1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[MOD] Australian Colonization

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Mods and Files' started by PiMan, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Slab2Go

Slab2Go Chieftain

...by the way, your Military list could include William Bligh, governor of Sydney at the time of the Rum Rebeliion (yes, THAT Capt. William Bligh)

2. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Exploration:
    - Flinders needs to become Bass & Flinders
    - Hume and Hovell should be in there somewhere
    - Blaxland, Wentworth and Lawson should be together (as all three crossed the Blue Mountains for the first time)
    - Burke & Wills are too old (1860's), better explorers earlier.
    - Willem de Vlamingh WHO???? I'd use Dampier instead. Sailed the same region a couple of years later and is more famous (plus an Englishman ;))
    - John Oxley (found the site for Brisbane)
    - Thomas Mitchell (explored western Victoria all the way to Portland)

3. Dryhad

Dryhad Chieftain

Long story short: Exploration is the smallest FF category with the largest pool of potential candiates. You can basically put whoever you want in Exploration, I'd rather focus on Military and Religion where potential candiates are lacking (could any "explorers" be justified in one of those categories?)

Also, I don't know what you're smoking saying 1860's is too old. My version lasts until 1944 maximum, PiMan's goes until 2003!

4. Dale

Dale Chieftain

B&W stood out as the only ones not from pre-1840's. That's all. And I didn't know the timelines. :)

5. PiMan

PiMan Chieftain

Is that when mine finishes? I'd never bothered to check.
    It probably finishes at a different year for different game speeds.

All the actual content however is historically to be no later than 1913 (founding of Canberra)

6. Dryhad

Dryhad Chieftain

If it does, then you did it wrong. I based that figure on Quick because it uses 1 year:1 turn. If the other speeds end at different dates, the number of months per turn needs to be tweeked until they don't.

The vanilla game has content that goes some ways after independence (Nathaniel Hawthorne, top tier Religion Founding Father, wasn't even born until 1804!) You may want to consider doing something similar for the sake of "what if"

7. PiMan

PiMan Chieftain

I'll tweak it to finish at the end of 1900, but this is another of those little things I'm not all to worried about for now. Content first, tweaking later... then more content.

If I go much further, then the game is going into modern times, and I don't much want to include planes and tanks in the revolutionary war. I could do it, but I don't want to at this stage.

8. Dryhad

Dryhad Chieftain

Oh I wouldn't suggest that. Since Colonization doesn't have a tech tree that sort of thing is easily avoided. No, I was thinking more of Founding Fathers. For example, I have Henk Sneevliet as my top tier Political Founding Father. Since you're not including Indonesia he doesn't apply, but he was in the Dutch East Indies from 1913 to 1918. Obviously technology shouldn't be included, but the odd historical figure is probably a good thing.

9. PiMan

PiMan Chieftain

I'm perhaps a little weird in that when I include a feature, I'm going to include the whole feature.
    For example, I recognise that Australian colonisation took place in the 19th century, so I will be including railroad eventually. Still not certain about whether the railroad will have the same effects as Civilization IV railroad, or if I will significantly reduce its benefit, but it will be there eventually.

10. Slab2Go

Slab2Go Chieftain

some more suggestions for FFs
    Religion - Caroline Chisholm
    Mil - Major George Johnston (who lead the Rum Rebellion)

11. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Chieftain

added mod your modcast!!! come listen in 2 weeks

12. PiMan

PiMan Chieftain

Like many mods, my mod is not compatible with the patch. the resources update is being delayed even further in order to get a working update out ASAP.

13. PiMan

PiMan Chieftain

v0.25.01 now available. Works with official patch 1.01f

14. chrissifniotis

chrissifniotis GoogleCiv 2.0.0 coming...

Wow, I can't wait for this thing to be fully completed. I might decide on getting the mod next month when the bandwidth refreshes. :goodjob:

15. PiMan

PiMan Chieftain

Thanks for this, it will add some great publicity for my mod.

I have taken the time to record a response to your analysis of my mod. You will find it attached here and on Apolyton.
    The attached file you see here is just an ogg file zipped up. I use it because it is better quality than mp3.

Attached Files:

16. Keeshi

Keeshi Chieftain

*claps* I salute you sir!

17. Dale

Dale Chieftain

I posted some comments about the Modder's Spotlight in ModCast. I think they really need to re-visit their analysis and get a few things right themselves. :gripe:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=315430

Ignore them mate, you did a great job and I'm happy to have the Civ in AoD2. :)

This is just another example of the lack of ModCast coverage and support for Col mods. :gripe:

18. chrissifniotis

Since you're the creator of the mod, I wanted to ask you, I've been playing the mod since the start of the month and I really like it so far, but I wanna ask, do you mind if I start to post screenshots in the gallery or perhaps wait until the mod is closer to completion?

19. PiMan

PiMan Chieftain

Go ahead. You may want to wait a bit though, as the first resources update is very close to complete. I predict I'll be done before Easter is over.

20. chrissifniotis

:p These don't show resources, but thanks for the update, and awesome, I know a little about the products used in Australia, without revealing too much, I take it Rum will remain in the mod?