up with the commercial hub, from where the railroad connects into the St. Basil's Cathedral.

So my wish is: Please make the game ignore other types of road when drawing railroad on the map.

List of pet peeves reported as pr. november 4th 2020:

• [Graphics] When putting down railroads, they don't connect up to adjacent railroad tiles but instead connect up to non-railroad roaded tiles. Source
  • [Graphics] It's hard to see where there are hills, particularly when there is a (rain)forest on them. Source
  • [UI] Using arrow keys to navigate the map makes the map continue moving in that direction after key is released. Source
  • [UI] Missing sorting option of cities according to production and science. Source
  • [UI] Allow traders to renew current route, and allow sorting for most yields (food, production, gold, etc.) when setting up routes. Source
  • [UI] No way to get comparison bids from multiple civs when selling resources without approaching each of them individually. Source
  • [UI] No tool to help determining which cities are in range when placing districts and wonders like Colliseum (a mod that does this exists). Source
  • [UI] When doing trade, we can't see which luxuries we already have access to from other trade deals and from being suzerain of city states. Source
  • [UI] Game doesn't remember your last settings when creating new game but always resort to (rarely used) settings like small map, prince difficulty, etc. Source
  • [UI] Useless pop-ups in the side menu, like city states declaring war on each other. Source
  • [UI] Religious units can't be linked to military units, like Inquisitors being linked to Conquistadors. Source
  • [UI] No option to repair all buildings in a district in the production queue. Source
  • [UI] No option to add a building to the production queue after its prerequisite building (i.e. add Campus-Library-University after each other to the queue). Source
  • [UI] Bad/cumbersome UI with regards to adjusting gold involved in deals (Concise UI mod solves this issue and should be integrated in game). Source
  • [UI] Sometimes when a unit wakes up from alert status, there's no option to let it skip its turn. You'll have to fortify it, so it won't react to enemies coming near. Source
  • [UI] When a unit ends it turn on a fort, you are forced to fortify it instead of skipping its turn. Source
  • [UI] Notification that other civs have build a wonder does not always appear. Source
  • [UI] The blue hex that shows limit for movement for religious units often show the wrong location. Source
  • [UI] There's no way to tell if a unit will have movement left allowing it to use an attack/action when moving to the end of its movement limit before making the move. Source
  • [UI] On the loading screen, there's no info about unique buildings and units on mousing over. Source
  • [Gameplay] Submarines don't ignore ice and borders. Source
  • [Gameplay] Missing logic in trade deal with regards to many things like scaling (different price pr. item when selling multiple copies of strategic resource) and missing logic in Gold Per Turn to Gold Upfront. Source Source
  • [Gameplay] AI voting in a locked manner in World Congress with regards to certain propositions (for instance will always put exactly one vote for themselves for culture bombing on district placement). Source
  • [Gameplay] Rivers don't grant movement bonus when moving along rivers. Source
  • [Gameplay/bug] Embarked units will disembark and move over land, often losing movement and taking longer to reach target, instead of staying embarked. Source
  • [Gameplay] No ability to gift units to city state you are suzerain of. Source
  • [Gameplay] No option to automate builders and military engineers to repair and to build railroads. Source
  • [Gameplay] When liberating a city state, apply suzerain status BEFORE enforcing closed borders, so liberators units aren't scattered all over the map. Source
  • [Gameplay] City states on the other side of the world giving you a Trade Route quest which you can't fulfill for a long time. Source
  • [Gameplay] No ability to cancel/reject a city state quest (for a new quest upon entering next era). Source
  • [Gameplay] You can break a promise not to convert cities when units are involved in religious combat even though you didn't take any active action in the combat. Source
  • [Gameplay] No option to re-negotiate open borders, friendship or alliance before being kicked out when deal ends. Source
  • [Gameplay] No option to negotiate rights of passage when fighting a third party in another civ's territory and you are asked to remove troups from their borders. Source
  • [Gameplay] City defenses being granted immediately on city capture after Steel is researched seems illogical and immersion breaking. Source
  • [Gameplay] Recruting Great Persons "ahead ot time" results in cascades where 2nd and 3rd great person is recruted without option to contest for them by other players. Source
  • [Gameplay] Aircraft Carrier fleets and armadas don't gain additional aircraft capacity slots. Source
  • [Gameplay] Vary, Mamluk and Winged Hussar don't upgrade to Cuirassier but to tanks. Source
  • [Gameplay] The Pantheon "Lady Of the Reed and Marshes" does not give production to the Pantanal, even though it's marshes. Source Similarly, the Great Barrier Reef is not considered a reef for adjacency, and many Mountain nautural wonders don't count as mountains. Source
  • [Gameplay] In Multiplayer, when ending a turn while a unit has movement left, the turn cycles back to that player instead of actually ending the turn. Source
  • [Gameplay] No option to move builders through territory of neutral city states. Source
  • [Gameplay/Bug?] Being the first to discover a City State when playing with shared vision does not grant the free envoy. Source
  • [Gameplay] No option to ask AI to stop converting a city BEFORE they actually have converted it. Source
  • [Gameplay] Baseline for amenities are now -1 instead of 0. Source
  • [Gameplay] You can "steal" city states on foreign continents by conquering them, loosing city to loyalty, reconquering free city and liberating the city state. Source
  • [Diplomacy] When an alliance ends, a leader will often refuse to renew friendship when asked, only to come ask you for friendship on their own turn. Source
  • [Diplomacy] Leaders keep nagging you repeatedly for accepting delegation/embassy every 3(?) turns even though you refuse. Source Same wrt. peace deals when at war. Source
  • [Diplomacy] No negative diplomatic modifier and no way to intervene when an ally attacks a city state you are suzerain of. Source
  • [AI] AIs (still) don't build airports or nukes. Source
  • [AI] AI often agrees to join a war for exactly 1 gold without any apparant logic. Source
  • [AI] AI seems to overprioritize pillaging trade routes without regard as to whether this will cost them the unit. Source
  • [Other] Game starts on turn 1 instead of starting on turn 0, which leads to turn numbers and game time doesn't correlate. Source

Last edited:
When I use arrow keys on my keyboard to move around the map, it often results in the camera/ingame screen moving on its own toward the same direction, and it won’t stop even when I have already stopped pressing the arrow keys.

I remember that I also encountered the same problem when I played Civ 4, and at that time Civ 5 hadn’t even been a thing yet!

So my wish is: Please make the game ignore other types of road when drawing railroad on the map.

Adding to this, I wish they would give the military engineer a "build railroad to x location" function like workers had in Civ 5.

Two pet peeves I have related to traders.

1: You tend to end up with way more of them than you may have in previous games. I wish you could set them to auto-renew so I had to click less. Make a cancel button in some "your trade routes" menu available, of course.

2: In Civ 5, you could list all possible trade routes, from all cities, and sort them to find the trade that'll get you the most gold. Civ 6 sort of has something like this, but not as good, if I remember correctly.

When I use arrow keys on my keyboard to move around the map, it often results in the camera/ingame screen moving on its own toward the same direction, and it won’t stop even when I have already stopped pressing the arrow keys.

I remember that I also encountered the same problem when I played Civ 4, and at that time Civ 5 hadn’t even been a thing yet!

This used to happen to me all the time (usually if I was doing it while waiting for the next turn to load), but oddly enough it didn't happen once the most recent game I played. Maybe they finally fixed it?

Since we're talking minor, how about:
1) Alliance ends.
2) I go to declare friendship with that leader on the same turn to continue the alliance.
3) Leader says no.
4) I end turn.
5) Leader promptly contacts me to ask for a declaration of friendship.
It doesn't happen every time, but it does happen often enough. Annoying.

You can go ahead and couple this with:
1) Leader asks to send a delegation/embassy/friendship declaration.
2) I say no.
3) Leaders reaches out to me and asks for the exact same thing every few turns until I finally say yes.

My biggest minor issue (oxymoron?) is that there is no recourse and no negative effect for one of your allies attacking and taking over one of your suzerained city-states. It makes no sense from either an immersion or gameplay perspective.

My other big issue is the inability to put up items for trade and get comparison bids from other civs. I don't know why I have to individually offer each civ my extra copy of a turtle to see who will give me the best deal, instead of broadcasting to known civs that I have a turtle for sale and getting their bids.

Repeated messages from the AI. If I am at war, I know how to make peace. I don't need the Ai to keep offering me a peace deal every few turns. If you decline an AI offer, surely there should be a long interval before the same offer is made.

Different prices for deals depending on quantity. If you sell 2 iron then you often get a different price (pro rata) than for 20 iron. Then you get less if you trade for immediate gold which is fair enough, but if there is a formula for x gold = y gpt like there was in Civ 5, I can't work it out.

There was a mod that showed you how many cities were in range of each tile which was so useful for placing the colosseum, industrial zones, jebel barkal etc. I would like to see that incorporated into the game.

Please make the game ignore other types of road when drawing railroad on the map.

I think that, instead of replacing roads, railroads should pass between tiles, like rivers, giving a movement boost to adjacent tiles. Instead of building it with military engineers, we would build a train station building in the city center, which automatically generates a railroad connecting to every other city in range that also has a train station. It would be more practical to build and it wouldn't make these weird connections with district roads, since it would run independently on its own path.

1. Various trading issues with AI and strategic ressources:

- AI not buying up to their purchase limit in one deal ( https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...c-ressource-storage-limit-in-one-deal.658382/ )
- AI offering excessive prices for Uranium and buying it up to 62 units ( https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...for-excessive-prices-60-gold-per-unit.658754/ )
- AI purchase limit not scaling with game speed ( https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...t-behind-on-epic-marathon-game-speeds.649957/ )
- when having more than the purchase limit in storage, they will sell you everything and sometimes on top for a very cheap price ( https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...-strategic-ressource-when-being-above.659350/ )

2. AI predictable voting logic for the Border Control treaty resolution - leading to the human nearly always winning both the culture bomb and a victory point, when casting one extra vote one him/herself ( https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...-for-border-control-treaty-resolution.649959/ )

3. When trading for luxuries with the AI, not seeing ones one your side of you traded in from other AI or you gain from a CS (leading to always having to check the ressource screen before purchasing luxuries)

I think that, instead of replacing roads, railroads should pass between tiles, like rivers, giving a movement boost to adjacent tiles. Instead of building it with military engineers, we would build a train station building in the city center, which automatically generates a railroad connecting to every other city in range that also has a train station. It would be more practical to build and it wouldn't make these weird connections with district roads, since it would run independently on its own path.
While at it, give rivers a movement boost to adjecent tiles too.

Pathfinding for embarked units: don't effing disembark!
Dragging the map while having a unit selected tends to result in issuing a movement order to that unit to God knows where.

And not a pet, but a major peeve: missing, misleading and no good User Interface. Please replace with a useful and informative one.

Less popups on the sides. I don't think I can emphasize enough how little I care that Mohenjo Daro is at war with Nazca, or that an unmet player built the Great Bath.
City state war/peace and wonder pop ups need to leave.

lack of unit gifting to both city states and allied civs. It was such a simple yet great feature, it enabled you to defend city states without declaring war also made for very fun shenanigans with friends online. There is nothing quite like financing both sides in a war.

Pathfinding

the fact that inquisitors can no longer be linked with conquistadores like support units or civilian units would.

lack of airpower and nukes on the side of the ai. I'd love to get bombed and feel the threat of nuclear war.

• Automate builders to repair
  • Automate militar engineers to build railroads and repair
  • Repair the entire district
  • Be able to add a building if its prerequisite is on the queue (eg. add a university if the library is on the queue)
Many of this were possible in Civ 2 Call to Power. You could automate builders for specific actions, like build roads or clean up rainforest (if I remember correctly, rainforest made your cities be sick. Besides slowing down an invading army, they served little purpose.) There was the road to or farm to commands. I agree that automation is less efficient, but late in the game efficiency matters less.

Top Bottom