[MOD] Fall from Heaven II

have read forum and didn't see this idea there, so.

You have done great job making Armageddon something fearsome and dread,
but it still doesn't affect game as strong as it should.
Especially when all barbarians are wiped out and have no free space to spawn.

That's the idea: when the arm. counter become rather big, about 50, planar rifts (similar to Sheim summoning circles) start popping around the word.
Planar rift is simular to ruins in early game: spawning horrible creatures (more horrible when arm. counter grow, standard summoned creatures could be used, but now they come by there will)
But somewhat different, It could appear anywhere (except of course city, mountain and ocean(maybe ocean rift could spawn horrible see creatures?) It destroys all improvements(not recourses of course). And it doesn't have monster guardian, player must destroy rift by confronting rifts dread energies. It could be done by playing over rift unit named maybe "planar rift power" with no visualization or maybe some sparks and so on. This unit have mark of rag. on start (you see arm. starts growing by itself, be careful!), move = 0, defensive (could only defend like elephant), stigmata (grows in power with arm.), rift promotion (marking it as non living and rift unit). Also it should have good strength, making it hard to destroy and may be some other nasty promotions growing with arm. counter.

It spawns out of depth monsters (standard summons mostly, but not for one turn of course =) ). Monsters starts with mark of rag., barbarian, hidden nationality, stigmata and rift(they are planar monsters which come to scavenge over dying word). so killing them and closing rifts is important to prevent arm.

And also rifts stops spawning creatures when arm. counter lowers to 35 (for example) and vanquished at 20.
All other creatures marked with rift promotion (who feeds from arm. powers) becomes weaker when arm counter falls to 35 (for example) and vanquish at 20.

It doesn't mean that rifts couldn't reopen when counter grows again.

And also when counter grows over 90 all rifts stars to spawn more creatures and all rifts creatures become more deadly (maybe gains enraged promotion from feeling the end of the word).

well. thats the idea, please don't kick to hard. :mischief:

I like that idea... would need balancing and i dont know if it would work (not being a techy person) but it sounds good.

I like that idea... would need balancing and i dont know if it would work (not being a techy person) but it sounds good.

well, i wasn't coding civ4 scripts, but what I think:

need to be done: rift model (maybe ocean see model, but I think it (ocen rift) would be somewhat unbalanced).
2 new promotions (at least)
"rift" - mark rift units, allows to identify them among others and allows to add script for them witch let them to be not involved in some word events (for example they wouldn't die in Armageddon).
"weak power" (or something) - adds to all Rift units when Counter is to low.

no need in making special scripts for rift and its guardian.
It would be like standard lair and unit over it.

I just wanted to say thanks to the team behind this mod. Wow! This is awesome. It's the best mod for CIV4 (by and large, the best game I've ever played in the CIV genre).

I don't know where to start as regards the praise. Here are several features that knocked off my socks... The vastness of game features, gaming styles, and graphic sophistication are striking. Hard to get bored here. I could not exceed the tech tree, regardless of the game length. That's pretty unusual. The theme and flavor are perfect (although I'm sure some copyright issues might raise a few eyebrows ;)) Basically, I had a lot of fun for many different reasons! At this point I can't think of any better way to play CIV other than FfH.

On the neg side is the usual complaint about the AI -- as with all other CIV games. I ran the FfH mod with the Terra map. The biggest issue I encountered is the lack of logic/strategy as regards the way the AI expands its cities on available overseas territories. The AI created all of its new cities on tiny islands with no resource, and in all cases, no combat units garrisoned any of them. Combat was OK as far as the expected AI behavior was concerned.

Thanks again for an awesome work!

I just wanted to say thanks to the team behind this mod. Wow! This is awesome. It's the best mod for CIV4 (by and large, the best game I've ever played in the CIV genre).

I don't know where to start as regards the praise. Here are several features that knocked off my socks... The vastness of game features, gaming styles, and graphic sophistication are striking. Hard to get bored here. I could not exceed the tech tree, regardless of the game length. That's pretty unusual. The theme and flavor are perfect (although I'm sure some copyright issues might raise a few eyebrows ;)) Basically, I had a lot of fun for many different reasons! At this point I can't think of any better way to play CIV other than FfH.

On the neg side is the usual complaint about the AI -- as with all other CIV games. I ran the FfH mod with the Terra map. The biggest issue I encountered is the lack of logic/strategy as regards the way the AI expands its cities on available overseas territories. The AI created all of its new cities on tiny islands with no resource, and in all cases, no combat units garrisoned any of them. Combat was OK as far as the expected AI behavior was concerned.

Thanks again for an awesome work!

hope you will try the BtS version, once Shadow is out, there was a huge effort, to make the most out of the AI to that point (I am sure it will improve further in future).
enjoy!

hope you will try the BtS version, once Shadow is out, there was a huge effort, to make the most out of the AI to that point (I am sure it will improve further in future).
enjoy!

Of course! I'm looking forward to that.

I haven't read the hundreds of posts, so please pardon me for asking (I'm sure this comes up a lot). When is the approximate timetable for the release of the BtS adaptation?

I haven't read the hundreds of posts, so please pardon me for asking (I'm sure this comes up a lot). When is the approximate timetable for the release of the BtS adaptation?

The first version of Shadow, I think, will be released about a week after Firaxis makes available it's next patch, whenever that is. :crazyeye:

It will be version 0.25 and I have it all ready to go. Unfortunatly it requires BtS patch .13 to play so I will be able to release it as soon as .13 is available.

The first version of "Shadow" will take a bit longer. We have a lot of stuff to make for that. But while we are waiting for BtS patch .13 to be released I've been adding some "Shadow" features into 0.25. So its kinda good that the patch is taking a bit longer than expected, because of it you guys will have new things to play with in 0.25.

can you say what you put from shadow in 0.25 for those that are still in the process of getting bts?

Personally, I think the idea about the dimensional rift whatnot thingy sounded not at all that bad. It would obviously need a heck of a lot of balancing, but the idea in itself could be interesting. I'm all for the general "In Your Face" doom of Armageddon, so I wouldn't mind having it spawn nastiness to deal with now and then. But hey, that's just me. :mischief:

To be honest, it sounds like it'd have significant overlap with the Hellfire Armageddon event.

Glad to see someone else noticed it... I was afraid to be the first one to write about it :blush: ... but it does have some features added to the hellfire effect it would seem...although only an idea as of yet.

I wouldn't mind hellfire becoming just a subcategory of dimensional rift. You could have one type of rift for each mana type that has an associated plane (so, no spirit, mind, body, etc); hellfire would simply be a Entropy-plane rift.

Also, I think that a (perhaps Dimensional III) spell (to be used mostly by the Sheaim, but also maybe Infernals) that open up rifts would make a nice addition. (I'm not opposed to the idea of a minimum AC required for the spell to be used if this is too powerful) There should be a chance that the creatures the rifts creates should follow the rift's maker and a chance they will be barbs. (perhaps they should be barbs when the rift tile is unoccupied, but belong to the civ that summoned them if the caster who made the rift is still on the tile. To make it a little more risky, they could start with the enraged or crazed promotion, so you wouldn't keep control of them forever.

Yes, planar rift need less coding, but more balancing work. Hey, but it could make gameplay more unpredictable, especially in later game.

Yep, another thing, which troubles me, when I am playing FFH2:
Land is mostly completely occupied even in midgame, so poor Infernals (if you wouldn’t rush to tech, which summons them from the very beginning of the game) must start in a small plot of the land, completely surrounded by powerful adversary and staying this way most of the later game.

So, what I am speaking about. It would be rather difficult to find free place in the game for awaking of Ancients. Yes, they would come in to play as aggressive power, but still need some starting point. Ideas of giving city to new race and summoning new player by researching tech were already used for Infernals and Angels.
I think that awaking of Ancients shouldn’t be manipulated (mostly) by single player (researching tech or building wonder). But letting Ancient to come into play randomly or by timer would be bad idea. Ancients and there worshipers are Really powerful and fearsome, but not overwhelming of course. So if they come into play to early they would easily destroy everybody and would ruin the gameplay. The same think could occur if they would come in end-game and would be easy pray for strong players (like later infernals).

What the idea: game should check a middle tech level in the word and adds Ancients (or somebody else) when special level would be reach. Some players would be stronger, someone weaker (keep your tech level up to date, mate! ;-) ), but newcomers would be challenging, but not uberpower . As I knew, there is tech level score for every player (we need only living ones of course ;) ). It should look something like this:

For example we decide that Ancients would awake when middle tech level of all alive players would reach 40.

Than every turn game would check : middle tech level = Tech_Score_of_Player1+ Tech_Score_of_Player2+ Tech_Score_of_Player3+…/ quantity of still breathing players.

And when middle tech level fits 40, whooo-haaa: “Who need some Dragons? They are big, strong and nasty!”.

Second trouble, as I said is free land limitation. How new players could even start without being like poor infernal in there reservation?
I think of two ways:
1. Hard one. Dragons simply erupt a land mass in the ocean for there followers witch they use like base for operations. Dunno. It could come in conflict with map and could real pain in the… Dragon to be done.

The Second is floating city as a naval base. Hey, I understand that making Real naval city would be difficult and even if it would be done It would ruin al balance and basic land concepts.
Of course not, Floating Cities would nothing but special units (like that nasty ship which spawns skeletons, GRrrr.. I hate It ;) )

Also it wouldn’t require lot of remodeling: simply model of big, very big Turtle with city model on its back, that’s all.
But why turtles? We speak of Dragons, right?
Well, this idea could be used not for the Dragons but…

Dragons are going to act like gods, and they power similar or even more the most of so named gods have. And they wouldn't come into play by themselves, maybe only some hatchlings as Immortals ;)

History of “Cult of Dragon” and ancient orcs, well, maybe part of this cult, worshiping Ancients.

When the Age of Ice fall over the word some elves and one clan of orcs, who were not corrupter by fall of there god (Special story needed about this, also It could help to use “orc” and “elf” models with minimal rework ;) ), had tried to find new “candyland” with no frozen madness (they didn’t know that Age of Ice didn’t spare anything in the word.) But during there sail they had come (what a luck!) to completely frozen island at one of the poles. They were about to die from frost and starvation, but scouts found cavern, rather strange looking. When they sneaked into they found really huge and big, even for dragons, ancient Dragon. Dragon could provide enough food for them for unlimited time, but Dragon awake! During the Age of Ice! This Dragon wasn’t only big and enormously strong in magic and brute force (our small red hord keeper are weakling, if want to compare), but (place name here) he was one of the brightest of the dragons. He didn’t kill the invaders in his lair, but spokes with them, helped them to survive, taught them how to tame great sea beasts. For this, he need them like worshipers and followers, his instruments to manipulate the word.
Why he need this weak (for dragon of course) creatures, rather simple. Dragons are magical creatures, so they magic to sustain there body, but not simple food (simply there would not be enough food in the word to feed them). So as more links to elemental planes Dragon controls, more powerful It becomes. But it rather difficult (and more important(!) unwise and not safe) to fly over lands, capture mana nods, confronting beasts, more elegant solution is use followers in exchange of part of Dragons power and knowledge
When Age of Ice finished Ancient Dragon (place name here) starts preparation for his return. His followers was building cites on big beasts, forging weapons, learning magic from there master. They would come and claim mana nodes for there master. (they would be aggressive to everybody who have mana nodes) Dragon would come into play, but would act like leader of faction from his frozen lair.
When they come into play, some floating cites (quantity depends on word size) appears in the ocean. They act like strong transports, carrying troops, settlers, scouts and so on. Also floating city must have ability to come to soil and found city (already rather big with some buildings).

Well, that’s the idea. Please don’t kick to hard. :mischief:

What about making it so the 3 dragons can fly across the ocean and such all 3 of them has wings.

What about making it so the 3 dragons can fly across the ocean and such all 3 of them has wings.

That right, but the essence idea of FFtH2 is that Dragons are power equal to the so named gods (angels as they are). They are Really powerful and smart simply to fly everywhere and kick somebody's ..:mischief:
They are masters and Gods, but not footsolders.
So I was always thinking that Asheron the Red is the weakest of the Dragons :crazyeye: .

Yes, dragons really should start with the Flying Promotion (in the BtS versions). I actually already gave the flying promotions to pretty much any unit that obviously has wings (including several planar gate creatures, Hyborem, the dragons, Sphener/Madero, angels, etc). Oceans are nothing to the dragons (and don't really slow the Infernals or Mercurians down much either)

Top Bottom