[MOD] FexFX - Bigger & Longer

Oh there will be new units, however I think the new units will have to wait on the SDK...I want to avoid reskinning...

I know I am putting in the Biplane...mostly because its already there!

Top of the list of things I wish I had is a mounted spearman!

Something other than the archer that is mounted for the ages before the knight.

FexFX said:
Oh there will be new units, however I think the new units will have to wait on the SDK...I want to avoid reskinning...

I know I am putting in the Biplane...mostly because its already there!

Top of the list of things I wish I had is a mounted spearman!

Something other than the archer that is mounted for the ages before the knight.

FexFX,

I meant it could be a good idea to use old graphics with new stats.

With regard to CIV III 4-6 individuals make 95%
of the unit-graphics.
What I have understand its much more complicated and time-consuming
to make units for CIV IV.
Thus its possible it will take 8-12 months before there will be custom
units for CIV IV in any number.

Rocoteh

Ah, but I have decent skillz in the realm of 3d graphics...once the SDK is released I plan to go at it like a mad dog...

As to "new" units as you describe them...There will be a few incremental units like that...not many tho as too many = cheesy.

I currently have 31 planned techs, 2 I am pondering, and most of the early tech chart is going to be changed. Most of this is simply thinning with a few new items...

The New stuff I will add once I have the whole new tech chart planned...Then the question of what new items I can add will come in to play!

It's good to see that creative minds are already making modifications to this great game, good work. :goodjob: I have a few question though.

Is this the type of mod where you can build all (or most) buildings in each city or do you have to choose between the various buildings because there is no time to build them all?

The AI seems to build much more units in this mod according to the reports. How does the AI handle the upkeep costs? In civ3, the AI could build so many units that it would effectively bankrupt itself and research would almost come to a halt. This would especially be true for AI that got isolated on a small island (not a lot of progress in research when an AI got isolated) and had huge construction bonuses (high difficulty level). How does the Civ4 AI handle itself in this mod in this respect?

It could be that you cannot completely answer these questions as the mod is just released. But any insight might be valuable. Thank you in advance.

FexFX, I'd like lots of little buildings and techs to get away from the 50-100 turn buildings/techs. Mylon mod has broken down the courthouse and added some aqueducts which show what I mean. You can reduce the cost and add in supplementary buildings to the vanilla ones, so that you get a similar effect over a similar amount of time, but in smaller chunks.

I like long games, alot, but I don't much care for my workers, cities, etc. to be locked into projects that take so long.

Roland Johnson: I do now have an answer to your bankruptcy question...I myself have not played late enoguh to be certain! I have been too busy working on my old mod to truely complete a game of my old mod! Heh...
However, the production rate is only increased by 1/6 or 1/5 depending on the speed so that is only 18-20% more upkeep at most...I am unsure how that will affect the AI in late game but as of 700BC (latest I got a chance to play on FX-Grand with FX-Huge) things seemed fine! I am waiting for response form others to see what the news is on the long haul.

I can always re-balance it if need be

AGRAZA: This is exactly the path I am taking at first...
I would like to see techs take no more than double standard time...this means some techs may take as long as 70 or 80 turns to complete. However the game span will be much longer than double so this is actually relatively SHORTER than normal time between techs...relatively speaking.
Each tech will make something small available...
Techs which once made available 3 things will likely only grant one. Some new techs will offer new things which become necessary for old things...for example you need to build a BoatWright in order to build boats...

Ok, thank you a lot for answering my questions so quickly. I will come back here in a while and try your mod, but I'm going to play the original game a few times first as I haven't played it enough to start playing mods. It sounds like a good mod though.

I read that you were planning to make some very lengthy mods. While I understand the attractiveness of this type of game, I'm not sure that it will work for the basic civ-game. There's a problem with the speed of units. You can't make units significantly slower then they're now and that means that unit movement and thus eventually exploration and conquest will happen in a similar number of turns as in the basic game (slowed a bit because of longer building times). You might see games that are finished in 3000BC (for the 6050 turn, 1 turn = 1 year, mod).

I would think about this problem very carefully before you do all the work required to make a supermod that doesn't work as you would have liked.

Good luck with any further mods and any further development on this one. I'll come back in a while when I start playing mods.

It has come to my attention that the FX-Huge map size will NOT work with the TERRA Map Script HOWEVER...THE DEFAULT HUGE TERRA MAP IS ALREADY BIGGER THAN FX-HUGE!!!! HUGE TERRA is 38x24. FX-HUGE IS ONLY 36x23!!! SO JUST PLAY HUGE TERA!!!

Further investigation has led me to believe the following map types will also have trouble with FX-Huge...
Great Plains
Highlands
Hub
Ice Age
Inland Sea
Lakes
Maze
Mirror
Oasis
Pangea
Ring
Team_Battleground
Terra
Tilted Axis
Wheel

Because of this I will be releasing an add on to Bigger& Longer to repair all of these map types including Terra to offer larger sizes for all of them! Look for this soon!

A Poster At Apolyton has reported that With my increased game speeds Great People no longer grant techs properly!:blush:

Can anyone verify this?:confused:

Nothing I changed should have affected this!:mad:

I never use Great people for techs so I just dont know from experience if this is true...

I'd be interested in knowing if any of the other speed mods are having this problem!

I know that a great scientist doesn't grant a late technology in the original game, but just gives a certain amount of technology points. It could be that because the technology costs were increased that the standard amount of research points granted by a great scientist are not sufficient to even research an early technology.

FexFX said:
Ah, but I have decent skillz in the realm of 3d graphics...once the SDK is released I plan to go at it like a mad dog...

As to "new" units as you describe them...There will be a few incremental units like that...not many tho as too many = cheesy.

FexFX,

You must be very good at writing code!

I am an old-timer used to work with the CIV III editor.

Rocoteh

Roland Johansen said:
I know that a great scientist doesn't grant a late technology in the original game, but just gives a certain amount of technology points. It could be that because the technology costs were increased that the standard amount of research points granted by a great scientist are not sufficient to even research an early technology.

I second that theory.

I am at BC 290 in my current playtest and I have not seen the problems
reported so far.

Rocoteh

Whew! Okay, so it could have just been their imagination.
I need to sit down this weekend and actually play my own mod some more!

So far then the only confirmed bug we have is that the above listed map types do not work properly with FX-Huge...

CONFIRMED
Great Plains, Highlands, Hub, Ice Age, Inland Sea, Lakes, Maze, Mirror, Oasis, Pangea, Ring, Team_Battleground, Terra, Tilted Axis, Wheel
DO NOT WORK WITH SIZE CHANGING MODS!
All of these map scripts result in a single land mass without any water, and climate banding, from ice to arid at the edges gradiating to jungle in the very middle.
Their Scripts specify map sizes.
I attempted to make my own versions of these maps by simply inserting the new map sizes...however this DID NOT work!

The following map types should work without a problem:
Archipelago, Balanced, Continents, Custom Continents, Islands.

Hi, I installed and tried running your mod. But the FX-Epic does not show up as one of the options on the game speed menu in custom game setup... ( yeah, I was trying to make my own mod when I ran across this one, I tried it last nite and had this problem)

Did you actually load it as a mod from the advanced menu?
Where did you install it?

FexFX said:
Did you actually load it as a mod from the advanced menu?
Where did you install it?
Yeah, I put it in the mods section and then I ran it. Ive tried other mods and they worked. PS. How many does the first turn take up? Thats usually how I check if the mod is working.

Top Bottom