Moai Statues.... what the hell?!

Yeah, but I just felt that somewhere at some point, the discussion ceased to be about just that specific wonder :mischief:

Meh. I think they just felt like they needed a national wonder which would help you in one of those cities (there's always at least one city who has a lot of water tiles - except if you're stuck in the middle of the continent). That they chose the Moai Statues is, I think, because they are recognizable (who here hasn't seen a picture of them?) yet mysterious.

Stonehenge increases the culture in every city because of the Spinal Tap tour. It increases culture by only one because, well, it's Spinal Tap.

Well as I said, my main problem with them is that they are a national wonder rather than an ancient world wonder as would seem to make more sense. Granted, we have Scotland Yard and the Globe Theatre and Oxford University all as national wonders, when the real world only has one of them as well, but they basically represent a generic "great theatre" or "great university" which all civs could have.

You just answered your own question. Moai Statues can represent generic "big stone statues of dudes" that have been built in pretty much any human culture with access to stone.

I still haven't managed to figure out how mines help you build buildings, beyond providing the material.

Or what it is, exactly, that they're mining. It helps build both structures and, presumably, weapons and gear. I'd say iron, but it isn't iron, stone, marble, coal, copper, or any of those things.

From a gameplay point of view, MS would be a pretty useless world wonder. If you are playing on a level where the AIs are giving you serious competition, you would have to build it in a high production city to beat them to it. And in a city that already has high production output, the effect would be minimal, so why would you bother? The point of MS seems to be to give some extra hammers to an island city that doesn't have many. To be able to do this, it needs to be a national wonder, regardless how realistic or not that might be.

From a gameplay point of view, MS would be a pretty useless world wonder. If you are playing on a level where the AIs are giving you serious competition, you would have to build it in a high production city to beat them to it. And in a city that already has high production output, the effect would be minimal, so why would you bother? The point of MS seems to be to give some extra hammers to an island city that doesn't have many. To be able to do this, it needs to be a national wonder, regardless how realistic or not that might be.

Ummm...it is a National Wonder. You don't have to "beat" anyone to it.

This wonder is very effective if you can get it in one of those locations that has fresh water lakes and sea tiles. In my last game, In the BFC was 7 fresh water tiles, 7 land tiles 4 hills, and 5 coastal tiles. I also had sugar, corn, and fish resources in the BFC. The MS and a lighthouse means the fresh water tiles are 3 food and 1 hammer. Not a bad deal.

Other than that, I usually build it on a penninsula. It can make a low production city into an "ok" production city if you have a food resource or two to help with growth.

Ummm...it is a National Wonder. You don't have to "beat" anyone to it.

This wonder is very effective if you can get it in one of those locations that has fresh water lakes and sea tiles. In my last game, In the BFC was 7 fresh water tiles, 7 land tiles 4 hills, and 5 coastal tiles. I also had sugar, corn, and fish resources in the BFC. The MS and a lighthouse means the fresh water tiles are 3 food and 1 hammer. Not a bad deal.

Other than that, I usually build it on a penninsula. It can make a low production city into an "ok" production city if you have a food resource or two to help with growth.

um he says "if Moai Statues were a world wonder..." and that then you have to beat everyone else to it but that it would be a useless/pointless world wonder etc

@LegionSteve, i get the idea of giving sea-tile rich cities with more production capabilities with Moai Statues. But I still believe that the building is a poor representation of that kind of a national wonder. The Moai Statues is one of kind in real life and as someone pointed out it is shrouded with mystery and whatnot. I think the building deserves a more meaningful place in civ other than being a staple wonder for all civs to build.

@LegionSteve, i get the idea of giving sea-tile rich cities with more production capabilities with Moai Statues. But I still believe that the building is a poor representation of that kind of a national wonder. The Moai Statues is one of kind in real life and as someone pointed out it is shrouded with mystery and whatnot. I think the building deserves a more meaningful place in civ other than being a staple wonder for all civs to build.

The same could be said for most of the National Wonders. Many of them are truely one-of-a-kind type of structures.

I understand putting a name on these to give it more familiarity at the sacrifice of the one-of-a-kind nature.

You just answered your own question. Moai Statues can represent generic "big stone statues of dudes" that have been built in pretty much any human culture with access to stone.

Yeah... not in the Industrial or Modern ages though. Either I'm not putting my point across very well or just no-one sees this in quite the same way.

Okay then, forget I ever mentioned it. Bra.

Revised Statues effect:
World Wonder that lets your galleys safely enter sea tiles.
and obsoletes with Astronomy (well, so do galleys :) )

=======
And Dikes can be the National Wonder (it's not like every Dutch City has them (or do they?)?).

Revised Statues effect:
and obsoletes with Astronomy (well, so do galleys :) )

=======
And Dikes can be the National Wonder (it's not like every Dutch City has them (or do they?)?).

That makes a lot of sense to me, but the problem is your new Moai Statues world wonder may be a bit OP on an old world start :mischief:

Revised Statues effect:

That makes a lot of sense to me, but the problem is your new Moai Statues world wonder may be a bit OP on an old world start :mischief:

Good point. I was thinking they'd be overpowered in any start as they'd lead to easy circumnavigation. OP'd anywhere you are trying to beat AIs to new land.

So, make them expensive - you have to chop down all your trees ;)

I miss the old Offshore Platform effect :(

I miss that too. That was something from Civ II that I liked. You could turn a low production country into a powerhouse with those platforms. It was a normal building that came late in the game that did the same as the Moai Statues.

Does the Moai Statues and dike stack? Because that could make a nice production city in some random island.

Top Bottom