1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mod Component Requests Thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Mod Components' started by Thunderfall, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Purest Warrior

Purest Warrior Warlord

I'd like to see something done about that espionage screen:
    - A tally of how many points are being spent by other civs against me (to be able to counter it).
    - The option to distribute evenly the surplus points from new espionage buildings/spies.

I'm already using Almightix' Better Espionage Screen, which is very nice (although I get some error messages), but it does nothing except cramming the leader heads together.

PW

2. mravioli

mravioli Chieftain

is there a siege tower unit that stays at your borders with high Field of Vision?

3. MusX

MusX Prince

I'm pretty sure there is one like this but I can't find it.

Mod which allow human player capitulate to AI

4. GIR

GIR It'sNotStupidIt'sAdvanced

i don't get it.
    what do you want?

5. Giaur

Giaur War Dancer

Hi!

I am gonna change expansive trait. My wish is to give it another name (productive) and give it bonus:
    +1 hammer from water tiles

The question is - do I have to reach for C++ or this simple change can be done from XML files?

Thanks ...

6. mravioli

mravioli Chieftain

a siege tower like in civ 3...

7. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

Giaur, you can do that already because of the financial trait, if you know what I mean.

8. Giaur

Giaur War Dancer

@snipperrabbit:

Code:
    		<TraitInfo>
    			<Type>TRAIT_FINANCIAL</Type>
    			<Description>TXT_KEY_TRAIT_FINANCIAL</Description>
    			<ShortDescription>TXT_KEY_TRAIT_FINANCIAL_SHORT</ShortDescription>
    			<iHealth>0</iHealth>
    			<iMaxAnarchy>-1</iMaxAnarchy>
    			<iUpkeepModifier>0</iUpkeepModifier>
    			<iGreatPeopleRateModifier>0</iGreatPeopleRateModifier>
    			<iMaxGlobalBuildingProductionModifier>0</iMaxGlobalBuildingProductionModifier>
    			<iMaxTeamBuildingProductionModifier>0</iMaxTeamBuildingProductionModifier>
    			<iMaxPlayerBuildingProductionModifier>0</iMaxPlayerBuildingProductionModifier>
    			<ExtraYieldThresholds>
    				<iExtraYieldThreshold>0</iExtraYieldThreshold>
    				<iExtraYieldThreshold>0</iExtraYieldThreshold>
    				<iExtraYieldThreshold>2</iExtraYieldThreshold>
    			</ExtraYieldThresholds>
    			<TradeYieldModifiers/>
    			<CommerceChanges/>
    			<CommerceModifiers/>
    			<FreePromotions/>
    			<FreePromotionUnitCombats/>
    		</TraitInfo>
    From CivTraitInfos.Xml

I am not lame in programming, but I am lame in XML, cause I never needed it before.

There is entry here: <ExtraYieldThresholds>, but it rather cannot be used for my purposes. So my question is: Has XML an option to create new entries (I suppose so)? And should I use for it Schema.XML files?
    Is it possible to create new entry in this particular case (I guess it also demands creating new entries in some other XML files) without being forced to change core file?

Some example for new entry would be very helpful ...

9. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

Excuse me, I missed you only want water tiles. That make your goal harder to achieve but there are already the mechanichs available for buildings like the lighthouse. You need to apply this code to traits then recompile, upgrade your schema, add tags to all traits and use the number you want in the new productive trait.
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, sometimes I reply too quickly.

10. Auberon

Auberon Chieftain

Sorry, I did not knew there was a specific thread for mod component requests so I already posted something in the BtS forum.

I would like to disable the fact that troops can not use roads in ennemy territory (to the exception of units like animals of course). As far as I am concerned this is a stupid feature (my opinion only) that is repetitively spoiling my games. That makes war too long and (IMO again) this kind of features has nothing to do in a grand strategy game like Civ4.

Until now, I gave the COMMANDO promotion to each unit in the CIV4UnitInfos.xml file but I am a bit fed up with starting all the work again with each patch or add-on modifying the said file. Besides that units in the scenario are more difficult to change than the ones in the "basic" game.

Does someone know and easier way to disable this "feature" ?

11. orinsul

orinsul Warlord

Random events tweak?
    which causes random events either every 5 turns or something like it. But still doesnt change the naural course of random events, so that slave revolts can continue if mishandled and the possibilty of a random even on any other turn does dissapear.
    or else, a key-combination with forces a random event to occour next turn for all players. perhaps something like ctrl-shift-e or something, dont know if that does anything currently.
    Im sure this has already been discussed but searching random events doesnt bring up a feasibly helpfull list.

12. dvemin

dvemin Chieftain

here are some of my ideas which I tried to implement in the past in Python .. got stuck with saving this stuff to the savegame , also had some other urgent things so I dropped it :)

The Freighters.
    1. hammer freighters, they represent a hired work force that are transferred from one city to another for performing various jobs. Can be built in one city and moved to another city, to be unloaded there for a fraction of hammers used to build them, which are added to the current project.
    To make this less cheesy, make ancient freights very inefficient. Also the longer the freight is being moved to destination, the less hammers survive the trip. In essence, each turns the worth of any freights still in game decreases by some percentage.

As you see, the efficiency of this kind of hammer transfer depends heavily on the distance to the destination city AND the quality of transportation system of your empire, which is IMO pretty realistic.

2. Food freights. Represents the ability to import food reserves to the city if it starves etc. This is tricky as you can't build with ONLY food, hammers also count.
    This is why this unit works like this -
    You build a "food freight" unit in some city. It is built like workers/settlers or like the usual unit, does not matter. It's relatively cheap.
    The unit has following commands -
    Load food - this subtracts food from the granary of a city it is located at, loading itself. After this it works the same as hammers freight - its stored food decreases each turn etc.
    When the freight arrives to destination city, it can perform Unload action which moves food from freight to the granary. You can't fill granary over its max capacity, the rest of food is wasted (or maybe it stays in the freight if you like). The freight itself may or may not be removed from game by this action.
    Again, the speed of food decline depends on the era and techs (f.ex. with refrigeration freights last longer).

Some might argue that it's a bit unrealistic to be able to instantly transfer vast amounts of food stored in granary, as the granary is just an abstraction for natural city growth. So maybe this needs some tricky scheme to load a freight. For example - there should be a special treatment of the command "Sentry" for a food freight (heck, maybe for hammers too). When the food freight is "sentried" in a city, city's food surplus is added to this freight instead of granary, with some limit. If the limit is reached, freight is waken instead of being filled. While being filled, freighter food reserves do not decrease. However freighter can be filled only once after being fully unloaded or built, which is easy to take care of with additional attribute tied to a unit.

These two are relatively easy to implement - using some Python coding plus storing of the special attribute associated with each unit, which can be stored in simple Python table. The tricky part is how to save this table with saved game .. (I am sure this is now easily solvable though, am I right?)

3. Permanent resource trading. This was in civ2 I think ..
    basically you remove some amount of resource income from one city and add this amount (or a little less) to another one. each resoource route should cost money to maintain each turn, which is more if the source and destination is farther. It's trickier to implement than regular freights described above though.

And of course it's going to be a nightmare teaching AI to use these things :)

13. Fanatic Demon

Fanatic Demon Student in Wizardry

I agree, the default movement restriction is much to hash, however giving hostile units equal movement is too much and unbalanced, it would be fairer if enemy units can use 66% of the speed of roads and 50% of the speed railroads offers. That way, enemy units can move with speed of 2 over roads and 4 over railroads.

Since this is something I want too, I promise I will look into it. ;)

14. Auberon

Auberon Chieftain

I agree with you, giving 100% in ennemy territory is perhaps too much. 66% sounds right but is certainly more difficult to implement.

Would it be possible, to begin with, to add the following command line to a unit in CIV4UnitInfos.xml

<bEnemyRoute>0</bEnemyRoute>

I know it did not worked in the vanilla game... though I should rather say that I did not know how to make it work. :crazyeye:

15. Fanatic Demon

I agree, an entertainer should not add additional gold, since as a whole, entertainers only cost money. However, I agree entertainer should generate culture. They defnietly add to the culture of an civilisation

16. Fanatic Demon

I get the impression that the Civ4 developers simply nerver implemented this feature. Why else would there be an Xml element which is not implemented in the code? :confused:

17. Fanatic Demon

Interesting Idea. We could implement this by classifying each civilisation into culture class.

We could have the following culture classes:

African (Zulu, Egypt, Ethiopia, cartage etc)
    America (Inca, Maya, Indian)
    North European(England, Germany, France, Dutch, Norwegian, Russia))
    South European (Spain, Portugal, Roman, Greek etc)
    Middle East (Persia, Arabs, Sumerians)
    Asia (China, Korea, Japan, Mongols, etc)

18. Panjandrum

Panjandrum Chieftain

I would like to be able to forbid the construction of buildings and units if the player has a state religion. I can see there are many ways to restrict construction when there is no state religion present, but no obvious way to forbid civs with a state religion (any state religion) from building certain units or buildings.

19. orinsul

orinsul Warlord

i worked out how to do my request by editing the erainfos. so i withdraw it

The frieghters request sounds like supply units in SMAC

20. johny smith

johny smith Deity

I really don't know a lick of script, nor do I have access to Visual Studio so I figured I would throw this up here. I would like a dll that would be have factions for civilizations that are customizable like in the Fall from Heaven mods, but also with option added for religions and possibly corporations. For an example if you have many Christian denominations for religions each would be part of the Christian faction so when you choose say Protestantism instead of just receiving the religion icon you would also receive the label Christian faction.

On the diplomacy text you would have the word Christian instead of good, neutral, or evil like in Fall from Heaven. Then you would receive penalties or bonuses for your faction and for your religion. I also would like that these factions could be used to choose civics. Theocracy for an example would be for the Christian faction instead of just Protestantism. Maybe I don't understand exactly how complicated it is, but it seems to me it would possibly. Anyway if someone is interested I wanted to use it with what I was working on. Thanks ahead of time for your interest. Here is a link on 47 religions icons that I have created.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=240440