[Mod] Civ 6 Improvements Patch

Xaviarlol

Warlord
Hi all

Civ 6 Improvements Patch makes general changes aimed at making Civ 6 more fun while keeping the essence of the game the same.

Focus areas

- Making the game more interesting and fun, particularly in the bland early and late game.

- Addressing tech research going too fast in mid-late game.

- Creating more meaningful choices though a major overhaul of policies.

- Adding new buildings to plug the gap in buildings that occurs in the mid-game and to make the game more enjoyable

- Improving natural wonders.

- Resolving under-powered sea-tiles / coastal cities.

Detailed list of changes

==General Changes==

- Major overhaul of almost all policies. Policies are now far more strategic and have big implications to play-style.

- Added many new buildings with unique effects

- Tech / Era speeds - Reduced Tech and Civic boosts (Eureka, inspirations) to now increase tech by 30%, was 50%.

- Tech / Era speeds - Increased tech and civic costs based on era. Approx. 1.3x in midgame to 2x in late eras

- Natural Wonders - Increased tile yields slightly for all Natural Wonders

- Reduced the 1 envoy city state bonus. This is to prevent randomness from playing such a big part in the start of the game when the first person to meet gets a free envoy and therefore a huge bonus.

- Housing - Starting city housing in non-fertile land increased by +1

- Builders can now add +20% production instantly towards building a district for a builder charge. Aztec bonus increased to +50% production to compensate.

- Oligarchy government overhauled. Now increases Food and Science in the capital by 30% but reduces those yields in all other cities by 10%. This is the government to get if you want to go tall.

- Added project "Develop Housing". This project allows cities to build Housing but at the cost of losing population. This allows you to grow enormous cities at the cost of using up production capacity.

- Traderoute durations doubled so you don’t need to refresh them so frequently in the late game.

- War Weariness from losing amenities reduced slightly.

- Doubled Unit upgrade costs so that it is less ridiculous.

==Districts==

- District pop requirements slightly increased, from 3 to 4 (that is, more pop required to build more districts in a city).

- Slightly decreased production cost of districts

- Districts - Holy site faith adjacency increased to +3 faith near Natural Wonders

- Districts - Theatre District culture adjacency increased to +2 culture near Wonder.

==Terrain and Resources==

- Increased yield slightly for some resources. Now resources will be slightly better than forests, hills and rainforests (finally!). Also slightly increased yield for Plantations, camps and other resource-based improvements. Overall the map around you and resources will be a little more interesting.

- Fish and Crab resources now give an additional +1 production.

- Hills no longer grant bonus yields

Changelog

Spoiler Changelog :

V17
- Updated to be compatible with Spring update.
- Some policy balance tweaks and bug-fixes.

V16
- New policy effects for some Military and Diplo policies
- Increased yield slightly for some resources. Now resources will be slightly better than forests, hills and rainforests (horay!). Also slightly increased yield for Plantations, camps and other resource-based improvements. Overall the map around you and resources will be a little more interesting.

V15
- Fixed worker charges bug with colonization policy.
- Other misc fixes and improvements

V13
- Reduced the 1 envoy city state bonus. This is to prevent randomness from playing such a big part in the start of the game when the first person to meet gets a free envoy and therefore a huge bonus.
- Fixed bug causing crash when loading.
- Fixed aircraft not in production bug.

Version 12
General - Traderoute duration doubled.
General - War Weariness from losing amenities reduced slightly.
General - Doubled Unit upgrade costs so that it is less ridiculous.
Buildings - New buildings added.
Policies - readded builder charges bonus to Colonization

Version 11
- More buildings added to Districts (Still more to come)
- Small bugfixes with some policies

Version 9
- 10 new City-centre buildings. Dozens of new buildings for Districts coming soon. This should allow districts and cities to be far more specialized and feel less spammy.
- Slowed Research times further (mostly in Modern and above). This is mostly to offset science gained in new policies and buildings.
- District pop requirements slightly increased, from 3 to 4 (that is, more pop required to build more districts in a city).

Version 8
- Loads of new policy updates.
- Small fixes

Version 7
- Oligarchy changed to only modify food and science, rather than all yields.
- Medina Quarter food reduced to +4 from +5.
- District production modifier cost slightly increased (still lower than Vanilla). This is to compensate for the new ability for all civs to use builders to add production to districts.

Version 6
Districts - Harbor now gains +3 gold if adjacent to the city (yay coastal cities!) (Thanks to Chocolate PI for the idea and code.
Districts - Holy site faith adjacency increased to +3 faith near Natural Wonders
Districts - Theatre District culture adjacency increased to +2 culture near Wonder.
Governments - Oligarchy government overhauled. Now increases all yields in the capital by 30% but reduces yields in all other cities by 10%. This is the government to get if you want to go tall.

Version 5
- Builders can now add +20% production instantly towards building a district for a builder charge. Aztec bonus increased to +50% production to compensate.

Version 4
- Changes to sea tiles. Harbor and Royal Dockyard now add +1 production to ocean and coastal tiles.
- Fish and Crab resources now give an additional +1 production.
- Public Works policy now gives +1f to ocean tiles, as well as coastal.
- Slightly increased Road movement bonuses.

Version 3
Policies - Overhauled all policies up to end of industrial era

Version 2
Policies - Overhauled all policies up to medieval era

Version 1
Tech / Era speeds - Reduced Tech and Civic boosts (Eureka, inspirations) to now increase tech by 30%, was 50%.
Tech / Era speeds - Increased tech and civic costs based on era. Approx. 1.3x in midgame to 2x in late eras
Policies - Changed many early policies to be more interesting and more useful. The choice should now be a lot more meaningful. (More changes to come in later updates)
Policies - Lowered all of the policies that add +100% and +50% production modifiers on Military unit production. These are now +30%. This should make it more important to invest in a large army, rather than rapidly build one when you need them.
Natural Wonders - Increased tile yields slightly for all Natural Wonders
Housing - Starting city housing in non-fertile land increased by +1
Housing - Housing from coast increased by +1
Housing - Granary increases housing by +3, was +2
Housing - Entertainment District now also increases housing by +1.
Governments - Changed Oligarchy government to now have 2 Diplomatic policy slots. This should make it a more meaningful choice for City State play.
Districts - Reduced production costs of all districts by approx. 25%.

Screenshots

upload_2016-10-30_2-27-47.png

Steam workshop download link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=871474246

Download here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/81wxfmlctuf25zc/AAAJb9GXJHIQsh-bPyPuF8CQa?dl=0

Install instructions:

If downloading from Steam Workshop, simply subscribe.

If manually downloading:
Download and unzip it to "..\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods"

Open the game. Go in "Additional Content" and activate it by checking the box near "Activate Mod" then click "Back" and launch a game.

COMPATIBILITY
This mod should be compatible with most other mods, and is fully compatible with AI mods.

KNOWN ISSUES
- None

Last edited:
Nice work!
Do you mind providing a more comprehensive changelog on policies?

Nice improvements. I'd also like to see more about your policy changes.

Here are some of the first ones.

upload_2016-10-25_22-58-47.png

Thoughts/concept behind this is that your policy choice should support your strategy and pathway. For example out of the starter eco policies you can either go a faith/religion pathway or a much more powerful production head start. A little bit closer to the concept of going Tradition or Liberty (tall vs wide) in Civ 5. On the military side, you could either start accumulating great general points or protect yourself from barbarians a lot more effectively.

Last edited:
Here are some of the first ones.

View attachment 456492

Thoughts/concept behind this is that your policy choice should support your strategy and pathway. For example out of the starter eco policies you can either go a faith/religion pathway or a much more powerful production head start. A little bit closer to the concept of going Tradition or Liberty (tall vs wide) in Civ 5. On the military side, you go start accumulating great general points or you can protect yourself from barbarians a lot more effectively.

I Think that these changes (mostly production) would make early archer rush waaaaay to powerful... Faith is fine I guess.

Are these already on the file, OP?

I Think that these changes (mostly production) would make early archer rush waaaaay to powerful... Faith is fine I guess.

Are these already on the file, OP?

I significantly reduced the military prod boosts in the military policies so technically you shouldn't see a big difference with unit production. This should offset the power of a rushed archer build.

Yes, changes are in the current version.

I am not seeing the policy or Oligarchy changes. I can see the granary change, the eureka changes are functioning as are Natural wonders (Great Barrier Reef).

I am not seeing the policy or Oligarchy changes. I can see the granary change, the eureka changes are functioning as are Natural wonders (Great Barrier Reef).

Probably because the portion of the mod for the policies is commented out.

EDIT: That is, policies excluding the military unit production modifier.

Heyho mate, I've tried your mod and it works like a charme and in my opinion, the changes are improving the game a lot, especially in the mid-game. I hope you are keeping up with the good work. BTW, is it normal, that sometimes the game crashes with the mod activated? Or is it just my pc?

Update: Ok, I think I found a problem. Everytime I am 1 turn away to build a temple in Saint Petersburg, the game crashes. Dunno why.

Last edited:
Probably because the portion of the mod for the policies is commented out.

EDIT: That is, policies excluding the military unit production modifier.
Uncommenting said code causes the game to crash on starting a game. I haven't tried debugging it.

The mod worked fine in the beginning but now all the changes are gone.The only thing ive done is turning on debug mode.What do you mean by "Uncommenting"?

The mod worked fine in the beginning but now all the changes are gone.The only thing ive done is turning on debug mode.What do you mean by "Uncommenting"?

Code:
<!-- OTHER POLICIES -->
    <!--
[snip]
    -->

EDIT: And by uncommenting I mean taking that away.
EDIT2: Well, not for the "other policies" comment, obviously.

Is anyone getting the updated tooltips for the Natural Wonders?

I can only get them to work if I make new tags for them.

I'll take a look. There were a few version changes before I went to bed, I may have broken something. Try redownloding the mod and re-extract.

*Edit found the error in the code. It was from a last minute change.

Redown-load and re-extract will fix it. It is savegame compatible.

Last edited:
The Raid policy seems to be blank where it's effect is suppose to be when I am looking at it in the civic tree. Overall though great mod. I like a lot of the changes.

Top Bottom