Missions

Tenketsu

Chieftain
I would like to see a large quantity of random missions based on the shows. They would function similarly to the current random events, but rather than picking a choice from a dialog box, you would have to take practical action.

Example: A plague breaks out in System X. You can choose to ignore it, and risk heavy population loss there and it might spread further. You can send a ship there to try to cure it (with success based on the level of the ship and possibly relevant promotions), and XP granted to the ship. Or you can send a ship there to 'sterilize' the System to keep it from spreading. These missions could pop up in other's territory too, and for instance I'm sure the Cardassians would like the Feds better after they stop a moon from crashing into their planet.

I think it would add a lot of the feel from the shows and also add to gameplay by giving you meaningful and interesting choices, and new methods of effecting diplomatic relations.

Thoughts?

You mean like a quest system? (I'm not speaking about quests modelled after the BTS style ones- I'm referring specifically to the game concept of a quest).

I tried to make events work once as a modmod, but there seems to be problems with the random event system in Final Frontier and/or Star Trek. deanej had little luck making events work either when he tried it.

There probably would be both events and quests, if they could be made to work... the ideas are definitely good, but the implementation is the problem.

I'm thinking of bringing events back for 3.0, but it will be the last thing I do for it (even coming after the scenarios). That way I can take my time on it, starting with a few and expanding them in patches. It also means that nothing else will be delayed on their part.

I'm also going to be a little more flexible with them. Rather than having a list of events to implement before release, I'll come up with ideas and a target to reach for release and make them up as I go along. That way if something doesn't work it won't sink them.

Top Bottom