Mod Dependency Issues with VP 2.0

Recursive

Already Looping
Supporter
The 2.0 version of Vox Populi, due to The Great Merge, will create some temporary compatibility issues with some modmods.

For modmodders: I suggest using (2) Vox Populi as a dependency if your mod requires the full VP package to function, and (3a) EUI Compatibility Files if the changes from our custom version of EUI are required by your mod as well.

Members of the VP community, post here if any modmods for VP are broken due to these dependency issues, and we will upload a fixed version if the original creator is not present.

Check to make sure the issue hasn't already been reported before posting here, please.

Thank you!

Note: A lot of mods are updated by the authors and community (thanks @adan_eslavo) , be sure to check the Mods Repository for the newest versions.

A quick guide to handling dependency issues

a) Use pre-fixed modinfo files
If you are using any of the mods listed below, download and extract the attached MODS_pre_fixed.zip, copy the folders of the mods you are using, paste them into
"C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS", overwrite when asked. You only need to do this once.

Wonder Planner for VP // Updated, get the latest version in Mods Repository
Trade Opportunities for VP // Updated, get the latest version in Mods Repository
Better Lakes for Vox Populi // UPDATED: Get it here instead
Maritime Battles+
Mc and LITE's Nubia for VP
Promotion Flags EUI for VP // Or download the new-ish version here
Improved City View for VP
Even More Resources
Religion Spread for VP
Unique City-States // Updated, get the latest version in Mods Repository
Bare Necessities // Updated here
Community Events
World Congress Reformation

See here for Enginseer's CBP Events&Decisions and Civics and Reform

b) Fix dependency issues yourself

1. Go to the mod's folder (in "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS")
2. Open the modinfo file with Notepad (right-click, select Open with, find Notepad on the list). If you don't have file extensions visible, the modinfo file should have the mod's name, and usually a blank icon.
dep1.jpg

- If Community Balance Overhaul or Vox Populi is listed under Dependencies (name/title does not matter as long as the "Mod id" is "8411a7a8-dad3-4622-a18e-fcc18324c799")
3. Remove the rows of submods (i.e. CSD, C4DF, More Luxuries), save the file.

dep2.jpg

- If CBO or Vox Populi is NOT listed, but one of submods is listed
3. Replace the submod's row with the line below. If there are more than one submods, replace one and remove the others.

<Mod id="8411a7a8-dad3-4622-a18e-fcc18324c799" minversion="0" maxversion="999" title="(2) Vox Populi" />

dep3.jpg

4. Report the mod to me and I'll upload a fixed version on the forum. You can also list any of the lingering bugs&issues, which I may or may not be able to fix

You only need to do this once. Submods listed under references do not need to be changed.

c) Use shallow versions of merged submods, keep on clicking

Download the attached empty_compatibility_folders.zip, extract it to "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS". Activate mods as usual

Attachments

• empty_compatibility_folders.zip
    12.3 KB · Views: 146
  • MODS_pre-fixed.zip
    35.2 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
So..this dependencies files is just for update the dependencies from new version. Doesnt mean the mods are compatible, right?

So..this dependencies files is just for update the dependencies from new version. Doesnt mean the mods are compatible, right?

Yes! This is why modmod was being discussed a lot recently after AR left as new patches can break them in different ways and thus make them incompatible.

If the mod was working fine before, dependency fix is all that's needed for 2.0 compatibility. Almost all mods in that list were either reported to be working or I personally tested. Maritime Battles is an exception, I just had that around.

Very small percentage of mods refer to the defunct modularity options in the Community table. Those options were getting gradually removed and by 1.3 that clean-up was complete. So if a mod requires more than a dependency fix, it was already broken. The only major compatibility issue so far was with Unique City States, and that was due to a dll issue unrelated to merging of submods.

Bare Necessities from your updated dependency list doesn't work. The game freezes and this is what I found in the lua logs:

[127960.500] Runtime Error: C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Vox Populi's Bare Necessities (v 5)\RecallAll.lua:14: attempt to index local 'pCity' (a nil value)

Very small percentage of mods refer to the defunct modularity options in the Community table. Those options were getting gradually removed and by 1.3 that clean-up was complete. So if a mod requires more than a dependency fix, it was already broken. The only major compatibility issue so far was with Unique City States, and that was due to a dll issue unrelated to merging of submods.
What lines should I scan for in my mod folder to find submods that might be affected by this (modularity options in community table)?

What lines should I scan for in my mod folder to find submods that might be affected by this (modularity options in community table)?

Look for things like AND EXISTS ( SELECT * FROM Community....) , and WHERE EXISTS (SELECT * FROM Community in sql files

Bare Necessities from your updated dependency list doesn't work. The game freezes and this is what I found in the lua logs:

[127960.500] Runtime Error: C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Vox Populi's Bare Necessities (v 5)\RecallAll.lua:14: attempt to index local 'pCity' (a nil value)

Works fine for me

Last edited:
Hello peoples,
Finally created an account after browsing these forums for years. I just recently started using VP and it's amazing, thank you to all the mods/devs etc for your hard work, I can't believe what I've been missing.

I'm trying to run a couple mods with VP that aren't working with the 2.0 patch, the Contextual Unit Names mod and a few JFD's Civs (currently JFD's Hitler as I'm trying to play WW2 scenario). I think the Contextual Unit Names mod might be quite old and because in the screenshots on the steam workshop it uses a drop down menu that was removed (I think w BNW??)

JFD's Germany mod simply won't show up in the civs list. In earlier versions it was playable however you were forced to go Order to make the Panzer as for some reason it replaced the T-34 not the Tank in VP.

How would I go about getting these mods to work? I haven't done any Civ V modding so not entirely sure where to even look, would I just have to change a few lines of code or is it more complex?

Any guidance from the modmodder humans would be tremendously appreciated, thanks again for all the awesome work done here and help over the years.

Edit: I'm not a N4zi, I thought it would be cool to recreate Man in the High Castle after I saw Imperial Japan was compatible

Last edited:
Community Events & World Congress Reformation only require dependency fixes for VP 2.0.x. Civic and Reform doesn't have dependency issues, but I spotted one line related to old sweeps. Same goes for CBP Events and Decisions. Note that people reported issues with them (and most of enginseer mods sadly) before VP 2.0, so those will remain.

Attachments

• Civic And Reform (v 12).zip
    4.9 KB · Views: 176
  • (8) Events and Decisions (CBO) (v 14).zip
    7.1 KB · Views: 277
Note: A lot of mods are updated by the authors and community (thanks @adan_eslavo) , be sure to check the Mods Repository for the newest versions.

A quick guide to handling dependency issues

a) Use pre-fixed modinfo files
If you are using any of the mods listed below, download and extract the attached MODS_pre_fixed.zip, copy the folders of the mods you are using, paste them into
"C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS", overwrite when asked. You only need to do this once.

Wonder Planner for VP // Updated, get the latest version in Mods Repository
Trade Opportunities for VP // Updated, get the latest version in Mods Repository
Better Lakes for Vox Populi // UPDATED: Get it here instead
Maritime Battles+
Mc and LITE's Nubia for VP
Promotion Flags EUI for VP // Or download the new-ish version here
Improved City View for VP
Even More Resources
Religion Spread for VP
Unique City-States // Updated, get the latest version in Mods Repository
Bare Necessities // Updated here
Community Events
World Congress Reformation

See here for Enginseer's CBP Events&Decisions and Civics and Reform

b) Fix dependency issues yourself

1. Go to the mod's folder (in "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS")
2. Open the modinfo file with Notepad (right-click, select Open with, find Notepad on the list). If you don't have file extensions visible, the modinfo file should have the mod's name, and usually a blank icon.
View attachment 623538

- If Community Balance Overhaul or Vox Populi is listed under Dependencies (name/title does not matter as long as the "Mod id" is "8411a7a8-dad3-4622-a18e-fcc18324c799")
3. Remove the rows of submods (i.e. CSD, C4DF, More Luxuries), save the file.

View attachment 623539

- If CBO or Vox Populi is NOT listed, but one of submods is listed
3. Replace the submod's row with the line below. If there are more than one submods, replace one and remove the others.

<Mod id="8411a7a8-dad3-4622-a18e-fcc18324c799" minversion="0" maxversion="999" title="(2) Vox Populi" />

View attachment 623540
4. Report the mod to me and I'll upload a fixed version on the forum. You can also list any of the lingering bugs&issues, which I may or may not be able to fix

You only need to do this once. Submods listed under references do not need to be changed.

c) Use shallow versions of merged submods, keep on clicking

Download the attached empty_compatibility_folders.zip, extract it to "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS". Activate mods as usual

The slightly crooked notepad window in this post breaks my feeble mind.

G

The slightly crooked notepad window in this post breaks my feeble mind.

G

Totally intentional, it's all part of my treacherous plan to slowly drive VP community to insanity.

Hello, has anyone ever experienced a bug where the AI won't enter your borders during war? They will attack but only from outside your territory.

It's hard to tell exactly what is at fault b/c a have quite a few mods active but I thought I might as well try and see if anyone here has an idea what could be at fault, I will happily try and isolate the issue with some help.

EDIT: I managed to get the AI (Greece) to move a unit into my territory and engage one of my vulnerable units but the AI is acting extremely passive. I am playing on Prince.

I'm running a game with

- VP v2.0.1 (43 civ EUI)
- More Unique Components v76
- Enlightenment Era for VP v4,
- More Luxuries v156,
- Community Events v5,
- (9a) Enhanced Air Warfare for VP v1,
- (9d) Reforestation 4VP (VM 2.0) v8
- Capture+++ v5,
- info Addict v22,
- Quick Turns v10
- VP Bare Necessities v5,
- More Music v2,

Map mods

- Krakatoa Fix v100,
- Techtonic Map Script v4,
- Better Lakes for VP v2

And a bunch of UI quality of life improvements

Promotions Flag EUI for VP v3,
List Enhancements UI v6,
Trade Opportunites v12,
World Wonder Planer v10,
Camera Rotation WASD Controles (BNW) v2,
City Limits v7,
Extended Recourse Display v4,
Improved City View v11,
UI - Religion Spread V1,
UI - Show Military XP in overview,
Wonder Race v7,

Last edited:
@balparmak can you look at this when/if you have time? Thank you.

I went over the UI files to make them compatible, but that mod (meaning the version that was supposed to work with VP) was pretty much broken loooong before 2.0. You can try these, but I can't guarantee they'll work. https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...th-vox-populi-vp.542679/page-48#post-16255427

Hello, has anyone ever experienced a bug where the AI won't enter your borders during war? They will attack but only from outside your territory.

It's hard to tell exactly what is at fault b/c a have quite a few mods active but I thought I might as well try and see if anyone here has an idea what could be at fault, I will happily try and isolate the issue with some help.

EDIT: I managed to get the AI (Greece) to move a unit into my territory and engage one of my vulnerable units but the AI is acting extremely passive. I am playing on Prince.

I'm running a game with

- VP v2.0.1 (43 civ EUI)
- More Unique Components v76
- Enlightenment Era for VP v4,
- More Luxuries v156,
- Community Events v5,
- (9a) Enhanced Air Warfare for VP v1,
- (9d) Reforestation 4VP (VM 2.0) v8
- Capture+++ v5,
- info Addict v22,
- Quick Turns v10
- VP Bare Necessities v5,
- More Music v2,

There are some outdated mods, but honestly I'm not seeing anything that would affect AI logic there. Btw you shouldn't use More Luxuries with VP, that's already included.

IIRC this mod has been broken for a long time, even Enginseer's other mods do not work with this. I'll try to take a look when I have the time though

Last edited:
Top Bottom