[Mod] Civ 6 Improvements Patch

Thanks for the great work, this really makes the game more enjoyable! Would you mind putting the mod on GitHub? It would make it much easier to track changes and make custom versions.

Thanks a lot Xav!! This indeed makes the game way more enjoyable. I will be checking out this thread regularly to find more updates :)
You rock!!
Also, I will post suggestions / requests I come across while playing Civ6.
Cheers!! :)

Nice work! I'm finishing my 2nd game just now and the inflated production costs in the late game feel really unnecessary. Also looking forward to a coastal city improvement, hopefully one that does not rely on the Harbor district, since one of the few advantages with a coastal city right now is that you don't require a Harbor to access the sea. Forcing a Harbor district onto all coastal cities would make them even worse imo.

Maybe add another district that can only be build adjacent to the city center and in a coastal water space? Instead of focusing on shipbuilding, this district could focus on resource gathering.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to switch the Oligrachy governement bonus with the Autocracy one? I don't get why increase to wonder production would be assigned to autocracy.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to switch the Oligrachy governement bonus with the Autocracy one? I don't get why increase to wonder production would be assigned to autocracy.

Why wouldn't it? Egypt was autocratic for example.

So something is not working as it should on my game.

Mod is placed on the correct location and activated on the ingame menu.

Although, there are no changes to policies at all in game (yes, on a newly created game).

Anything else I should've done for it to work?

Edit: Correction, Eurekas seem to be at 30%.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't it? Egypt was autocratic for example.

This has nothing to do with real-life examples. Why wouldn't I earn bonuses to experience gain with a military oriented government? Oligarchy is jack-of-all trades.

Thanks for the great work, this really makes the game more enjoyable! Would you mind putting the mod on GitHub? It would make it much easier to track changes and make custom versions.

Will throw it up there later today.

Nice work! I'm finishing my 2nd game just now and the inflated production costs in the late game feel really unnecessary. Also looking forward to a coastal city improvement, hopefully one that does not rely on the Harbor district, since one of the few advantages with a coastal city right now is that you don't require a Harbor to access the sea. Forcing a Harbor district onto all coastal cities would make them even worse imo.

Maybe add another district that can only be build adjacent to the city center and in a coastal water space? Instead of focusing on shipbuilding, this district could focus on resource gathering.

In the new update I made Public Works policy buff the hell out of coastal cities. It now provides +1 food on all coastal tiles (without needing Harbor or any other requirements), big food bonus for the harbour district and +2 housing from having a harbor.

I really wanted the coastal tile buff to be tied to a policy for balance reasons and to give more flavour/strategy to the coastal city playstyle. So I envision that a civ like england would adopt that policy + colonial offices and have the most amazing cross-continent coastal (colonies) cities imaginable.

Last edited:
So something is not working as it should on my game.

Mod is placed on the correct location and activated on the ingame menu.

Although, there are no changes to policies at all in game (yes, on a newly created game).

Anything else I should've done for it to work?

Edit: Correction, Eurekas seem to be at 30%.

There is a bug in the base game that doesn't reload updated mod texts when you reload a game in the same session. The mod still fully works but tooltips revert to vanilla. Easiest way to fix is to close and reopen the civ 6.

I'll be overhauling governments soon so that they are more strategic and meaningful.

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with real-life examples. Why wouldn't I earn bonuses to experience gain with a military oriented government? Oligarchy is jack-of-all trades.

But oligarchy is the military orientated one in vanilla.

The current governments are all over the place. Autocracy has 2 military policy slots yet oligarchy is the one with a military bonus. Quite nonsensical to me. I'm still contemplating how I want to change government bonuses. I feel like something quite substantial is the way to go.

Does this mod change anything about how aggressive the AI is?

After enabling this, it seems that the AI declares war on me MUCH sooner on Deity than it did before, in fact, on my last 3 or 4 attempts at a decent start position I got DOWd between turns 6 and 8, with all the AI cheat starting forces coming for me, making it impossible to defend.

Withouth the mod this pretty much always got delayed to turn 20 or so, giving me som time to build up something to defend with (on standard game pace by the way).

It could be some mix of good/bad luck (good because I had ridiculously good starting locations). But I'm just wondering if the mod has anything to do with it.

Does this mod change anything about how aggressive the AI is?

After enabling this, it seems that the AI declares war on me MUCH sooner on Deity than it did before, in fact, on my last 3 or 4 attempts at a decent start position I got DOWd between turns 6 and 8, with all the AI cheat starting forces coming for me, making it impossible to defend.

Withouth the mod this pretty much always got delayed to turn 20 or so, giving me som time to build up something to defend with (on standard game pace by the way).

It could be some mix of good/bad luck (good because I had ridiculously good starting locations). But I'm just wondering if the mod has anything to do with it.

Nope.

I think loading an auto-save will get rid of the policies.
I'll start up Civ6, load a game, the modded policies are there. If I load a game anytime afterwards, autosave or regular save, the policies will go away. I've re-downloaded the mod every time this has happened, although I found that just restarting Civ6 fixes this, too. Is there a reason why the policies disappear like that...?

I think loading an auto-save will get rid of the policies.
I'll start up Civ6, load a game, the modded policies are there. If I load a game anytime afterwards, autosave or regular save, the policies will go away. I've re-downloaded the mod every time this has happened, although I found that just restarting Civ6 fixes this, too. Is there a reason why the policies disappear like that...?

I've noticed the effect is still there, it's just the art assets that use the vanilla ones on loading another save.

There is a bug in the base game that doesn't reload updated mod texts when you reload a game in the same session. The mod still fully works but tooltips revert to vanilla. Easiest way to fix is to close and reopen the civ 6.

This was a much better solution, and a lot easier to implement.

Work boats can be built on all coastal tiles and they get +1 production with mass production.

Spoiler Work Boats on Coast :

INSERT INTO Improvement_ValidTerrains (ImprovementType, TerrainType) VALUES ('IMPROVEMENT_FISHING_BOATS', 'TERRAIN_COAST');
INSERT INTO Improvement_YieldChanges (ImprovementType, YieldType, YieldChange) VALUES ('IMPROVEMENT_FISHING_BOATS', 'YIELD_PRODUCTION', 0);
INSERT INTO Improvement_BonusYieldChanges (Id, ImprovementType, YieldType, BonusYieldChange, PrereqTech) VALUES (22, 'IMPROVEMENT_FISHING_BOATS', 'YIELD_PRODUCTION', 1, 'TECH_MASS_PRODUCTION');
You should also change the pantheon belief that gives +1 production to fishing boats otherwise this pantheon would be to strong. Give the production only to fishing boats on bonus or luxury resources. There's is a similar code for the pantheon that gives faith for mines on bonus and luxuries so I think it's not hard to do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom